Official SD Cruisers Introduction Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1973Guppie Intro

Ok, me first.

I have a 1973 FJ40 and a 1970 FJ55, some more info below on my sig line to both of the trucks.

The FJ55 is a project in the works now, and moving slowly. Picked it up from a guy in AZ that had purchased a butload of parts for like 8 years, taken the thing apart and then decided he didn't want it. Good for me, bad for him. I guess. Thanks to my friend cruiserbrett, I heard about it and picked it up immediately. Flew out to AZ and drove home a huge moving truck with a trailer behind it. I wish I had a pic of my wife's face when I drove up. The neighbors hate me and I could give a rat's ass.

The 1973 I bought with my late dad, when I was 16. It has gone through many changes and is now something I use offroad when time allows and tinker on a bit. Some upcoming mods will be an Orion, get your but over here Brett, :), rear fj55 spring swap for longer wheelbase, metaltech cage, repaint, rear seat, redo axles, AL radiator, and some other stuff.

Who's next, don't make me look like an ass here folks......
calico large.jpg

Me second

...Who's next, don't make me look like an ass here folks......

OK, you're not an ass anymore...not by yourself anyway. My name is Ed and I'm a cruiserhead...more of a social cruiserhead than a hardcore cruiserhead, I can stop anytime I want. Anyway, I owned my first '66 FJ40 Landcruiser 20 years ago and sold it after I blew the motor...talk about young and dumb! I spent almost 20 years kicking myself whenever I saw a Lancruiser and I now have a '73 FJ40 I bought a few years ago. It's pretty much stock except for the springs and seats. Don't plan on doing too much to it except maybe a non-USA 4-speed tranny (lower gears) and maybe power steering (my arms are talking me into it). My eldest son is using the 40 as a daily driver until he goes to the Army in a couple weeks....then it's all mine!

My Dad had a FJ40 20 years ago also and just bought another within the past year...seeing mine all the time was too much for him. I'll try to post some pics.

Ed

Last edited:
First off I would like to thank Noah for burning a few hours of mine by starting this thread. After about a dozen visits, I am finally posting.:flipoff2:

After building and thrashing on Bajabugs for 6 or so years, and then fixing / building many many VW type vehicles, I was over it. Tired of fixing the same junk year after year. Sold the last of my VW stuff and it was time to work on something else.

aboutit_1.jpg

Early 2002, I bought my first fj40. It was not too expensive, and looked good. It ran good, and most things worked.

aboutit_2.jpg

My buddy Seth told me about the pismo event, and I made it up there in 2004. The cruiser by this point was starting to rust threw it's bondo, oh, and I had a slight rod knock. It still made the drive up to pismo, did the runs, and back to SD area...slowly. But I did get a 4" spring lift on.

aboutit_3.jpg

By Pismo 2005, I had put in a 350 crate motor, that I pulled from my 69 chev van. I installed that motor in the van while living in Morro Bay. I also had a rear auto locker in at this point, and added power steering. I put a NV4500 behind that 350 with the original stock TC.

aboutit_4.jpg

A moving truck and my cruiser played "Smush the Honda". My Cruiser was parked where the honda is in this picture, during impact it actually jumped back a whole half a space, all 4 tires left the ground some how.

aboutit_5.jpg

This yielded me ARB lockers, front and rear in time for pismo 06

aboutit_6.jpg

By this time, the cruiser body was needing some work. I had already gotten my feet wet with body replacemnt on the passenger's side kick pannel.

aboutit_7.jpg

Missed pismo 07, while doing frame off work which included an Orion HD, Metal Tech Cage, and lots and lots of time.

I have a short list of things to do before pismo 08, but am excited to go.

SY.

Last edited:
So is this the first new or additional Land Cruiser Club in San diego in the last 20 years or what?

rules? Regs? who is running this?

Oh, here are a few pics:

Cheers,

Michael
TDS Run Grumpy_3.jpg
DSC00240b.jpg
g0018b.jpg

Last edited:
So is this the first new or additional Land Cruiser Club in San diego in the last 20 years or what?

rules? Regs? who is running this?

Cheers,

Michael

Nice looking rig.
Welcome

Not really a club, just an place on MUD for cruiser fans in the SD area to share info, ask ?'s and maybe get together for some runs or wrenching time.

No rules.
No regs.
(other than what Woody already has)
Guppie can be the guy we will blame when/if things go bad. :D

Nice looking rig.
Welcome

Not really a club, just an place on MUD for cruiser fans in the SD area to share info, ask ?'s and maybe get together for some runs or wrenching time.

No rules.
No regs.
(other than what Woody already has)
Guppie can be the guy we will blame when/if things go bad. :D

Good to know,

I have not wheeled much in the last few years (too busy with work and what not) and as much as I love wheeling with just runs, it would be good to wheel with some cruisers. Do you guys mind it it is not a 4x series, I usually wheel my ragtop 70 series these days :)
IMG_0666b.jpg

Good to know,

I have not wheeled much in the last few years (too busy with work and what not) and as much as I love wheeling with just runs, it would be good to wheel with some cruisers. Do you guys mind it it is not a 4x series, I usually wheel my ragtop 70 series these days :)

Hi Michael,

Would love to see that sweet BJ42 or that 70 out on the trail. How is the new shop going?

Tim:steer:

Hi Michael,

Would love to see that sweet BJ42 or that 70 out on the trail. How is the new shop going?

Tim:steer:

Hey Tim,

Well I doubt you will ever see my BJ42 out on the trails (maybe the new owner) but I have plenty of others to wheel that are beter equiped like my BJ70 rag top.

Nothing new on the new shop, just making do with the old one, but know that i have gotten rid of some of my LC's I have more room, i am now down to 8 Cruisers :D

Cheers,

Michael

Whats up guys. New to SD and love to wheel. :steer: Only been to Corral Canyon so far but still fun. Anyone know of any cool Advanced type trails close enough to make a day trip? :smokin:

no rules, no regs, just don't be a fxxxtard and you will be okay.

for some local good trails, maybe head up to big bear, a few good runs up that way.

I am going to try and make it to pismo, I may just drive the 40 up there, I am going to be selling the 40 sometime next year and building an fj80, so this would be a good chance for a roadtrip in it.

I say we get a roadtrip cruiser line up going together and roll deep.....

Noah

I will just copy mine from the SoCal 80's section. :cheers:

1.) My name is Mark but everyone calls me by my last name Kuz (Pronounced Cuz)
2.) I love just above Downtown San Diego in South Park.
3.) 96' LC FZJ80 Un-Locked
Mods so far: 285/75/16 Cooper Discoverer SST MT's, Slee Skid Plate, Eclipse Speakers, John Deer Headlight Bulbs, Rear Cargo Light, Flares removed & Durabaked, Middle Seat Recliners, Visor Fix, Refurbished Hanna Rear Bumper & CDL (Hazard) Switch.
Mods in the NEAR Future: Temp Gauge Mod, Diff Breather Extensions, PHH, Starter Contacts, & birff job with new rotors.
Mods in the Future: Custom Sliders, These are my plans for a Cargo Box & FOR 3" Lift.
4.)My rig is a daily driver, I enjoy all types of trails and hope to enjoy the rocks more once I get sliders.
5.)I am a Jack of many trades and don't master any of them! :whoops: I make a living detailing Mechanical & Plumbing in new construction but I also used to do photography for magazines and websites on the weekends. I also worked for a company for a year doing architectural renderings using Photoshop and I play around with web design. So if you need any help with one of these fields let me know and I will offer some advice or lend a hand.
6.)Pictures:
Day 1 Photo
IMG_0113.jpg

My rig in Death Valley with the new Durabak lining.
D1-28.JPG

My refurbished Hanna Bumper
023.JPG

Last edited:
Intro

I am a SD native living Scripps Ranch currently have a 1997 FZJ80 with ome heavy/med lift, metal tech sliders, slee short bus $$$$ etc. I sold my 1972 FJ40 a few month ago. From Smurf Mobile to Space Ghost. Haven't had much opportunity to break in the 80 Yet and am still builing and fixing things. Still working on a rear bumper, roof rack, ac repairs, hose replacments etc. no time with a new born baby girl.
FJ40 2.jpg
DSC01664-2.jpg

no rules, no regs, just don't be a fxxxtard and you will be okay.
Noah

Thinking of making up some club cards for us so I can get a discount on my classic car insurance. I think Noah, just qutoed the club motto, that will be printed on the cards.

CA - San Diego Cruisers
no rules, no regs, just don't be a fxxxtard
and you will be okay.

Hey guys! I just finally found this forum. I have been hibernating lately and not been very active!!

Name is Ian, I am a native San Diegan as well. I am currently a ME student at SDSU and am a full time surfer and only part time wheeler.

I bought my 1966 FJ40 back in April 2008, and got it in running order, but, there are just too many issues still that need to be taken care of before taking out to any trails.

My favorite thing to do is camp/surf/explore in Baja. My dad has been going down with his dad since the 50's, and actually my family started going into Mexico since the 30's, so I guess its in my blood.

I am a Toyota 4x4 enthusiast like all of you too, and have a 1996 4runner, and have only owned Toyotas. My dad owns a 2003 Tundra, and his last rig was an 1989 FJ60.

DSC04865.jpg

DSC04868.jpg

This is my 96 4runner
stuffed-1.jpg

DSC04571.jpg

pictures3.jpg

And my buddy is also a Toyota fan, here is him going through the Squeeze in an Fj80...

DSC04544.jpg

DSC04545.jpg

Last edited:
greenbomber, nice trucks, how much lift does your 96 have? also, interested in your buddy going through the squeeze, any body damage? I have an 80 that I am going to build up and am wondering if it will fit through there?

Noah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom