Old Man Emu Shackle Length Question for install, need some help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, I'm beginning the OME install on a 66' FJ40. It would appear that the OME shackles have somewhat changed recently as they are no longer just triangular in shape for the "anti-inversion" feature.

OME is great, but the directions as we all know completely stink. This 2.5" kit has two different shackles lengths and I need to determine which shackle is for the front and which is for the rear.
IMG_4270.JPG

The short shackle is 70mm eye to eye and the longer one is 90mm. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would guess the longer would go on the rear for a bit extra lift for saggy butt syndrome and when you have extra load on the rear. The little anti inversion 'ears' should hit the spring perch I'm guessing. I would test fit without springs to be sure how that 'feature' works.

I had the same issue. I plugged the part numbers in Google and after awhile found the answer. I think I found it on the ARB website. If I was near my computer I could give you the answer as I wrote it down in my build spreadsheet.

OMEGS8 is for front, GS9 for rear.

The antiinversion is a separate plate and is welded to the hanger. acts as a 'stop' for the ears of the shackle.

IMG_1068.PNG

The E-80 shackles have always been that way for the 4x Series, OME GS8 (Front=Shorter) and OME GS9 (Rear=Longer)

Did they ship them loose to you like that? OME boxes are labeled and have instructions too. But, short is front, long is rear. Orientation is important as the anti-inversion fin is only on the one side per shackle.

OMEGS8 is for front, GS9 for rear.

The antiinversion is a separate plate and is welded to the hanger. acts as a 'stop' for the ears of the shackle.

True, but only when you are NOT using OME shackles, all of their 4x offerings (early and late) are built in anti-inversion, the "fin" pictured in the OP is the anti-inversion feature and works quite nicely too.

The weld-on plate is only used with stock shackles or standard flat-stock or H shackles.

True, but only when you are NOT using OME shackles, all of their 4x offerings (early and late) are built in anti-inversion, the "fin" pictured in the OP is the anti-inversion feature and works quite nicely too.

The weld-on plate is only used with stock shackles or standard flat-stock or H shackles.
Roger that! Thx. Learn something new everyday here.

hOOt

The E-80 shackles have always been that way for the 4x Series, OME GS8 (Front=Shorter) and OME GS9 (Rear=Longer)

Did they ship them loose to you like that? OME boxes are labeled and have instructions too. But, short is front, long is rear. Orientation is important as the anti-inversion fin is only on the one side per shackle.
Thank You! that is what I suspected. They are loose because all the little bits and pins went off to plating. I didn't even notice the length difference until I started assembly today. Again, thanks for the help.

Hi all,

Sorry Kurt, gotta disagree with you on this.

Yes, the intention is that the "fin" on that one side plate will prevent shackle inversion. But in reality if you 'wheel the rig hard these don't prevent shackle inversion, only the triangular shackles, or a weld-on plate will.

I ran the GS8 and GS9 for awhile on my 40, but went to 4Plus triangular shackles up front after inverting the GS8s several times on trail runs. The GS9s were replaced with longer, custom shackles and a weld-on plate after swapping in some longer rear leaf springs.

For a mid built, mild-driven 40 the GS8 and GS9 are fine.

Regards,

Alan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...Sorry Kurt, gotta disagree with you on this... Yes, the intention is that the "fin" on that one side plate will prevent shackle inversion. But in reality if you 'wheel the rig hard these don't prevent shackle inversion, only the triangular shackles, or a weld-on plate will...I ran the GS8 and GS9 for awhile on my 40, but went to 4Plus triangular shackles up front after inverting the GS8s several times on trail runs. The GS9s were replaced with longer, custom shackles and a weld-on plate after swapping in some longer rear leaf springs... For a mid built, mild-driven 40 the GS8 and GS9 are fine.

I'd certainly ageee to that in the context of 40's wheeled super hard or OME springs used in SOA applications (my 40 for example). In that case we offer a triangle anti-inversion shackle to replace the GS8/GS9 with the appropriate 15mm pins and length. (Out part number SH60012AR and SH60012AL), they are gold cad plated, hardened pins and greasable just like the OME so they look nice and tidy. It's a free substitution on our kits and something we recommend to customers putting the hurt on their 40's :D

I'd certainly ageee to that in the context of 40's wheeled super hard or OME springs used in SOA applications (my 40 for example). In that case we offer a triangle anti-inversion shackle to replace the GS8/GS9 with the appropriate 15mm pins and length. (Out part number SH60012AR and SH60012AL), they are gold cad plated, hardened pins and greasable just like the OME so they look nice and tidy. It's a free substitution on our kits and something we recommend to customers putting the hurt on their 40's :D
Hi Kurt. What’s the cost for your triangular shackles, and what is the eye-to-eye measurement?
Thanks!

Hi Kurt. What’s the cost for your triangular shackles, and what is the eye-to-eye measurement?
Thanks!

We have Old Man Emu anti-inversion (priced on our website) and high quality aftermarket variants. I'm at a 4x4 event in FL so you'd have to call/email the shop for current inventory and pricing. The OME GS8 (2.75" pin to pin) is the front shackle, the OME GS9 (3.5" pin to pin) is the rear shackle.

I know this is an old thread but hoping to get a response- Is it better to get the triangular OMEGS1 and OMEGS2? Trying to understand the difference (pros/cons) versus the 2 pin versions that I have with the OME kit I just got

I know this is an old thread but hoping to get a response- Is it better to get the triangular OMEGS1 and OMEGS2? Trying to understand the difference (pros/cons) versus the 2 pin versions that I have with the OME kit I just got

Just depends on the month/year of your Cruiser and what you're trying to accomplish. The GS1/2 are for 80+ models, the 8/9+ for earlier. Both are anti-inversion.

Just depends on the month/year of your Cruiser and what you're trying to accomplish. The GS1/2 are for 80+ models, the 8/9+ for earlier. Both are anti-inversion.
Thanks for responding. I was trying to find the difference between the 2 versions of GS1/2 that I keep coming across.

emu-omegs1_lg_xl.jpg

shackles and pins.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom