Northern CA: Gold Valley~Snake Lake~Deer Lake~Sierra Buttes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Last edited:
I've been thinking that I'd like to take the dirt roads from Downieville all the way to gold lake, anyone else interested in that?

There's really just one road that you can take from Sierra City to Packer Saddle, then you can go from there along the ridge to Gold Lake OHV Trail and the other OHV roads in the area. It starts here:

http://goo.gl/maps/cuGQi

It's pretty popular with mountain bikers, in the uphill direction, so no rally racing.

Guys this looks SA WEET - I am headed out there this weekend to camp and even though on my 100 series has a winch, 33's, 2.5 inch lift and high clearance bumpers/sliders I think I'm going to pass on Snake Lake descent due to tight clearances between trees (daily driver so don't want to risk body damage). I also want to avoid the section called "the pinch" that is between two tight rock ledges.

Hoping I can run the trail clockwise coming from Gold Lake and stay at Little Deer Lake, camp, and then turn around retrace my route the next day. I am hoping the section called "the pinch" that is narrow is between Snake Lake and Little Deer Lake - can you confirm? If that is the case then I'm good going clockwise to Little Deer Lake! Otherwise I'll need to go elsewhere...

Thanks in advance for your feedback and would love to meet up with ya'll on a group ride someday!

Confirmed that the pinch is uphill between Snake and Little Deer, further up there's a big ledge that requires lockers or a winch.

You can enjoy the trip plenty without going downhill from Little Deer. From Little Deer, walk down around the first hard left and another 100 yards to see the ledge. Go to the top of Snake Lake Tr and check out the view.

Deer Lake Tr starting from Gold Lake Tr towards Packer Saddle is good too. Don't miss the view from the top. Fill up water at Packsaddle Campground well pump; tastiest water anywhere. Drive to the top of the Sierra Buttes and then climb to the top of the lookout.

This loop is a blast! I hit it counter clockwise this summer and just kissed my rear quarter panel in that tight spot between snake lake and little deer lake. Character building. Have fun!

Talk about blast from the past, @Ronny Grady and @kingkonger708 you guys should join us next year.
Every year around end of July we gather around Gold Lake and just chill, relax and have some fun on the
trail or in the water check out the Gold Lake trip post.:cheers:
Gold Lake 2018

We did that area in July. Some of my favorite country in the high sierras.

It wasn’t until we hit Deer Lake that I realized my winch controller was left on the shelf in the garage.

Lots of stone stacking ensued.

00C54EE8-D8CE-4DB7-BFB9-8BA4D59D48E3.jpeg

CA94D431-EB9C-4CEF-BF87-132C897FE52D.jpeg

718CD6C9-9989-4010-AAB6-063CDC26EFFA.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom