Cooper Discoverer STT's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last week I purchased a set of 285/75R16 Cooper Discoverer STT's. I had the centers siped and ended up getting the set for $756 from Commercial Tire. I originally talked them down to $200/tire including siping. Then when I went to pay for the tires I whipped out my 10% discount card (acquired through my work, can get more if needed) and the person ringing them up took the 10% off the agreed upon price. Thought it worked out pretty well.

I have noticed that they are slightly noisier than the Toyo Open Country A/T's that I had on there previously. However, I just may not be that attune to tire hum but I hardly notice it, even when taking a trip to McCall, Idaho this last weekend.

While in McCall, I also had an opportunity to try the tires out in 8 inches of fresh, heavy snow. No problems at all with traction. I even tried hard braking on some backroads which had packed snow to see if they would let go, but they did surprisingly well and gripped the snow. However, I must say the the temperatures outside were in the high 20's/low 30's which made the snow a lot more grabby. I can't speak for their lateral grip, as I didn't have an opportunity to hit any off-camber stuff.

Now for the goods:
LX450 004.jpg
LX450 003.jpg
LX450 008.jpg

I've got the same feet in a 315 and I agree 100%. They performed flawlessly in snow, balance well, and are quiet on the freeway. I'm on my way to Moab tonight to give them a try on slickrock. Unfortunately the forecast is snow in Moab this weekend so the rocks will surely live up to their namesake.

BTW, they look as good on your Lexus as they do on mine :grin:

A friend of mine just put these on his Tacoma a while back. So far he has nothing but great things to say.

My BFG's are too new to get rid of just yet. But, I will definately be watching everyones reports.

:cheers:

Hey! You are almost local to me. I'm in Mountain Home. If you want to head out some time shoot me a PM. Those were my second choice, I went with the Toyo MTs. One cool thing about those tires is that they are available in a 37" on a 16" rim. Other than Swampers there isn't much available in a 16" rim that big.

Nice license plate!

It will be interesting to see how the side wall holds up. With the 30 degree angle on one of the belts. I would think it is almost a blend of bias and radial construction. I would think the side wall would be more protected from the radial side wall split.
Eric when did this tire come in 37's? I have not looked recently, but the sizes when I did, were not over 33's. Great to know that cooper went to a bigger size in this tire. Can not wait to hear more about these tires. later robbie

These tires are advertised heavily on one of my International 4x4 mag. Seems that there's the cat's meow in Australia!

I had the STT in 37 12.50 on my 03 Ram 2500. I only had 13,000K on the set when I sold the truck, but I swear they wore better than the BFG A/T I had previous on the Ram in 35 X 12.5!

A little loud but it is a very sweet sounding roar to my ear.

I am putting the STT on my 93 FZJ-80 tommorow in 315's. I have had them on order for a month. Cant wait.

Pictures please!

alia176 said:
These tires are advertised heavily on one of my International 4x4 mag. Seems that there's the cat's meow in Australia!

Dunno about the cat's meow but some people over here think they are the duck's nuts!:flipoff2:
I don't have any experience with the STT's but had some 31" S/T's a while ago on the 80. They were brilliant as an A/T tyre but I found that if used hard on rocky ground the weight of the 80 would cause the tyres to chip badly, in fact one of the tyres completely lost one of the side lugs! I see that Cooper now make the ST/C so the chipping problem must have been known about. Does anyone know if the STT's share the compound with the old tyres or the new ST/C's?
BTW, a lot of outback tourers use the Cooper A/T's but everyone I've talked to about them reckon they just bought them because of the Cooper reputation, but they haven't had a good run out of them (puncture resistance, wear, grip, etc.).

I have the ST's on mine and did encounter chipping . One of the rear tyres lost 3 tread blocks on a track with sharp rocks .The tyre was replaced under warranty. I was told to lower the tyre pressure a bit more and there should be any more problems. I now drop to 28psi on rocky tracks and there doen't seem to be any more chips appearing

Which track did you chip your S/T's on aussie cruiser? I lost my tread block on Prado Pde at LCMP while running 18psi. Not really a hardcore track but sharper rocks IMO than the rest of LCMP. I changed to 33" Brigestone Dueller M/Ts and found they suited my driving style and locations better and have since changed to Wrangler MT/Rs in the 285/75R16 size.:cheers:

Just returned from Moab, my inaugural run on the new 315 STT's (except a prior snow run). I ran at 18psi on Flat Iron Mesa, it was snowing, wet, muddy, and at times slippery. Did all obstacles, including Tilt-a-whirl and Easter Egg Hill without a hitch. The tires performed flawlessly, gripped well in wet, mud, snow, and on the slickrock. The trip down was pleasant as the tires are relatively quiet on the road (of course my fluffy hides the noise a bit better than a regular 80). Coming home we ran into white-out blizzard and snow packed roads and they kept us on the road.

I have nothing but good to say about these tires. Glad I went with them instead of MT/R's.

Mickldo said:
Which track did you chip your S/T's on aussie cruiser? I lost my tread block on Prado Pde at LCMP while running 18psi. Not really a hardcore track but sharper rocks IMO than the rest of LCMP. I changed to 33" Brigestone Dueller M/Ts and found they suited my driving style and locations better and have since changed to Wrangler MT/Rs in the 285/75R16 size.:cheers:

I did the damage on a hill at a property near Warwick. It was't all that steep but it was loose shale . It was that sharp you could shave with it. The rock sliced through the rubber like a hot knife through butter. I also got a flat when a piece of rock went through the tyre between the tread blocks. A Hilux dualcab running MTR's got a flat also on a different track. The rock went through the tread block.

Prado Pde is loose and shaley as well. The more solid rock doesn't seem to worry them just the loose stuff. Maybe it's the spinning tyres trying to get traction in the loose stuff that cuts the tyres.

Mickldo said:
Prado Pde is loose and shaley as well. The more solid rock doesn't seem to worry them just the loose stuff. Maybe it's the spinning tyres trying to get traction in the loose stuff that cuts the tyres.

I agree. I did have some wheel spin when i did the damage.

Price check on the 285/75 R 16 Cooper Discover STT? What did you guys pay? I was quoted $723 for 4 tires installed.

Thanks,

uzj100

Like I stated above, I payed $756 installed w/siping. So $723 (or $180.75/tire) sounds pretty good when compared to most other MT tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom