Not another fj60 gas tank recall issue. Called Toyota corporate today. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes! They did it. Although I don't think they replaced all the hoses that they were supposed to. It also took a lot of harassment. But they will do it if you really bother them :)

This is really good to hear, my 83 FJ60 has not had the recall done and has an appointment at the local Toyota dealer this coming Wednesday to be "assessed" before they can order the parts to complete the recall. I hope that I end up with the same outcome as you!

Took my 1983 FJ60 in to the dealer today to have it looked at and parts ordered to complete my outstanding fuel tank recall. After waiting an hour someone came out to get me and told me "none of the parts are available for this recall". He just kept saying that they simply could not order any of the parts including the fuel tank itself. I pushed a little bit knowing that almost all of the parts are still available. He said "I will talk to the service manager and get back to you." On the way home I got a call from the dealer and they just reiterated "the parts just aren't available and there is nothing else we can do, sorry." Ugghhh!

I called Toyota corporate and they opened a case up for me and told me they would contact the dealer and I should hear something within two days.

I did some research on safety recalls at Motor Vehicle Defects and Safety Recalls: What Every Vehicle Owner Should Know | Safercar.gov | NHTSA and the following is an excerpt from the site:

"Once a safety-defect determination is made, the law gives the manufacturer three options for correcting the defect – repair, replacement, or refund. In the case of a vehicle recall, the manufacturer may choose to repair the vehicle at no charge; replace the vehicle with an identical or similar vehicle; or refund the purchase price in full, minus a reasonable allowance for depreciation."

FYI: it looks like there is not time limitations to the right to a recall remedy. There is a 10 year time limit that applies to how long after a safety recall is found that the recall has to occur but from what I can find there is no time limitations on remedies actually being performed.

No. Just the 60.

If you have skillz, you can make a 60 tank work for a 62.

I'm not sure if my '90 FJ62 has had this recall service or not.
What options are there for the 62? A few times, I've had gas fumes entering the truck, and
actually dripping from the passenger rear quarter panel (by the fill cap). It only seemed to happen when the tank was max full, and seemed like it happened on very hot sunny days? I figured it was some kind of vapor expansion and then leaking out the upper part of the system, or the various fuel lines (all old-n-original) going to this plastic device that I think is some sort of Fuel Evaporator? I was thinking of replacing all the hoses and put in new higher quality hoses and ring clamps to see if that eliminates the problem. But now I'm paranoid, could this be leaking from the tank itself? It never happens if I only fill to between 3/4 and full... so that's why I figured it's some kind of upper leak?

Anyways, add it to my list of projects.... what do people do about the 62 tank? Thanks.
-Jay

PS... does the longer range tank work well? How does the spare tire fit?

Took my 1983 FJ60 in to the dealer today to have it looked at and parts ordered to complete my outstanding fuel tank recall. After waiting an hour someone came out to get me and told me "none of the parts are available for this recall". He just kept saying that they simply could not order any of the parts including the fuel tank itself. I pushed a little bit knowing that almost all of the parts are still available. He said "I will talk to the service manager and get back to you." On the way home I got a call from the dealer and they just reiterated "the parts just aren't available and there is nothing else we can do, sorry." Ugghhh!

I called Toyota corporate and they opened a case up for me and told me they would contact the dealer and I should hear something within two days.

I did some research on safety recalls at Motor Vehicle Defects and Safety Recalls: What Every Vehicle Owner Should Know | Safercar.gov | NHTSA and the following is an excerpt from the site:

"Once a safety-defect determination is made, the law gives the manufacturer three options for correcting the defect – repair, replacement, or refund. In the case of a vehicle recall, the manufacturer may choose to repair the vehicle at no charge; replace the vehicle with an identical or similar vehicle; or refund the purchase price in full, minus a reasonable allowance for depreciation."

FYI: it looks like there is not time limitations to the right to a recall remedy. There is a 10 year time limit that applies to how long after a safety recall is found that the recall has to occur but from what I can find there is no time limitations on remedies actually being performed.
I have a spare tank off of VIN# JT3FJ60G7B0002567 that shows as not having any open recalls if you are interested..?

What options are there for the 62? A few times, I've had gas fumes entering the truck, and
actually dripping from the passenger rear quarter panel (by the fill cap). It only seemed to happen when the tank was max full, and seemed like it happened on very hot sunny days?

Many 60s and 62s do this - (at least, mine did/do). Just don't fill the tank to the max on a hot day and park it (with driving it far). Most of the time, driving home from the gas station will suck down a gallon of gas, so that gives you some headroom right there.

I just started the tank replacement procedure today. 1985 FJ60. At first I was told NLA by the service writer.. So I called their parts manager with the part number (77001-60241),and it turns out there are 2 in San Fran, and 10 nation wide. (go figure). The part number for the kit (04001-03160) references back to the tank#. The parts manager assumes that means it all comes together. I then called the service writer back and they are going to order parts, then let me know when they are in, to do the recall. I will keep you all posted on how it plays out.

I have a spare tank off of VIN# JT3FJ60G7B0002567 that shows as not having any open recalls if you are interested..?
Thanks for the offer! Hopefully I will still be able to get the free one but if not I will keep you in mind.

Sorry if this is a new question, Im new to landcruisers. Picking up a 1985 FJ60 this weekend thats been sitting in a garage for 15 years. I searched the vin number at Toyota and no recalls came up. Did some cruisers get tanks that were ok?

IIRC Jason, that search at Toyota website only goes back to 1999, it will not reveal a recall on our cruisers. You have to contact Toyota or a dealer to find out.

The dealer called and all of the fuel tank recall parts are in. I have it scheduled for next Tuesday. They said it will take a couple days to do. I will post the results when it's done.

The dealer called and all of the fuel tank recall parts are in. I have it scheduled for next Tuesday. They said it will take a couple days to do. I will post the results when it's done.

Couple of days? Mine was done in less than a day.

Couple of days? Mine was done in less than a day.
It is a really small dealership and I think the service writer is just trying to cover his bases in case it takes longer. It's not my D/D so I will just be happy to have a new tank and lines even if it takes a little longer.

I just had the dealership where I live order all the parts for me. Everything is available except for the fuel lines which are part of the kit apparently. They tell me that they will have to pull the lines and send them off to be reproduced. Other than that seems to be smooth sailing. Just adds a couple days to the time frame.

I have my 84 registered in Toyota Owners Online and it pops up for the seat belt recall everytime I login to log any maintenance or services I have performed so I don't think the 99 threshold is 100% accurate.

Sounds like a cool website. Is it able to look up the vehicle's service records? I just tried to do this and they said my VIN was "not a Toyota VIN"... Did you have to do anything special to get your '84 registered on the site?

Sounds like a cool website. Is it able to look up the vehicle's service records? I just tried to do this and they said my VIN was "not a Toyota VIN"... Did you have to do anything special to get your '84 registered on the site?

I dont remember here is a screenshot I havent completed the recall yet but it stored my VIN

upload_2016-7-15_12-46-21.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom