No gas in float after rebuild...here's why (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Eastwood.com has quite the selection for rust solutions. Tons of how to videos as well. Personally, I would just get a new tank if it was bad enough.
I will keep pool my fingers crossed it isnt to bad. I read a lot guys get theirs serviced a Radiator place. We have some here locally if it comes down to that. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
Did you check the fuel cut solenoid? Maybe it isn't grounding properly. Sorry if this was covered already.

Did you check the fuel cut solenoid? Maybe it isn't grounding properly. Sorry if this was covered already.
Yes...it is working and clicking properly. So I did Gman's recommendation for blowing in the fuel line inlet and air passage was blocked while air horn was upright and the rubber point was gummed up as well. When i screwed it out, it was gunked up with this green crap. The pic on the left (new from the last generic carb kit) is the old one compared to new one in Keyster carb kit (I like that the Keyster needle valve has a solid point. Yes, the mesh screen was collasped a little since I had to reuse the old since my generic carb kit didnt have one...unlike the Keyster kit. Also, I pumped gas in a jar per G-man and this is the color of my gas...ironically the same green color of the green crap that is settling in my carb and gumming up stuff. However, there was no particles that was coming through. Does anyone know why its this color? I will look in my gas tank to look.
SmartSelect_20210128-163902_Gallery.jpg

20210128_163349.jpg

Looks like copper leaching...maybe from brass? Electrolysis? Could there be acid in your tank? It sounds stupid but I haven't seen corrosion like this before. Could it be fuel stabilizer?

Looks like copper leaching...maybe from brass? Electrolysis? Could there be acid in your tank? It sounds stupid but I haven't seen corrosion like this before. Could it be fuel stabilizer?
@MoaByte, i did Powermaxx fuel System Cleaner (Made in Germany) in the tank...hmmm. Come to think of it when i broke the carb down the 1st time, none of the brass looked like what Im experiencing now. Most of the time I use Techron.

Last edited:
@MoaByte, i did Powermaxx fuel System Cleaner (Made in Germany) in the tank...hmmm. Come to think of it when i broke the carb down the 1st time, none of the brass looked like what Im experiencing now. Most of the time I use Techron.
My uncle once pumped 20 gallons of fuel into his tank from Chevron and within a mile ruined his engine. He found approximately 5 gallons of water in the tank. Chevron bought him a new truck.

Re the corrosion in carb: Since it was only 2 weeks since you rebuilt the carb, I'm thinking that's related. What was in that carb dip? If there was any acid involved, the carb needed more thorough rinsing (Ultrasonic with water only...rinse quickly with alcohol). Very unlikely that the PowerMax fuel system cleaner caused that brass corrosion.

Last edited:
Re the corrosion in carb: Since it was only 2 weeks since you rebuilt the carb, I'm thinking that's related. What was in that carb dip? If there was any acid involved, the carb needed more thorough rinsing (Ultrasonic with water only...rinse quickly with alcohol). Very unlikely that the PowerMax fuel system cleaner caused that brass corrosion.
Nothing in the carb dip. This was a new container of it. I just got an ultrasonic cleaner so will do that with water only...then blow everything out with air then put on the new carb kit. I remember that after the carb dip i rinsed with hot water....i thought throughly.

If your fuel tank looks okay then this^ makes sense.

Nothing in the carb dip. This was a new container of it. I just got an ultrasonic cleaner so will do that with water only...then blow everything out with air then put on the new carb kit. I remember that after the carb dip i rinsed with hot water....i thought throughly.
If I remember correctly, when I dipped my carb a few years ago I sprayed it all off with a can of carb cleaner. I bet you left residue somewhere and it’s reacting with the fuel.

Look at the positive side. You've narrowed your problem down to the tank/lines and you did it BEFORE rebuilding the carb again. What does your in-line fuel filter look like? It should be on a fuel hose over on the passenger side between the firewall and the fuel pump.

Look at the positive side. You've narrowed your problem down to the tank/lines and you did it BEFORE rebuilding the carb again. What does your in-line fuel filter look like? It should be on a fuel hose over on the passenger side between the firewall and the fuel pump.
My fuel filter looks ok...IMHO. what you think? In put a new one on there before this project. So do you guys think I need any new new jets or curcuits or just put them in the ultrasonic cleaner with water?
20210128_200223.jpg

Last edited:
My fuel filter looks ok...IMHO. what you think? In put a new one on there before this project. So do you guys think I need any new new jets or curcuits or just put them in the ultrasonic cleaner with water?
View attachment 2568144
That looks fine. Try the ultrasonic and see.

It's okay to to fail as long as you keep trying. You are providing a benefit for all who may follow so thanks for sharing. I got a spare stock carb I may part with if all else fails.

It's okay to to fail as long as you keep trying. You are providing a benefit for all who may follow so thanks for sharing. I got a spare stock carb I may part with if all else fails.
Thanks so much. I couldnt do it with all of yalls input. I would like to talk to you abiut that extra carb. I will send you Pm to discuss..thank you

So there is no green tinted stuff in the fuel filter? What did the old filter look like? Maybe the issue is between the filter and the carb.
There is no green stuff from what i can see in the fuel filter. The only thing between filter and carb is the pump and fuel line correct?

There is no green stuff from what i can see in the fuel filter. The only thing between filter and carb is the pump and fuel line correct?
Unless someone has done some funny business, yes.

Unless someone has done some funny business, yes.
From what i see its stock. The truck ran really well about 11 months ago. I havent changed out the fuel pump. Question when I held a jar to the fuel line and it was po umping into the glass jar... should it periodically pump put in one second intervals? How should the fuel act while doing this and how much should come out to fill 8 oz?

probably depends on your rpms. The fuel pump has an arm that contacts a cam lobe and when the cam turns the tang goes up and down and so it's like a positive displacement pump

generic image of a mechanical fuel pump (not toyota or kyosan)

1611931516918.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom