Ol' Blue, my 68' fj40 project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

driving around a couple weeks ago she died on the road. Has fuel, but no spark. Working backwards, plugs fine, Wires fine, points not locked shut.

How do I test the condenser (whatever it is net to the points) and the coil?

Coil was getting power, but don't recall how to test a coil. Resistance I think, but don't recall.

Need to get a list of stuff to fix on this and attack it.

This testing procedure is valid for most automotive coils. Using an ohmmeter, check the resistance between the side terminals of the coil. Do this with all of the wires to the coil disconnected. You should see 0.75 to 0.81 ohm of resistance. Then check the resistance between either side terminal and the center high tension terminal. The reading should be 10,000 to 11,000 ohms. Any significant deviation from these numbers would indicate that the coil is defective.

Cool. Thanks. Will check it out tonight.

Got some detail work started. Rolled the odometer back to zeroes after cleaning the gunk off of their that was like glue. I really don't think that thousand mile Digit could turn. Thanks to Eric for the help

image-2060882613.jpg

image-1804280051.jpg

Not in Kansas, and not if you disclose that you did so. In Kansas, any car over 30 years is assumed that the odo does not work.

IMO it is fine as long as you don't try and claim that is the actual mileage. Though I'm sure some state laws are worded such that any tampering at all is illegal.

so its got 100k miles on it lol

Found a rim to be the spare tire rim on Ol' Blue, but I need some meat. Anyone have an extra tire?

It has 34x 9.5 tsl super swampers on it now. I don't care if it is matching size, more want a matching look.

Kelly needs some meat! Funny.

Sent from my phone using IH8MUD

Where's the beef?

Still needing a tire.

Got the speedo in with help from Rob. Got some gauges with issues, but mostly work. Bad news is that we could not get it to start. No spark again. well, at first it started sputtering, then nothing.

So, to recap, I replaced the coil. I have 12v at coil. No spark

Does the voltage regulator matter at all in making it run? Can it be killing the coil?

I really am terrible with points, so I need help understanding what to look at here.

Buy an electronic kit from algazy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using IH8MUD

I have emails into Trollhole to get new dizzy.

Were old coils 6v or 12v? Read somewhere on mud that older coils had some step down in voltage. I did not put anything on it when I did the wiring harness, so wonder if that is issue.

Thanks to Eric Jobe for spending less than a minute to properly diagnose and then fix the bad points at the Dizzy.

She runs again. Now to fix the sight glass window seal on the carb. I have used two different gaskets, and then made my last gasket out of some special cork. Eric reminded me of that two part epoxy for gas tanks. Would be a done forever kind of thing, but I think that I am ready for that.

And yes, coils should be getting about 9 volts, so I need to add a resistor.

Kelly

Well, good and bad news. It is the last week of school for the kids, so that usually motivates me to get something running to pick them up with on the last day. Decided to work on ol' blue. Eric Jobe got it running back earlier this year, but I had a carb leak at the sight glass..(third gasket attempt) Eric reminded me of the putty stuff, so I sealed it up with that and got it fixed. However, carb bowl kept overfilling, so after 4 times of taking it apart, finally got the float set right. Idled pretty good, but not great.

Well, then it started leaking from the lower butterfly area of the carb. So, I am ready to throw the towel in on the carb. Need to research replacement carbs or see if I can have someone else rebuild it. JimC is the guy I think....

Anyway, she did move on her own power this week.... guess that is progress.

Dropped Trollholes distributer in last night and working to wrap up the little things to get this baby completed.

Plan to drive her a little this spring, than put her on the auction block.

Anyone a SOR member? I need to buy a lower dash pad for early fj40. I did not realize they are bigger than the later ones.

Got a blue going in time for last day of school. She cleaned up pretty good.
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1432851952.019257.jpg
. Ordered some pieces this week for it, hope to have it on eBay in the next 30 days.

I needed to change out the leaky water pump and harmonic balance or has been wobbling, so decide to pull it and replace it. Then the while you're at its hit. refurbished the front timing cover and oil pan. Many thanks go out to Erik for borrowing his oil pan easy up tools. Made the job very easy. Also big thank you to Colin for donating engine for parts. If anyone needs some 1f engine parts, let me know. Final thank you to Mr. Toyota who still sells all the gaskets, seals, belts for this 1968 rig.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom