Nightmare Covid Shop Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
groups.msn.com
Ugh, In 2020 Dec the wife and I decided to build my workshop. She got her house/kitchen remodel, could rant on that but save it for later. We contacted an Trusted drawing person from our area. Back and forth, guy will not answer his phone or text messages or emails. Back and forth on size and dimension. Each time I go see him its 2 blasts of the train horn and beating on his office door. Then Wifey decides it has to have a bathroom, ok so we add another 5 feet in length. Then she wants an office with another bathroom, oh wait its now a 1 bedroom Appt. Add another 20 feet no sweat! Final dimensions are 50ft long 30 wide.

We go back and forth about size some more and now its a 2 stories tall and has an apartment up top with everything. And it grows to 36ft wide. After months of fighting we finally have plans to give to a builder. (just shoot me) what comes next :-(

8BD3C8F5-F2FD-4068-8DA6-8DF3C3F5015E.jpeg

6F440498-3367-47A5-A7E0-0C196AFDEF52.jpeg

273323C5-6575-49F3-8BA1-CEB58614A38B.jpeg

B7A6A479-6240-47C2-926C-81A6D981EEF6.jpeg

Builder #1 - oh yeah we can build that, weeks later we get a cost break down. Brace yourself........ $300K just for the building, not including the tree removal and concrete removal and new slab. Covid lumber prices are through the roof if you can get what you need. Covid Windows are 10 months out, covid Electrical possible short falls on wire and if they do have it its coated in gold $$$. Defeated and realize this just wont happen this year or in the next few years. Quiet Anger fills the days after....

Builder #1 - oh yeah we can build that, weeks later we get a cost break down. Brace yourself........ $300K just for the building, not including the tree removal and concrete removal and new slab. Covid lumber prices are through the roof if you can get what you need. Covid Windows are 10 months out, covid Electrical possible short falls on wire and if they do have it its coated in gold $$$. Defeated and realize this just wont happen this year or in the next few years. Quiet Anger fills the days after....

$200/ft (assuming $50-60k for slab and earthwork) is a little high for a stick built shop, even with an apartment. You can go with a prefab metal building, but you are going to still be at $150/ft, but that is for a nice metal building. Even if material costs decrease, labor is not anytime soon.

What windows are you looking at? Anderson 100 series or any Milgard are like 20 weeks max.

So we turn to the basic metal buildings and another fighting session on how my wifey doesn’t want to drive past the metal building. Eventually, we settle on metal building. With brick side skirts around 3 sides. Metal and materials are still difficult. Took the basic shape and made it one level.

C9C7A7DF-175C-46D7-B6E7-577E40EA4DA9.jpeg

C52D0D0F-F55D-40DE-89BC-BD9CB201CAB3.jpeg

B40FBC9F-D933-4C7F-A4E4-8D09430E26F5.jpeg

Color version of painted finish. This is why I’m all over the place. Wifey is a realtor- crazy times !! Been non stop since Covid hit. People want out of the democratic controlled nightmare states. And then a lower deck on the mother - on- laws house that I had to build if we want to spend anytime during the summer months there. 3 adults and a teenager sank the pilings and $800 worth of lumber later. just the lower part. …. Ugh!

4194A92C-756F-44E2-947D-386A43EAE2E6.jpeg

4CE6515B-2D4F-4AA8-834B-B36D44B7E509.jpeg

DBF97FE7-982C-4DD0-A2C6-595D24DEC83B.jpeg

3350565F-A2B5-489B-A508-DD86879C05D1.jpeg

Last edited:
Energy Report Came back and Now getting Permits for the Build. Really this is stupid, change the name from bedroom to office and none of this BS matters. But Because the plans say Bedroom its a different set of rules, ugh. Here is your $500 dollars now go away please. Contractor dropped off some equipment today, so maybe tomorrow will be a work day.

This is the 3d drawing of the $300k work shop/ 2nd floor apartment.. really just too much. Trying to be a shop and a house - all wood construction. Ditched this

B6B4278A-6954-4FB1-A56D-A902FB6D51E9.jpeg

F0FC01ED-0839-4529-8A22-000F31864E45.jpeg

I'd feel pretty bad if I had a renter living in the same building as my home shop. I like to crank the 800 watts of JBL G2's when a good song comes on, air compressor running all the time, grinding, air tools, even just loud friends have a couple beers seems like it's be real obnoxious to anyone paying me to have their own private space.

I feel like it would be a big compromise- Either I can't do what I built the shop to contain or my renter has a poor quality of life.

So we are still waiting for permits - the main foreman had a heart attack and was out for a week. Then back on the job smoking and drinking sodas. Then a few weeks later the General contractor has a heart arthrimai (abnormal heart beat) so bad he was hospitalized for a few days. And then back to working. I’m sure this will get going soon …. Happy new year

Didn’t realize you were in FWB until I saw your wife’s business card. New home construction is through the roof around here. Reminds me of the pre 2008 boom. Then it was condos, homes this time.I don’t know how people are justifying building homes with these prices.

Didn’t realize you were in FWB until I saw your wife’s business card. New home construction is through the roof around here. Reminds me of the pre 2008 boom. Then it was condos, homes this time.I don’t know how people are justifying building homes with these prices.
Lady at work causally mentioned a house renting for 77k for the month of July on the beach. I had to ask her if she said that price right. It’s on the beach and large number of bedrooms.

It’s stupid here right now.
I follow a 4runner on ig guy who worked on hurlbert and does Toyota stuff. Rents his home in Destin for 1400-1700 a week. Booked up 3/4 of year

We need cruises and left run states to open up so people will slow down coming to Florida

What makes no sense is window world in Pensacola is advertising on the radio for their business but when you call the lead time on windows could be a year or more.

Shops looking like it will be nice Ray! I hope you enjoy it

So we are still waiting for permits - the main foreman had a heart attack and was out for a week. Then back on the job smoking and drinking sodas. Then a few weeks later the General contractor has a heart arthrimai (abnormal heart beat) so bad he was hospitalized for a few days. And then back to working. I’m sure this will get going soon …. Happy new year
I know your pain, I have project adding on and enclosing a pole barn on the farm which we will also add a concrete floor new siding and roof to match our home to be built. My initial GC was good long time friend who was incredible carpenter and newly retired FF. He and I staked out the property for my other barn and discussed all sorts of ideas about best way to do this and week later he had heart attack in the night. He survived a week then passed and we are at a new starting point. The good lord was looking out for us and Lorens first and closest cousin lived 10 miles as a crow flies in the rural area where we are moving. Super nice guy, felt he was called for reason after Loren's death. He works and superintendent to large construction company and has access to discounts on several things due to the size of his company.

Now I get a work crew every other weekend. Slow progress, ready for concrete and the preferred concrete guy had car accident little over a week ago close to Mexico border where his wife was ejected and died. The concrete fella broke several ribs and was flown to San Antonio but doing better.

WE are an hour from Tulsa at end of road with limited options so just have to ride it out. Wife got her plans from architect for the house yesterday, frankly I am scared where the cost is going but we are motivated to build our dream home and barns.

It's all downhill from here!!!

Got's to enjoy it while I am able. Actually everything in my avatar I no longer have. I just don't have the heart to change it as my wonderful lab of 13 years is looking at me in the passenger seat. She passed little over a year ago.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom