OEM Roll Bar FJ40 73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, Does anyone know if Roll bars for FJ40's have any big changes over the years. I bought a 73 with no Roll bar and looking online for one to install and the only one I am seeing is a 78.

Also, Is there anywhere I can find an instillation guide or is it just obvious where to drill when you get the bar in the back?

There was a color change in 79. And I think the radius of the bends also changed in later years but the foot print, and overall dimensions are the same for the most part. Some an upper seat belt attachment point for the 3point seat belts.

I don't think 73's were offered w/a roll bar. The later models should work. I think the mounting was is line w/the inner fender support which can be seen looking thru the rear wheel well opening. There may be better option on roll bars in the aftermarket. A lot of folks around here like the metaltech products.

Thanks very helpful. Mine currently has 3 point seat belts bolted to the hard top, which I am hoping to rectify.

Like Johnny posted the 74 (9/73) was first year of factory roll bar. They were paint until 1/79 when they were grey to match the lighter door panels.

74 thru 76 were one style. 77 the radius of the side bars changed to clear the handles for the rear vent windows. 78 the housing for three point seat belts moved the base of the roll bar. I believe 78 is when the extra pad was added to roll bar where the pieces bolts together. 79 the bar changed to grey.

74 thru 77 jumps seats were the same. 78 the fold down leg was added. First part of 78 still had the pads on the bottom that supported the seat bottom on the wheel well were still there. 79 seats went to grey.

Several dealers installed Smittybuilt roll bars like this one.

IMG_4390.JPG

Several dealers installed Smittybuilt roll bars like this one.

View attachment 1453976

I bought a Smittybuilt rollbar like this from Man-A-Fre back in 1974 shortly after buying my 68. In the eighties I downgraded or upgraded depending on how you look at it to a 79 factoy rollbar to gain three point seat belts to work with the 74 bucket seats I installed. Still have that rollbar and the kit used to install the jump seats. Think part of the reason I bought my 70 was because it was easier than trying to undo all the mods I did to my 68. Other than a early 2F it's stock.

@brian yes the bend on the rear aspect of the roll bar changed after the '76 year, when the small vent window came about in '77 and later. Cannot access the vent window well if you have a '76 or older roll bar on a '77 or newer truck.

Hey, Does anyone know if Roll bars for FJ40's have any big changes over the years. I bought a 73 with no Roll bar and looking online for one to install and the only one I am seeing is a 78.

Also, Is there anywhere I can find an instillation guide or is it just obvious where to drill when you get the bar in the back?

78 was the first model year to have the lower bracket for three point seat belts. One of the vendors offered the bracket that was spot-welded to the underside of the wheel well with fixed not. This provided support. Would have to check to be 100% sure but to locate it the front bar mounted over the ridge on the wheel well and just over flat section in the back. Center side to side and your done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom