Odd noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, i have experienced this for quite some time now but i don't think it is doing any harm. I hear this sound when i am driving but usually only after i take a sharp turn, after i complete the turn i hear this sound that sounds like metal rubbing against metal, like ka ka ka ka. And it the sound gets faster as i gain speed but then levels out and goes away all of a sudden. Not that major at all just sorta annoying.

ka ka ka sounds coming from where??? Rear diff??

Did you run over a crow?

Seriously, noises are hard to diagnose over the web. If the periodicity of the noise varies with wheel rotation, then it is probably related to something that rotates. It helps a lot to localize the source more accurately. Have someone else drive it around a turn so you can stand outside and listen.

All things I've seen cause this kind of noise: Very worn brakes, warped rotors, stuck caliper piston, loose caliper mounting bolts, front disc brake pad clips are distorted or bent and rubbing on wheel, wheel weights contacting something, loose lug nuts, loose hub caps, broken (cracked) wheel.

If this is a fj40 with parking brake on the t-case, don't forget to check there too.

Check you're spindles, mine was cracked and caused the drum to rub on the backing plate when I made turns. Thank God I caught it before the whole 9 yards came off.
Jack the ft end up and check for movement/play with the tires on first, then pull you're hubs and check for a hairline crack in the spindle just to the outside of the polished area the wheel seal rides on. Good luck....

Could be pads contacting rotors and calipers. Check and see if it stops when you lightly press the brakes.

Happened to me, turned out to be the disc brake cover on one side was contacting the rotor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom