No more depo headlights (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The question of DOT compliance is interesting since it’s the bulb.

I've never heard that. Everything I've ever read says that both the housing and the bulbs must be marked with a DOT stamp to be legal.

Luckily, I live in Oregon, which didn't require headlights to meet national DOT standards until something like 1999. I can always feign ignorance and say the car came with the Depos, so long as they meet Oregon's old, state-specific lighting and alignment standards.

ORS 816.030 made it an offense to sell non-complying lighting equipment. There might be a harsher federal penalty, too. Depo probably just needs to label them as "offroad use only", but the limited sales probably aren't worth the effort.

All of those bigass supplemental lights bolted all over the front of many offroad vehicles are "For Offroad Use Only!" Who cares?

So, who remembers their French?? I took 2 years of Spanish, most of which I have forgotten. Anyone have the exchange rate? I do have a friend in Scotland, but he travels all over Europe every few weeks.

roughly $1.25 = 1 euro

I like my Depos pretty well, but if I were in the market for headlights now if be looking at the upcoming 7" round option. Reap the benefit of the Jeep-JK-wagon-train's market force.

Yep, some that we wheel with go on about real wheelers having round headlights. Pair them with a vertical bar grill and will have the offroad creed you looking for, something like this, maybe mod it to fit?
Grille-68091526AA-for-Jeep-Patriot.jpg_350x350.jpg

I've never heard that. Everything I've ever read says that both the housing and the bulbs must be marked with a DOT stamp to be legal.

Luckily, I live in Oregon, which didn't require headlights to meet national DOT standards until something like 1999. I can always feign ignorance and say the car came with the Depos, so long as they meet Oregon's old, state-specific lighting and alignment standards.

ORS 816.030 made it an offense to sell non-complying lighting equipment. There might be a harsher federal penalty, too. Depo probably just needs to label them as "offroad use only", but the limited sales probably aren't worth the effort.

The internals of the housing, bulb mount, etc look virtually identical to my ‘04 Sequoia. I suppose it could be true that Depo never got them DOT certified, but that stuff wouldn’t be unique to the 80.

I’m honestly surprised we’ve had a good option like this given the limited market and I’m glad I have a set. If they come back, I might pick up a set of spares.

But if there’s a bunch of state by state stuff to deal with they’ll probably be content to sell to Oz.

I doubt its a DOT thing. They can still be sold as off road only without the cert.

Yep, some that we wheel with go on about real wheelers having round headlights. Pair them with a vertical bar grill and will have the offroad creed you looking for, something like this, maybe mod it to fit?
Grille-68091526AA-for-Jeep-Patriot.jpg_350x350.jpg

I dunno about "real wheelers", but real Jeeps have grilles like this:

Jeep-Gladiator-1962-01.jpg

The plastic fantastic JK is particularly reprehensible, being an expensive redo of the TJ, inflated for the growing American waistline. And no inline 6! But 7" round headlights sure have come a long way thanks to their great sales numbers.

Last edited:
There are always the Anzos. DOT and SAE approved, but plastic lenses.

51h%2BEeKBjuL._SY400_.jpg

I wouldn't panic. If the 7" rounds get produced, you'll probably see used Depos in the classifieds.

dang.. i just bought a set in october for $240 shipped form the same guy on ebay.

7" rounds would be amazing just becasue of the LED applications. JW speaker..truck lights etc.

I bought a set of Depos that I was going to install this summer. But after seeing the 7" Round am going to hold off, until they are available. So might have a set of Depos for sale.

excuse my ignorance..im not on here that much.. is someone making the 7" rounds??

EDIT: I just saw the post about the rounds... dang. If didnt spend all day on a computer and actually had a desire to surf the web at night i would know these things!!!

There are always the Anzos. DOT and SAE approved, but plastic lenses.

51h%2BEeKBjuL._SY400_.jpg

I wouldn't panic. If the 7" rounds get produced, you'll probably see used Depos in the classifieds.
Yeah, these light and those black "projectors" are absolute garbage. I would never run them.
The DEPO lights are glass lenses and are the perfect set for a projector retrofit.
I have done several on 4Runners. They turn out amazing.

Yeah, these light and those black "projectors" are absolute garbage. I would never run them.
The DEPO lights are glass lenses and are the perfect set for a projector retrofit.
I have done several on 4Runners. They turn out amazing.
My 80 came with these and I thought they were pretty terrible. Then I replaced them with Depos and realized just how terrible the old ones were. Huge difference. The old ones were faded of course, but they were downright dangerous. The light went everywhere and it was so bad during snow storms, I actually drove without headlights once because I couldn't see with the light reflecting off of snowflakes all over the place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom