Ol' Blue, my 68' fj40 project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Still need to pull the carb off and clean it out again.

I did pick up some stainless steel cloth mesh to make a "filter" at the carb.

Finally getting back to her.

So, question on the brakes. had a little noise, looks like it is this little wire retainer. Is it on right? Should I just pull it?

That wire loop is hitting the rotor in the middle....

IMG_5364.jpg

I believe upside down. not supposed to rub on caliper but keep ever so slight tension on pads to keep them from "rattling"
Best pic I could find on short notice.
Simple fix.. Take the pin out, rotate piece 180, reinsert pin.. Will take you longer to take the tire off and jack the thing up than to fix.

vented_rotor_1.jpg

Thanks for the picture.....

Anybody have a set of four balanced tires I can nab for a week or so while I find the rattle/shake so I can eliminate my tires from the equation?

The set on my 40 are missing so many wheel weights there is no way they are balanced. You can try with the ones on the 4Runner, have balancing beads in them, but the tread was so choppy before I rotated them, I'm not sure they won't give you problems. I'm still trying to figure out my shake/shimmy.

Kelly and Colin. I have a set at my parents house if needed. New with nubs.

Sent from my phone using IH8MUD

Sweet. Now we need to find a time to do a swap, beer mash tun for tires.

Uh. Loan on both correct? :)
Whenever bro.. If you can hang on a bit I might need your assistance palletizing something and access to a "dock" or similar to load palletized item on a flatbed. Second auction ends Tues.. If same person buys both want to nest them on a pallet. SO.. Hold for a few days please.

Ten four.

made some progress finally. does anyone have a picture of where the overflow bottle mounts???

ForumRunner_20121103_172000.jpg

ForumRunner_20121103_172031.jpg

ForumRunner_20121103_172056.jpg

If it's the same on a '76 then it's on the passenger fender close to the radiator.

100_0540.jpg

FJ40 Engine.jpg

old pic

That is where my horn mounts, so I am thinking that mine goes where your horn mounts.

This is the original picture of when I got it. Notice no overflow line or tank. However, you can see where the old elephant horns were mounted.

Another question.... the little peg sticking out of the radiator that the overflow hose attaches to fell off in my hand yesterday. looks like it was soldered on. Anyone know what to use to solder it back on? Or should I epoxy?

DSC03228.JPG

Last edited:
I have seen them mainly attached on the fender where your horn is and I have also seen them attached to the radiator frame. I have alsi seen horns attached there too. I have used plumbing soilder and mapp gas to fix radiators. I'm sure that would work for the nipple too

Learned that these early years did not have overflow tanks. Just a piss hose that followed the side of the radiator down to let drip.

quick fix

Soldered the stud on with acid solder and bought a little overflow bottle from Rock and made a mount for it.

Been busy on Foo, the new 80 series. Power steering rebuild and replaced the output seal on the transfer case. :clap:

Also took apart the interior and made $7.47!! :cheers:That had to be jingling and annoying the driver....

Working on adding a Scion t1819 head unit, but missing some IPOD cables.:hmm:

IMG_7023.jpg

IMG_7043.jpg

IMG_7039.jpg

Are you sure that overflow bottle isn't from Erik? It looks an awful lot like a bedpan from a hospital.

Sent from some technology I haven't figured out how to use yet.

is that output seal in backwards?

yeah, I had the same thought. Luckily I took a picture of it before I dismantled, so I could confirm it was correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom