NV4500 to HF2AV Open Source Adapter Plans (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The very first post in this thread shows the output shaft having been cut shorter, turned down and having negative grooves cut in it.
So, the TC gear above definitely can't be right. So, I guess we need to figure out the correct part # for the correct TC gear. I know there is the upgraded heavier input shaft for the nv4500, but I have never heard of such a thing for the output shaft, so I am going to assume for the moment that the pictured output shaft above is correct.

The very first post in this thread shows the output shaft having been cut shorter, turned down and having negative grooves cut in it.
So, the TC gear above definitely can't be right. So, I guess we need to figure out the correct part # for the correct TC gear. I know there is the upgraded heavier input shaft for the nv4500, but I have never heard of such a thing for the output shaft, so I am going to assume for the moment that the pictured output shaft above is correct.

I agree. I think the Toyota TC gear I ordered is incorrect. It's too large and also has way too many splines (more than 19 at least).

I'll work on identifying the correct TC gear PN.

Evidently there is an input shaft in between the trans output and the t-case gear. HF2AV Transfer Case Input Gear Question

The Toyota PN is 36211-60030.

T_Case_Input_Shaft.jpg

Last edited:
Evidently there is an input shaft that adapts from the trans output to the t-case gear. HF2AV Transfer Case Input Gear Question

The Toyota PN is 36211-60030.

Well I am confused. We are discussing mating a NV4500 2wd output shaft to a HF2AV transfer case. So are you saying that this adapter made by Toyota is supposed achieve this? If so great, but why would Toyota be making such a thing? I think I must be missing something!

T_Case_Input_Shaft.jpg

Well I am confused. We are discussing mating a NV4500 2wd output shaft to a HF2AV transfer case. So are you saying that this adapter made by Toyota is supposed achieve this? If so great, but why would Toyota be making such a thing? I think I must be missing something!

No, Toyota PN 36211-60030 is the Transfer Input Shaft.

EB1_E591_A_0_EDE_4107_8_F0_C_4_F32_DC29659_D.jpg

It transfers torque from the transmission output shaft to the T-case gear. It was never designed for the NV4500. It is designed to mate an OEM-Toyota-transmission-output-shaft to the OEM-Toyota-transfer-case-input-gear. It is contained within the OEM Toyota transfer case. It's not really an "adapter" per se. I misspoke above.

In order to use a NV4500 transmission with a 2WD output shaft (male), you need to machine the NV4500 splines to match the Toyota transfer case Transfer Input Shaft (female). So I'm trying to order the Transfer Input Shaft to send along with my NV4500 2WD output shaft so the machinist can get the splines matched correctly.

Does that make sense?

Last edited:
Ok, that makes sense now.
Thank you for clarifying.

Sorry. Stinking auto correct. I CAN send the part to Dutchmen if you want. Pm me if I am slow to reply on here as I’m mia for weeks at a time.

No, Toyota PN 36211-60030 is the Transfer Input Shaft. It transfers torque from the transmission output shaft to the T-case gear. It was never designed for the NV4500. It is designed to mate an OEM-Toyota-transmission-output-shaft to the OEM-Toyota-transfer-case. It is contained within the OEM Toyota transfer case. It's not really an "adapter" per se. I misspoke above.

In order to use a NV4500 transmission with a 2WD output shaft (male), you need to machine the NV4500 splines to match the Toyota transfer case Transfer Input Shaft (female). So I'm trying to order the Transfer Input Shaft to send along with my NV4500 2WD output shaft so the machinist can get the splines matched correctly.

Does that make sense?

You don’t really want to send the shaft. They want the female splines that match the splines you want machined to test fit. So the input gear in the tcase is what you are after.

You don’t really want to send the shaft. They want the female splines that match the splines you want machined to test fit. So the input gear in the tcase is what you are after.

I think there’s a misunderstanding. I have the HF2AV input gear.

2_EC97990_0_D58_4_EA6_8469_87_D59838_A4_A6.jpg

It’s too large to machine the Dodge 2WD shaft and does not have 19 splines (because there is an intermediary shaft between the transmission output, and the HF2AV input gear). This is not what Dutchman needs.

B5_FE601_A_1_B4_A_4_DFE_8126_752_E5_FF3194_A.jpg

The intermediary shaft is female with 19 splines. It has the splines Dutchman would need to match the splines on the Dodge 2WD shaft machining.

T_Case_Input_Shaft.jpg

EB1_E591_A_0_EDE_4107_8_F0_C_4_F32_DC29659_D.jpg

So it goes:

Trans Output Shaft -> Toyota transfer input shaft -> Toyota T-case input gear

70_D958_B1_1_EBA_4396_8_C33_EE117_EF07187.jpg

Maybe I’m missing something? When you sent your Dodge 2WD shaft for machining, what did you send?

Last edited:
You sir are indeed correct. My memory failed me. I sent them the shaft you have pictures, plus I cut off a chunk of output shaft from the trans and sent that along. They said that wasn’t needed but I already had it so figured why not :). Here’s a pic of what I sent and would be happy to send for others.
6F2C2FDA-2BA5-4436-8679-2D6F01A704ED.jpeg
43DEA876-DBF3-47B2-B22B-5792806DCA3A.jpeg

Split case 19 spline gear fits trans output. @Will Van if you want I can send in the gear with my main shaft if you have Dutchman confirmed. Maybe if we have several of the same work they will be more inclined to do it.
I also have NV4500 4wd tail housing and the HF2AV separated if anyone need measurements. Time to contact my friend to see if he still wants to make the adapter.
74BECCC6-55B2-4426-AAAA-D2AD261628E1.jpeg
128652E2-D08F-4B5A-9F58-E24714B9EEFC.jpeg
A38834AD-5633-404C-86A5-0081CA25D046.jpeg

Split case 19 spline gear fits trans output. @Will Van if you want I can send in the gear with my main shaft if you have Dutchman confirmed. Maybe if we have several of the same work they will be more inclined to do it.
I also have NV4500 4wd tail housing and the HF2AV separated if anyone need measurements. Time to contact my friend to see if he still wants to make the adapter.
View attachment 1806964 View attachment 1806965 View attachment 1806967

Great intel on the split-case gear!

Since you have the trans out, what is the length of the output shaft on the Toyota OEM trans? From the mounting surface to the tip of the output shaft?

Same question on the HF2AV input. What is the depth on the female 19 spline input?

Last edited:
Since you have the trans out, what is the length of the output shaft on the Toyota OEM trans? From the mounting surface to the tip of the output shaft?

Same question on the HF2AV input. What is the depth on the female 19 spline input?
I can get that as I am getting all my measurements fine tuned before cutting anything. I have tore down my spare TC so I wouldn't have to lug it around to my adapter maker. I am hoping to have a wood adapter cut out this afternoon here at work on the CNC.
IMG_0787.JPG

Output shaft sticks out about 2 1/4” from the 80 series trans.
1A72F669-9382-4978-89B9-E00A2B18909F.jpeg

I can get that as I am getting all my measurements fine tuned before cutting anything. I have tore down my spare TC so I wouldn't have to lug it around to my adapter maker. I am hoping to have a wood adapter cut out this afternoon here at work on the CNC.
View attachment 1815516

Let me know if you find anything off and we can update the drawing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom