Ohio Red 1978 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for documenting all your work, @Chestcutter . You're about 3 years ahead of my own 1978 project, so this is both inspirational and educational.
Tell me about the door straps in your last photo? My dad's 1976 FJ40 (bought used in 1977ish) came with a set of those door straps, and I have them now. Do you know if they were a factory option?

Andrew

I believe these were a factory option, though mine came BTBprod.com.

Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 11.10.04 AM.png

link

Good luck with your '78. I've learned a ton from the folks on here.

Thanks! That solves a mystery I've had for quite a while. Those black brackets, which I could never figure out what they were used for.... mine are pewter, and welded up from a tube and some flat parts, but now it's clear what they are for.

Ohio Red on the way to becoming another Colorado Red.

I haven't posted in a while - a lot going on and less time for work on this truck. Moving out of a big old house after 11 years into an apartment in Chicago, which is no home for a 40.

Red will instead join all of my accumulated tools et al. on 80 acres with a view of the Wilson range.

Day two of the journey West. Colby, KS mile 1192
IMG_4591.JPG

Ohio Red on the way to becoming another Colorado Red.

I haven't posted in a while - a lot going on and less time for work on this truck. Moving out of a big old house after 11 years into an apartment in Chicago, which is no home for a 40.

Red will instead join all of my accumulated tools et al. on 80 acres with a view of the Wilson range.

Day two of the journey West. Colby, KS mile 1192View attachment 3113404
Wow, good for you. Colorado should have a few more trails than the buckeye state.

Red settled in Colorado. 3 days on the road got us there without incident, in time for the aspens to show some color.

Beautiful, hopefully you get to spend more time there vs. Chicago.

It looks happy to be out of the "salt belt!" LOL! I hope I'm not that far behind you... West that is, not Chicago!

So somewhere between post #90 and post #105 you acquired and installed a Warn winch 😂 which still uses your unaltered OEM bumper as best I can tell. I’m curious about details of such as I don’t want to modify my bumper to install a Warn 8274 (there’s one of those for sale locally at a good price but I don’t like the bumper, et al mods required to install). Thanks for any info/details wrt this.

So somewhere between post #90 and post #105 you acquired and installed a Warn winch 😂 which still uses your unaltered OEM bumper as best I can tell. I’m curious about details of such as I don’t want to modify my bumper to install a Warn 8274 (there’s one of those for sale locally at a good price but I don’t like the bumper, et al mods required to install). Thanks for any info/details wrt this.

Maybe this is what you are looking for.

I like that mount @B y r o n thanks for posting that link. Kind of leaning toward the planetary winches right now, but… 😂

That mounting plate looks pretty sweet-
Unfortunately the description states it does not work with upright winches like the 8274. Bummer, I am also looking for an oem bumper solution for the 8274.

I overlooked the 8274 winch in my first read. It seems Warn doesn't make a mount, or at least any longer, for the FJ40. However, they do make one for the Jeep CJ will will probably work with very little modification. It is the Warn 11310. The reason it should work is because the frame width is very close for the CJ's and FJ40's.

11310a_1024x1024[1].jpg

I think the CJ's are just slightly wider so it might require drilling some new holes in the top plate.

Other than this option you're going to have to build your own. They do make some mount plates but they will need to be welded to a plate mounted between the frame rails.

1181_1800x1800[1].jpg

What I don't like about these options is the leverage the winch exerts against the plate between the rails. Options that use a plate welded to the factory bumper end up pulling against the frame and I believe is stronger. I made my own that only required cutting the opening in the front bumper and simply bolted to the frame and bumper. Look at post #47.

There used to be another forum member that was making a kit like the one I built but I don't remember is screen name. I don't know if he is still making them.

UPDATE: I found the member who made the kit. powthief19

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom