O R I O N (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think it was the fork. I asked AA on friday about it and he said they got it straight. On another note, I wheeled mine all day today, drove on the road, the trail, up and down the mountain and never had the first problem with mine :) I did modify the AA fork when I put it together two years ago.
How did you modify the fork. I’m still on the bench , so I can change stuff before I put it back in service.

The fork would not slide nice with the detent rod in. I filed the inside of the slide so it was straight. If you looked at the fork, it was cocked off just a bit and would bind. I took off very little but it is smooth now. I think the fork twisted on axis during heat treat and was not square with the rod, just ever so much. I do have the AA twin stick set up and took my time (hours) making it just right so it did not hit the body any. I must of had it on and off a dozen times lol! It shift good and stays in gear so I must have done something right.

The fork would not slide nice with the detent rod in. I filed the inside of the slide so it was straight. If you looked at the fork, it was cocked off just a bit and would bind. I took off very little but it is smooth now. I think the fork twisted on axis during heat treat and was not square with the rod, just ever so much. I do have the AA twin stick set up and took my time (hours) making it just right so it did not hit the body any. I must of had it on and off a dozen times lol! It shift good and stays in gear so I must have done something right.
I was talking with @rstoddard at the beginning of his Tcase job about how the twinstick is at odds with the shift fork.
Especially with the Orion, people are backed into a corner and forced to put higher pressure on the fork to hold back excessive lateral pressure from the gears.
Unfortunately, the moment arm supplied with the twin stick is a lot shorter than the stock one, so you’re trying to overcome more resistance with less leverage.
:banghead:

I was talking with @rstoddard at the beginning of his Tcase job about how the twinstick is at odds with the shift fork.
Especially with the Orion, people are backed into a corner and forced to put higher pressure on the fork to hold back excessive lateral pressure from the gears.
Unfortunately, the moment arm supplied with the twin stick is a lot shorter than the stock one, so you’re trying to overcome more resistance with less leverage.
Mark, I am not sure it is the twin stick. I did all my mods before I put the cover back on the case or hooked a shifter to it. I could see the fork was not square in the shift collar ever so slight. After the mod, the shift collar was square to the gears and slid back and forth smooth. I am not sure that is the issue others are having. I played around with it on the bench, shifting it and watching the collar slide over the gears till I was happy.

I’ll look at my fork again, but I seem to recall thinking it looked ok. Doesn’t help that I’ve been working on this as time allows over three months. I’ll check it again when I get back in the garage.
I hear you on the shift linkage. AA was out of stock on kit and it looked pretty straight forward to replicate. Well at this point I would have been time ahead if id just waited for them to restock it, but maybe not…
I was contemplating this the other day actually. I mimicked a home built I found on mud and it does end up much shorter than the stock arm. Maybe I’ll try and get the stock piece back in the mix. Only issue I can see (from the couch) is this was one of the sources of slop in the old set up. Tim and a welder I suppose….

Mark, I am not sure it is the twin stick. I did all my mods before I put the cover back on the case or hooked a shifter to it. I could see the fork was not square in the shift collar ever so slight. After the mod, the shift collar was square to the gears and slid back and forth smooth. I am not sure that is the issue others are having. I played around with it on the bench, shifting it and watching the collar slide over the gears till I was happy.
Rob

Do you have any front wheel drive rods leftover from twin stick installs? I’ve got a classified ad looking for a couple, but no action on it.☹️

Rob

Do you have any front wheel drive rods leftover from twin stick installs? I’ve got a classified ad looking for a couple, but no action on it.☹️
Mark, Get me some pics of what you are looking for. I will look for you.

Mark, Get me some pics of what you are looking for. I will look for you.
It’s the rod that sticks out of the front wheel drive shifter box.

It’s the rod that sticks out of the front wheel drive shifter box.

Let me look this weekend, I should have one

😎

Let me look this weekend, I should have one

A7535AC0-8EB2-4D76-BE50-45C1E6608D28.jpeg

I am having problems cross referencing the the part numbers from the instruction guide from AA to the part numbers listed on the boxes that came with the case. I have the case schematic index that came, but I want something that says that gear G24 from the instalation guide is part number 040015 on the box. I've looked through this thread and I've emailed AA a couple times, but never received a reply from them. Has anyone ever made a list or know where I can get one?

Charley

I am having problems cross referencing the the part numbers from the instruction guide from AA to the part numbers listed on the boxes that came with the case. I have the case schematic index that came, but I want something that says that gear G24 from the instalation guide is part number 040015 on the box. I've looked through this thread and I've emailed AA a couple times, but never received a reply from them. Has anyone ever made a list or know where I can get one?

Charley
Can you post some pics of the instructions you’re referring to?

Happy to help.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers

I am patiently waiting for the moderators to approve the AA link that I provided for the instructions.
There are 15 pages of instructions. Could you be a little more sir if ic as to which page/paragraph your question pertains to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom