OEM roll bar mounting hardware and location (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i am adding an OEM rollbar to my ‘73. I have the smaller jump seats in there already, but will have to relocate them a bit.

The rollbar has been powdercoated and I have new rubber and new hardware for the bar itself, but unsure of the mounting hardware that attaches the bar to the tub itself.

Also could someone share details or photos of exactly where the seats and bar mount to the tub? I don’t want to guess.

Thanks.

If you don't get a reply by end of day - I will post pics when I get home. Sorry to make you wait ;)
I'm currently installing new family cage. Just need to finish painting it.

No mystery to locate the roll bar. The bar fits over the rib in the front and flat area in the back. You will see only one rib will look right. Did the thirty-five years ago to my 68 mainly to get three point seat belts. Believe one or two vendors sell the bracket that go underneath in the wheel well with the fixed nuts. Believe those have one larger bolt per location for the rear seat belts. Get that point should be easy to know which is which. I have a 76 and 79 with the factory roll bars.

You shouldn't need to relocate your seat mounts... Everything should bolt in to their existing holes.

If the OP has a 73 then it originally had long jump seats. I installed short jump seats after the roll bar since when my kids were young I ran a forward facing Bronco rear seat. When they were bigger I switched to jump seats. Then with the roll bar already there was easy to locate.

Mine has short jump seats, I suspect those went in when the quarters were replaced. They also seem to be forward, maybe to make room for the speakers.

E3D99595-C408-42BC-8BF5-6B7B23CCC85E.jpeg

2463DC53-C512-45D5-A6B1-F7CF10BEA73E.jpeg

I hope this will help. I don't have my seats mounted right now but the holes are there. Also remember that there is a small backing support under where the roll bar mounts under the fenders. You may want to add those for support as I don't think yours has them because it didn't come with the roll bar stock.

0610161938a.jpg

0610161938b.jpg

Mine has short jump seats, I suspect those went in when the quarters were replaced. They also seem to be forward, maybe to make room for the speakers.

View attachment 1789505

View attachment 1789507

Possible a PO didn't have jump seats and found and installed these or used these to fit the speakers.

The pictures posted show how easy it is to install a factory roll bar in the correct place. I would suggest using the bracket that originally spot welded in the wheel well. Drill a small hole where you think it should then place the bracket in and see if the hole line up. The bracket attaches to the vertical and well as the horizontal wheel well. Really no adjustment. If the roll bar is tweaked at all things won't line up. Easier to made adustments to the roll bar than the brackets.

Does anyone have photos of the bracket, or a source to buy them?

Just purchased one roll bar wheel well bracket to test fit in my 1976 South American spec Fj40. I’m installing factory roll bar with the original longer jump seats that came with my truck. The FJ Company uses this in their Colombian restorations. I will need to weld some steel channel to bar and then drill and tap for seat mounting bolt.
2B26B5A9-90E9-4C37-9FDB-4FE41CB2246E.jpeg

4B0D0A78-4CFB-4E9E-BAC7-6DC2002101D0.jpeg

58D23CDB-4828-4D00-A512-870ACD39E1DC.jpg

Last edited:
the seat fasten to the tub, not the bar.
That’s correct for US spec 40’s with the smaller jump seats. Some of the later model SA spec trucks came WORB (without roll bar) and had longer jump seats. The roll bar prohibits the seats from bolting to the tub. There are extensions offered by SOR but I like the additional structure the welded steel provides for the seats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom