Okie dream man cave! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have no windows in the pole barn and the doors are solid but I’m sure you could easily damage them with a little effort. My smaller doors are 9ft wide and 10’ high and my main door is 18’ wide and 10’ high. These are made by Raynor. I have no clue if they are rated well or not. The torsion springs do a good job on balance but the 18’ door had to go with a door opener. Approaching 70 yrs old soon and opening and closing it 4-5 times a day or more was getting to be a chore and a deterrent if I was going to do a small job inside. The company that built the place told me in April that the doors were going to arrive for the end of June do to supply problems..they arrived July 7. Ordered everything the 24th of February

the front door of my house has an oval glass in it and I am going to be changing it this spring. I am very rural and isolated but…S#!T happens

Can folks share what kind of door your using in your shop? I started looking at the exterior entry doors and figure some type of steel doors 2-6 panel would look best painted black. My original thoughts were using nice door with glass but these are little pricy. Even though I am quite remote I would like to have some kind of deterrent in case the wife are cruising somewhere in the PIG.

The flip side is what the hell is the good in having a steel door when there are 4 6x5 glass windows on each side of the building. I guess I just need some ideas for functional good looking reasonably cost-effective door.

My man door is steel with a 2' x 3' double-pane window with a little itty-bitty mini blind inside. If someone really wanted in they could smash the glass. My security is mostly that: a) we live here and are here most of the time (I work from home), and b) the shop and house are a long way from the county road and can't be seen from it, and you have to go through two gates to get to it.

I have windows on the back side of my shop, so that I can get some air flow through it in the summer.

I have a single walk through door made of steel that was supplied by the builder as part of the package. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality. It needs a dead bolt but otherwise it’s reasonable secure. Otherwise I have two garage doors with no handles or locks on the outside and no windows.

85D3F418-DC79-4E68-8BC2-15DBE064AAF4.jpeg

Get a steel panel (anything from flat to 6 panels) commercial door. They open out. They are relatively secure. I assume we are talking personnel doors and not roll-ups?

Edit: They are typically installed with an integrated steel frame.

Last edited:
Hinge pins on the outside?
The contractor swore it would not work with the hinges inside. When his boss saw it she was not happy. I can’t see any reason it would not have worked with the hinges inside. But I am certainly no door expert.

Check if the hinges are NRP = Non Removable Pins. The hinges when the leaves are open should have a small set screw so that the pins/allen set screw are locked into the hinge. This makes the hinge non removable.
Also ensure that the hinge screws get replaced with 3" screws into the jamb and into the doors.
The small 1" or 1 1/4" that the door comes delivered with are only to hang the door in the frame. Hang the door in the opening then replace with the 3" screws.

I know the door didn’t have a designated UP and could be installed as left or right hand open so they may be NRP. The contractor used 3” screws to install it. I will check the hinges later.

Geez, it looks terrifically huge! This is a beauty

Yeah….haha. I don’t get that sun angle here. Man, that is going to be a pleasure to be in

Got to start buying electrical stuff for it so when it’s a true shell i can get to work under the supervision and guidance of someone who knows what the hell they are doing. No live stuff though.
Figure with all the terrible things that happened in Florida prices will go up again so gonna buy and store enough Romex to do our house next summer. That will get the prices to fall for sure!

Last edited:
That view looks like the “Yellowstone” ranch on tv… beautiful. Nice place to have this giant building…

Wish I had skills and free time to do what Michael is doing on his own.
Got home today and looks like the framers got some good work done. Windows showing up Friday. Due to some health issues with the daughter I haven’t been able to order my doors which will probably bite me in the ass.
I did play the lottery today which I never do so maybe I’ll be able to pay for this thing.
I’ve got no skills but looking forward to the electric, putting up majority of the drywall, flooring and using recycled wood on the office walls
With colder temps approaching the huge wasp nest in my yard is starting to be safe to demo where I’ll save the old exterior.

0BECE33E-584F-4D01-BEE6-3A7117FF0BF0.jpeg

146D9671-1C4A-41BE-8375-E51ACF23021B.jpeg

BF96EFB5-1C17-4DC9-85FF-9BBEF91C5BF2.jpeg

4E07AE0F-82DE-419A-81A3-B4E7C23A80C5.jpeg

Looking great Jon. Get some power and just back an Airstream into one bay. Instant house!
Greg I am more of a Coleman tent right now! However, looking at the pics on the computer versus my phone got me thinking that galvanized roof metal may look good on the upper walls, just a thought, have to ask the boss what she would think.

@WarDamnEagle comments on lighting on @Hugh Heifer shop provides some good info. I wish I had gone about this with the technical aspect he has. I basically have my shop set up with 6 20'x23' bays where each will house a vehicle. The height is 12' over each bay. May original plan was to put 2 15-20k LED flat lights in each bay probably 5' apart. Then in the middle section where the ceiling is 24' I was thinking a single 30K LED each 20' section.
Now I am just assuming how well this will light up each section.

I looked at the tool to assess this but it doesn't account for the open middle 1/3rd of the building. Does this seem to sound like a decent plan or am I way off? My dear friend who is going to help with electricity quoted 30k LED lights but we haven't pulled trigger on anything yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom