Oil change - tips? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
just gettin' started with my GX, oil change today. Had to consult this since my first time with this ride, useful vid.
  1. Anyone using a petcock to help with draining oil? A few guys with 80's do this but I always felt it hung too low in that application and never did it on mine, seems like it might be ideal with the GX.
  2. Oil filter, anyone punch a hole in the used filter and let drain first before loosening and then trying to catch dripping oil?
Just trying to learn from the experts, thx guys.

Fumoto valve works great for this application.

No need to punch holes. Put a drain pan under the filter, and unscrew the filter. There is a little built in funnel for the oil that leaks out. Only nuisance about the job is taking the skid plate off.

Maybe overthinking (fair enough) but figured there might be a trick or two out there with the GX so plowing ahead with questions.

Change was easy enough, more base lining before lift, etc.

I have RCI skid plates and use a Fumoto vavle, have used one for over 200k miles on other vehicles and a long funnel cut to fit and still drain for the oil filter
FloTool Quickfill Funnel - Walmart.com

Last edited:
Fumoto ordered yesterday, will install during my next change. Small thing but was disappointed it wasn't a good fit for my FJ80, glad this works better here with the 2UZFE.

about 6 months ago I had to repair the oil drain hole threads on my girlfriend daughters 2005 v-8 4Runner with 210k miles on it, there where no threads left and temp plug had been holding the oil in. That 4Runner now has a Fumoto plug and I do the oil changes.

That 4Runner, my GX470 and the girlfriends GX460 will hopefully be around for a lot longer and will make it easier for me to do the changes and to keep them from have the above problem.

I have the N model and do exactly what you say with a piece of tubing. Zero mess except for the filter.

Get a funnel like I listed above, cut one side at the top and it helps a lot with the mess

With the fumoto valve, is it possible to do the oil change without taking the skid plates off? Is there any way to access the filter from the top or through the wheel well?

I have another question, what is that stupid weighted shield in front of the filter that bolts into the diff support? I have removed that thing every oil change because it will cut your hands every time and doesn’t allow for a good grip. Can I just leave that thing off?

I have another question, what is that stupid weighted shield in front of the filter that bolts into the diff support? I have removed that thing every oil change because it will cut your hands every time and doesn’t allow for a good grip. Can I just leave that thing off?

That thing is a harmonic damper that they threw on there at the last minute to try to stop a droning noise at 55 – 65 mph.

With the fumoto valve, is it possible to do the oil change without taking the skid plates off? Is there any way to access the filter from the top or through the wheel well?

You still have to take off the front skid plate to get access to the oil filter. Maybe you can access it from the wheel well if you have noodly Mr Fantastic arms but you would have to deal with the mess still.

I "clearanced" the factory skid plate on ours during the last oilchange, should be able to get at that filter now! As long as I can get a grip on it to loosen I'm golden, but I've got a really good strap wrench that should do the trick if I can't get it by hand.

Fumoto valves are great, but I find I don't make a mess changing the oil on this thing like I did on the wife's old '05 Subaru Legacy, that thing shot oil out like it was under pressure! The fumoto valve was a big deal to have on that car!

IMG_3174[1].JPG

Edit: I'm looking at this picture, and realizing I hadn't accounted for the drips when you remove the filter...hmmmm.

Edit: I'm looking at this picture, and realizing I hadn't accounted for the drips when you remove the filter...hmmmm.

Maybe make a temporary bowl out of tin foil
To catch that oil. I do that when i change my motorcycle oil. Toss in garbage when finished.

I forgot to post up last month my first oil change with the Fumoto valve installed and not removing the front skid plate.

The valve was much slower but finally not a mess of oil on the driveway not even one drop. It was extra slow because the engine was cold.

0F2F17ED-7B59-465F-8CAC-E2F78AB629C8.jpeg

And to eliminate the mess down the skid from removing the filter I just cut an empty pasta sauce bottle in half.

D988A020-9846-444C-BBC8-756C562011F9.jpeg

D8110D11-FB26-4131-8D4C-7B1122136C29.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom