O R I O N (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am having problems cross referencing the the part numbers from the instruction guide from AA to the part numbers listed on the boxes that came with the case. I have the case schematic index that came, but I want something that says that gear G24 from the instalation guide is part number 040015 on the box. I've looked through this thread and I've emailed AA a couple times, but never received a reply from them. Has anyone ever made a list or know where I can get one?

Charley
G24 is the high speed output gear. It’s the smaller of the two gears that has a bushing in the center.
The exploded view/diagram on page 14 clearly shows the gear. Not sure what’s giving you trouble.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

16679583640874325789596261685283.jpg
20221106_101012.jpg

So what I am looking for is a cross reference between the parts list above to the numbers on the box (below).

I don’t think that exists …….. is it really necessary?!
Agreed. There is only one hi-speed gear, and the box is marked, as if that was even necessary. It’s kind of like expecting that Toyota would put the PNs for all the parts into the instructions of the FSMs.

IOW, a degree of familiarity is expected.

We have 4 Orion’s on our “build list” right now. Got the first two done late this week.
We now offer the spacers required for the transfer cases behind the factory 4-speed. The second Orion we built required new spacers because the donor case spacers were in rough shape, which is pretty common.
We have these spacers manufactured for us at a local machine shop. Starts out as a tube of DOM ( THIS IS A MUST OR THEYLL CRUSH ) that’s cut to length, goes off to hardening, then they’re faced off and ready to go.
We’ve had these made for us since used spacers aren’t really around and Toyota discontinued them many years ago.
Here’s a pic.

8C4DC230-D273-4E52-95C2-E78B471EBED2.jpeg

We have 4 Orion’s on our “build list” right now. Got the first two done late this week.
We now offer the spacers required for the transfer cases behind the factory 4-speed. The second Orion we built required new spacers because the donor case spacers were in rough shape, which is pretty common.
We have these spacers manufactured for us at a local machine shop. Starts out as a tube of DOM ( THIS IS A MUST OR THEYLL CRUSH ) that’s cut to length, goes off to hardening, then they’re faced off and ready to go.
We’ve had these made for us since used spacers aren’t really around and Toyota discontinued them many years ago.
Here’s a pic.

View attachment 3212700
Will be down next Sat to drop Mine off

@orangefj45 can an orion be built with stock gearing? I have a rock box, no need for 4:1 in the t-case.

Anyone blown one of these things up yet?

Mike
A handful have “failed” in big tire ( 39” or more ) rigs with plenty of HP and/or lots of weight. No case failures that I’m aware of but some broken gear teeth.

@orangefj45 can an orion be built with stock gearing? I have a rock box, no need for 4:1 in the t-case.
That’s not an option from AA but in theory the 34mm gear set from a post-production OEM replacement set “should” work.
I’ve never built a case with that configuration but I’ve built about 300 Orion tcases at this point and even more factory tcases than thet.
The post-production OEM 34mm case is pretty uncommon. I’ve rebuilt a handful and have one or two of them here at the shop.

A handful have “failed” in big tire ( 39” or more ) rigs with plenty of HP and/or lots of weight. No case failures that I’m aware of but some broken gear teeth.

Do you have any pictures of failures on hand?

Which gearwheels have you seen shed teeth?

Thanks,

Mike

Do you have any pictures of failures on hand?

Which gearwheels have you seen shed teeth?

Thanks,

Mike
I do …….. somewhere. But @Firemedic831 will be dropping his off with us soon. We’ll be rebuilding that case due to a tooth failure on the idler gear IIRC.

What’s your concern?

I do …….. somewhere. But @Firemedic831 will be dropping his off with us soon. We’ll be rebuilding that case due to a tooth failure on the idler gear IIRC.

What’s your concern?

Nothing in particular. I just haven't seen any pictures of any failures online. I figured they must be out there albeit uncommon.

If you could share some pictures i would find it interesting!

Thanks again

Failure wise the Orion has been tuff. the lower interior case bolt backed out on mine and wasted a few teeth on gears as expected, thats the only failure and it could have been prevented if I had looked in there for regular maintenance. The nose cone can be a concern but I have not had any problems there. Mine is fairly quiet too.

Failure wise the Orion has been tuff. the lower interior case bolt backed out on mine and wasted a few teeth on gears as expected, thats the only failure and it could have been prevented if I had looked in there for regular maintenance. The nose cone can be a concern but I have not had any problems there. Mine is fairly quiet too.
I could never trust those fasteners ;)

AL9nZEUYk1clEB-gUa728wMO22ui6Q1whOPqoa4CS44SxG6jJew4EfGDBP7Z-ZXB_BxWl8pdvXBSYf4A4QNPKyQkmbysCv6L1IM=w937-h1249-no

Mine had been quiet for a long time. I have about 50,000 Miles on mine and its either starting to get a little noisier or the truck is that much quieter. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm going to see premature bearing wear due to contaminated oil. I was originally missing a spacer which caused the input gear to walk into the case. It went for about 15k mile this way before I caught it unfortunately.

I would LOVE to get my hands on one of those billet nose cones:
AL9nZEXlIA5Hlj58h_hXMF7_m3PAl9HOUUqBqpS-54oifYvAaMaahKpWMaI7UO0aA53DQhf0dIoJBxlojkgGIGuIgXEVbjyCXtU=w640-h480-no
AL9nZEW9F2PXtXCw3-HNQ11HmYzMkw8frDGAvyN4Ox-66uNzbG0ELjILnABiwLxXDmEEe8r4skamlnQCt9NwXCci54Bu9hlF-XM=w640-h480-no
AL9nZEVVnPoYlTmrE1x7nL86z3OTG0exvqFezcsMBdtTH_uJW86Qge-clAhYZf1oWEPnTjHiDYar0RvQjTlynY2IjRS18r8LIyQ=w640-h480-no
AL9nZEXScvPUPeKDoPflywvAwCiTVWlHX8XUgtbw66ULeENGwoQp6VKwlORzbtX9PFEMoUCTTIheS2l-pXJGy3KZaRxQdcR9cPg=w640-h480-no

I keep a cone with the bearing setup in my spares bag. I've never broken one however.

Mike

Last edited:
I had a similar problem with a mounting bolt walking out into the gears.
I also have the gear moving on the output of the transmission.
Man I need to get in the shop…

I only know of one Orion case failure from use and that was behind a LS swapped 40 that was being wheeled HARD on some rocks and chalk that one up to flat out abuse.
As long as the case and fork pass inspection on delivery ( see back a few pages O R I O N - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/o-r-i-o-n.139377/page-39 ) They seem built to last.

Last edited:
Is the Orion still available with a 3:1 gearset? I'm only seeing 4:1 on AA's website..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom