OlyTacoma's Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Rather than bother you fine people with a new thread every time I have a new question, I figured I'd start a thread to track my progress and pose what I'm sure will be numerous inquiries. These are my first two FJ40s, and I'm really looking forward to getting to work on them. Unfortunately, my on-post quarters limit me to a one car garage. Headed back to Washington state later this year though, where I'll have my 30x50 shop, 2 car garage, and a barn. This forum has already been a huge help to me and I look forward to continuing to learn from you all.

nice patina ,what is the plan
Right now I'm working on getting the 2F in the red '79 running. Got the head off the other night. Four cylinders look ok, but two have some rust in them. Called around to some machine shops. Got quoted $550 - $600 to do the machine work to resurface flywheel, rebore cylinders, crankshaft etc etc. Going to have a mechanic buddy of mine take a look and tell me if he thinks it's worth it. What do you think?
Once I get to a place where I've got more space, my plan is to get the tub off of both of them and concentrate on cleaning up and powder coating the frames, axles, steering, etc. and putting a mild lift (2.5") on each with new spring packs, shackles, Bilstein or OME shocks.
I think I've sourced an F motor with complete 3 speed transmission and transfer case with floor shift, which I think was what my green 74' came with. I'd like to get both motors cleaned and painted/powder coated. Once the chassis are built up, I'll tackle the body on the 74'. It's by far the cleanest and most rust free. The 79' has a lot of previous repairs, bondo, rusted floors, etc. Now I know some won't like this, but I'd like to repaint the 74' white. My first truck was a white 2004 Tacoma TRD. I miss having a white Toyota. Eventually I'll try to rebuild the 79' tub but it will require a lot more work.
Parts wise, I'd like to use as many of the original parts as I can, cleaning them up, rebuilding and coating them as I go. Is there a list somewhere of parts that people commonly powdercoat vs paint in the engine bay? It's important to me that the engine bay be clean. I'd like to replace all the hardware with new stainless or plated fasteners. Replace brake lines. Undercoat tubs with Linex, as well as spray the floors inside the cab.
I have the hard top for the 74', and I'm bouncing back and forth between keeping it or selling it to fund other parts of the project.
Whew! That was long. Sorry about that. Any tips from experienced rebuilders?

my advice is to focus on one 40 , you can build the 74 with the axles and drivetrain from the 79 for exemple
you will get a lots of parts in bags and boxs and a lots of small parts to prep and paint , wirring ,brake and more .....
i can't think of the mess of building two at the same time

white will be a nice color :cheers:

Good news getting back to WA!

A few questions that I've searched but haven't gotten definitive answers on:

- Can the windshield from a 79' be used on a 74'? I gather that the holes for wiring are on opposite sides. Is it merely a matter of drilling a new hole on the appropriate side, or is there more to it than that?

- Does anyone make a rear axle rebuild kit similar to the front knuckle rebuild kits that are available?

Thanks everyone!

Ditto what Lamb said, use the '79 to fill in parts missing on the '74. Also what started green should stay green, just say'in.

Let us know when you get back to WA. I'm 20 minutes from Olympia and don't mind spinning wrenches on cruisers in exchange for a :beer: or two. Good luck! :)

What he said except I'm south of you. Where will the new place be in relation to Olympia?
Good luck

I'll be living in East Olympia, just off of Rich Rd. Great location that feels like its in the country, but within 10 minutes of any amenity I might need. Its also got a 30'x50' shop that I just expanded the door on to 16'. Should be plenty of room for cruiser projects, my tractor, boat, etc.
Plus a big fridge full of beer for when I need a helping hand.

Have some good friends right out that way. Nice area.
:beer:

Hello all. Got back to Washington in November, but just unloaded the 40s at my shop last week. I’ve been so busy since the move that I never had a chance. Turning a few wrenches today, trying to get the green one disassembled. Can anyone tell me an easy way to distinguish 3 spd front driveshafts from 4 spd ones? The transmission and transfer case in the green one were left open to the elements for years and so I think they’re a total loss. I do t know if they’d been swapped before or not.....

Flange chart (4-speed '74 model year and later). Cruiser Outfitters

Can anyone tell me an easy way to distinguish 3 spd front driveshafts from 4 spd ones? The transmission and transfer case in the green one were left open to the elements for years and so I think they’re a total loss. I do t know if they’d been swapped before or not.....

Last edited:
spotcruiser - thanks for the link! Definitely helpful.

Another question I had: given the option of completely rebuilding a 3-spd transfer case (with new internals, as the existing are covered in rust) or cleaning up a 4-spd transfer case (hopefully using the existing internals) what would any of you do? I plan on driving my 40 primarily on hard-surface roads in good weather, probably not much freeway time. Are there shops that will do this work for me, and if so, what price range would I be looking at? I'd like to do it myself, but might not have the time.

These input gears in the transfer case aren't salvageable right? Is there a good source for replacements? The case itself looks to be in decent shape. Is it cost effective to attempt to rebuild it or should I just try to source a working replacement?
This didn't look terrible....
Can anyone tell me what they think is going on with the driveline components that accompanied this vehicle? They weren't all installed per se, but rather hung haphazardly beneath the vehicle in various states of attachment. Based on the link to the flange chart posted earlier, I feel like I have a mix of early and late components. 10 spline, 27 spline, different flange shapes, etc.

Spent some time last week pulling things apart. Progress is slow, but on the plus side, sitting outside in the PNW for 5 mo this doesn’t seem to have done too much additional damage. I’m glad to have this 40 in my shop for good though.

Spent some time last week pulling things apart. Progress is slow, but on the plus side, sitting outside in the PNW for 5 mo this doesn’t seem to have done too much additional damage. I’m glad to have this 40 in my shop for good though.
Looks good

It’s always nice to see progress, nice work. I’m in west Olympia, as others have stated, I would like to swing by sometime and take a look. Like wise, if you’re ever over by the capitol mall, you’d be more then welcome to check out my tiny little shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom