Builds Not another "Fire Truck" build......HZJ75 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got my bed all welded up, and dropped to powder...went to pick it today...and they must have had a blind guy powder it, as it was not good. Completely uneven all over, large areas barely covered. So, they are re-coating. I don't love another coat without the best bond, since the existing layer is already fully cured, but what can you do?

IMG_1257.jpeg

IMG_1100.jpeg

IMG_1233.jpeg

Got my bed all welded up, and dropped to powder...went to pick it today...and they must have had a blind guy powder it, as it was not good. Completely uneven all over, large areas barely covered. So, they are re-coating. I don't love another coat without the best bond, since the existing layer is already fully cured, but what can you do?
Very nice work man. Looks awesome.
How did the second round of power coating go?

Got all the last touch ups done and onto painting.
Forgot how much work there is in prep and painting, but its nice to be working in my own shop for a change.
To do:
  • Add rubber mud flaps, got some 1/4" thick ones
  • Cut out the 4x holes in the aluminium floor plate for the tie down rings
  • Add top bulb gasket to the face of the side out draw.
  • Rivet down the floor and put everything back together
  • Instal the tire carrier and spare tire
  • Take it out and scratch the s*** out of all my hard work :cautious::hillbilly:
for the other parts of the truck
  • There are no speakers, harness or radio. After a lot of thinking Im just going to put a nice portable bluetooth speaker in there.
  • Wire in and add some USB charges, Any suggestions? Anything from newer Toyotas that work well ?
  • Center Console, Anyone added one? What options are out there, anyone have a link to a DIY console build they liked?
  • Having an issue with the Oil Temp Sensor on the dash, it bounces some times its 55'C one minuet, 130'C then next minuet 85'C loose wire? bad sensor unit? Where is the sensor located?
  • put together a spares kit, Anyone with HZJ75 experience know what to buy now to have for future use

Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 12.47.19 PM.png

Got all the last touch ups done and onto painting.
Forgot how much work there is in prep and painting, but its nice to be working in my own shop for a change.
To do:
  • Add rubber mud flaps, got some 1/4" thick ones
  • Cut out the 4x holes in the aluminium floor plate for the tie down rings
  • Add top bulb gasket to the face of the side out draw.
  • Rivet down the floor and put everything back together
  • Instal the tire carrier and spare tire
  • Take it out and scratch the s*** out of all my hard work :cautious::hillbilly:
for the other parts of the truck
  • There are no speakers, harness or radio. After a lot of thinking Im just going to put a nice portable bluetooth speaker in there.
  • Wire in and add some USB charges, Any suggestions? Anything from newer Toyotas that work well ?
  • Center Console, Anyone added one? What options are out there, anyone have a link to a DIY console build they liked?
  • Having an issue with the Oil Temp Sensor on the dash, it bounces some times its 55'C one minuet, 130'C then next minuet 85'C loose wire? bad sensor unit? Where is the sensor located?
  • put together a spares kit, Anyone with HZJ75 experience know what to buy now to have for future use

View attachment 3551233
For a DIY center console, I always liked what @shermantank55 did in his Kitsu build, utilizing a tall .50 cal ammo can. Not much fab work and a heck of a lot cheaper than a tuffy box or ordering from oz. Practical, lockable and affordable. There are many different sized ammo cans to customize the height and width according to your needs.

There's a few refrigerator consoles floating around that fit that space and if you want to order from Australia, Cruiser Consoles have a bunch of cool stuff- center consoles and roof consoles

For a DIY center console, I always liked what @shermantank55 did in his Kitsu build, utilizing a tall .50 cal ammo can. Not much fab work and a heck of a lot cheaper than a tuffy box or ordering from oz. Practical, lockable and affordable. There are many different sized ammo cans to customize the height and width according to your needs.

There's a few refrigerator consoles floating around that fit that space and if you want to order from Australia, Cruiser Consoles have a bunch of cool stuff- center consoles and roof consoles
Thank you sir. I’ll check all those out

Very nice work man. Looks awesome.
How did the second round of power coating go?
won't see until this coming Friday, fingers crossed they used a light to check the coverage this time. I was real understanding last week, I will not be very friendly if they screw it up again. Costs me half a day of work and 1.5 hr round trip drive each time.

Well finally got the back done.
Took a few days to get cleaned up and painted.
No major hiccups

The back has 4 tie down points
Riveted the floor down with steel rivets and used silicon between the steel and checkered aluminum plate.
Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 12.50.02 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 12.44.59 PM.png

Last edited:
The slide out draw turned out really nice.

I wired the extra revers lights in the OEM lights. They came together good.

Cut some mudflaps from some Buyers 12"x18" 1/4" thick, just cut them to the size I wanted, and this image shows where i cut out for the exhaust pipe on the passenger side.
Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 12.57.30 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 12.45.12 PM.png

Spare Tire carrier
Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 12.45.21 PM.png

Really happy with how it turned out so far, just took a long time with all the other things going on in life.
You can fold down all 3 sides for loading or remove them altogether if a guy needs to run it as a flat bed.
Simple, strong and practical.

I took the truck for a good run, ol 1HZ is has not even hit 15,000 klms yet so she's a few hundred thousand shy of getting run in. Purs like a bag full of cats.
Now its time to start running it as my daily and most things from here are just fun extras and day to day things.
I have a 20mm and tall 50mm ammo can coming to see which I like better for a center console build.

My wife still thinks the dome top sticks out like a 3rd nut on a greyhound.... but I like it.

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 12.45.46 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-14 at 12.45.52 PM.png

Recommend you paint over the lot numbers on the side, some people get very antsy when they see what is supposedly a 20mm container in your vehicle.

This is inspired me to make one of these as well, was trying to fit a fridge in that spot, but they're all too long and interfere with the parking brake.

Great choice in seat covers!
The extra pockets and added comfort they add over the factory vinyl finish has been something I appreciate every time I sit on them

Great choice in seat covers!
The extra pockets and added comfort they add over the factory vinyl finish has been something I appreciate every time I sit on them
Ya had a bit of a hard time figuring out which model to order but as no one seams to know what OEM seats these trucks came with.
But they turned out perfect fit and are very very nice seat covers, highly recommend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom