Builds Old Landy: An HJ45 Story/Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I moved on to see how the trans hump was sitting and see the modifications I would need to make. With the engine sitting at zero degrees front to back the bell housing was really close to the firewall and the top plate was sitting right in between the previous cut holes in the tunnel. The pictures of the modifications I did are just the minimum cuts; they are not final. We still have to put in the cross member and we have an inspection cover that will be going over whatever final cuts, welds, or adjustments we do

960BBAF6-B8A1-480E-B97D-7B32491E6320.jpeg

D4FFD6DD-CCE0-46B8-8F80-70F6A2D5DBF4.jpeg

2F0E4015-F175-4EA5-9599-DF41C451C08E.jpeg

BA51D338-5FC4-4EC5-BE8C-14D13AF2C138.jpeg

F923EE12-E5EC-4BD8-A041-EDB0D79C3FE6.jpeg

Last edited:
Here are some pictures of the inspection covers I plan on using. The white one is off a 40 and the other one is off a 60. We are going to try both and if for some reason none of them work we have a 70 series inspection cover coming.

560279F2-6D44-41F4-B017-D279635D5DFE.jpeg

One thing I forgot was I also threw in the radiator and fan clutch to look at the distance between them. The fan was rubbing the bottom of the radiator a little bit and since the engine was sitting at 0 degrees we didn’t want to mess with that too much. Then my Dad and I remembered when we went to @cruiseroutfit how they had an array of fans and the presets for the mounting points on some where different. We were using a 12HT fan so the mounting point is right in the center, but a 2H fan off an HJ47 has a mounting point more to the front. Now the fan should sit farther on to the fan clutch and give some more clearance.

12HT Fan
38A715E4-F99D-4C2B-AFBB-D2D0693F95B5.jpeg

2H HJ47 Fan
image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
In test fitting your fans and radiator you will want to be mindful of where your bottom radiator outlet is in relation to your PS pump. Also if you’re planning on AC you want to ensure the fan will clear the compressor and all associated belts. With maximum backspacing of the fan you could run into some interference issues.

In test fitting your fans and radiator you will want to be mindful of where your bottom radiator outlet is in relation to your PS pump. Also if you’re planning on AC you want to ensure the fan will clear the compressor and all associated belts. With maximum backspacing of the fan you could run into some interference issues.

That‘s very true. I think that’s next on the list. 👍

looking good. Nice deal on those 2F lining up like that. I'd have no concern, in my opinion motor mount longevity in a truck like this is more of a factor of weight then torque and a 2H/2F difference isn't much. The only way you're going to really hurt them with torque is if you have really deep gearing behind it to back multiply it, and aggressive driving on top of that, then you may run into some issues with the driver's side mount. I doubt you'll have issues.

Sorry for not updating this in a while. We bought a new home closer than the existing barn that will allow us to be daily evening warriors as opposed to weekend warriors. New place gives us a new barn. It took a heavy lift to move the stuff from the old to new place. Hope to get more frequent on progress at the new place. We moved Old Landy to the new barn and is awaiting surgery.

B3F061A1-C533-48CC-8937-151DF5B7B43A.jpeg

....a new home closer than the existing barn that will allow us to be daily evening warriors as opposed to weekend warriors. New place gives us a new barn. It took a heavy lift to move the stuff from the old to new place.
No Morris Minor in?
......they are still big in Ceylon/ Sri Lanka.
We made a short stop over in Sri Lanka .. coming from the Maldives,

snorkeling and island hopping with traditional Dhoni boats....
dhoni-boat-ma.jpg

The Atolls were pristine from mass tourism at this time. Was the only place on the globe we haven`t had a car ...useless there on the Atolls.
maldive-map.jpg

Last edited:
No Morris Minor in?
......they are still big in Ceylon/ Sri Lanka.
We made a short stop over in Sri Lanka .. coming from the Maldives,

snorkeling and island hopping with traditional Dhoni boats....View attachment 2432273
The Atolls were pristine from mass tourism at this time. Was the only place on the globe we haven`t had a car ...useless there on the Atolls.
maldive-map.jpg

Maldives is a paradise. Been there as well. When visiting Sri Lanka for vacation, we drove in Morris Minors. Minis are also popular. My dad had three. On runner, one for body parts, the other for mechanical stuff. 😆

Minis are also popular. My dad had three. On runner, one for body parts, the other for mechanical stuff. 😆
Your Dad is in a line with Niki Lauda, Formula 1 Champions Graham Hill, Jackie Stewart, John Surtees, Jochen Rindt, and James Hunt all gained their first racing experience in a classic Mini.;)
 Mini Cooper jpeg.jpeg

I know a Lady (24 year young) she drives her Mini as her daily,:)

Last edited:
Your shop looks great CD! I must say I’m a little envious right now. I’m just stuck right now. I can’t buy (the market is too hot) and I can’t build (wood is through the roof). I’m having trouble even getting a builder to return my call. :meh:

The Self Preservation Society

The best mini movie ever. And ending.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom