Next big expedition (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OK, checked on a few things and I figure I am going to make the trip. Have to discuss with the wife yet but that usually isn't a big hurdle for me. I would like to hear what the attendees thoughts are on the shower/no shower availability issue.

I have a propane powered shower that works well and I even have an enclosure if needed. The shower water is nice and warm but it would still be brisk with an ambient temperature og 60 - 70. Might be some shrinkage.

OK, I'm fired up now; put me down at 95%.

It's a bit concerning that Bob got fired up and increased his likelihood to 95% so soon after discussing shrinkage. I'll ignore that for now and respond to Gary's question regarding showering opportunities:

night 1 = hotel or KOA near downtown are the likely choices, so either way YES!
night 2 = the start of the trail is about 20-30' from Hall's Crossing Marina and Campground. So you could potentially sneak over there.
night 3-4 = on the trail, no facilities.
night 5 = somewhere in Moab, definite shower opportunity at YMCA or at campground. YES!
night 6-7 = on the trail, no facilities.
night 8 = end of the Kokopelli trail is >10' from James Robb CO River state park, so YES!
night 9 = somewhere near downtown SLC, so again probably either hotel or KOA, so either way YES!

That said, @mryanangel may have some better route ideas. In particular, we could actually leave SLC, drive south and down through Capitol Reef Nat'l Park and then into Glen Canyon Rec area and stay in Bullfrog, UT on night 2. There is a campground and even a 3 bed/2 bath/1000sf family unit we could rent for the night for $300! We could then wake up and take the ferry boat across Lake Powell and then into the start of the HiTR trail.

Sounds super epic guys. Few more years and I hope to be able to break away for trips like this. Can’t wait to see all your pictures!

I am happy to work out a good many of the logistics and do the research on route planning, mapping, etc.

Thanks Ben! :clap:

When it's time, I'll take care of vehicle shipping.

Ditto too

Ditto. I'm glad you are here to do the heavy lifting as I have no familiarity with the area. Are there any websites, threads, or books that are good resources that you would consider the go-to for info?

You don't need to know about the area you will be driving @TRFCSUX Taco truck! It will go anywhere!!

leave SLC andand dr south and down through Capitol Reef Nat'l Park and then into Glen Canyon Rec area and stay in Bullfrog, UT on night 2. There is a campground and even a 3 bed/2 bath/1000sf family unit we could rent for the night for $300! We could then wake up and take the ferry boat across Lake Powell and then into the start of the HiTR trail.

^^^ THIS MUST BE ADDED

I'll check with wife if she would consider going, when she gets back to US at the end at the week. Most likely, she wont. I would prefer driving if anybody else will be willing to do it. Anybody in NoVA crew looked into truck shipping options?

Ok, here is where I stand. Wife is not ready for this trip yet, so I would have to do it by my self. That being said, I 'm really not considering shipping my truck to the west coast. So, at this point I am looking for a feller who would be willing to drive out there with me. Von Hayek and Traficsux will be driving also from NoVA. Gas and lodge expenses wold be way less then shipping a truck. Time wise, it will be a 3 days of solid driving for two persons, 4 days if you are inclined to stop and smell the roses.

So, if you are inclined to jump on board, let me know. I need a fairly solid commitment, as I would like to go over the logistics and figure out the time off I need from work.

Here's the two best resources on HiTR!

Hole In the Rock....best week of my life, hands down.

And this one is better, but much longer read:

FAWKING MIND BOGGLING - HitR 2016

This is excellent. Many thanks. EDIT: This is ruining my work productivity.

For what its worth, I read Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey in prep for my aborted Moab trip in 2016 and I would recommend it to everyone going on this trip that has not read it already. Abbey was a young park ranger at Arches in the 1950s and writes about what it was like before there were any paved roads, and his trip down the Green River before Glen Canyon was flooded to create Lake Powell.

Last edited:
Mitch, just remember the big picture when you compare driving vs shipping. Yes, gas and lodging might be cheaper, but gas and lodging aren’t your only costs. The IRS vehicle reimbursement rate is close to 50 cents a mile, and that’s a bunch of bean counters calculating the true cost of driving an average vehicle. Repairs, tires, depreciation etc. that’s an average vehicle too, not a huge 80 SUV. By that measure shipping is a similar cost and then throw in the value of vacation time.

Mitch, just remember the big picture when you compare driving vs shipping. Yes, gas and lodging might be cheaper, but gas and lodging aren’t your only costs. The IRS vehicle reimbursement rate is close to 50 cents a mile, and that’s a bunch of bean counters calculating the true cost of driving an average vehicle. Repairs, tires, depreciation etc. that’s an average vehicle too, not a huge 80 SUV. By that measure shipping is a similar cost and then throw in the value of vacation time.

Jeff, my truck is not a company vehicle so IRS wont give me even a penny for reimbursement. :) I'm just looking at it from a personal, maybe obtuse, point of view. I would like to be able to say that I made the trip out west, not that I shipped my truck out there. I look at it as a badge of honor my Rhino needs to earn (before my daughter gets to drive it again)

I know it takes more time and I understand that some of us can't take so much leave from work. I just put the word out there to see if anybody might be interested in taking the road instead of flying.

I also considered, just like you, maybe flying out there and renting a Jeep, but only for a very short second :)

In the end, if I wont find another driver I may be considering shipping my truck there....

Jeff, my truck is not a company vehicle so IRS wont give me even a penny for reimbursement. :) I'm just looking at it from a personal, maybe obtuse, point of view. I would like to be able to say that I made the trip out west, not that I shipped my truck out there. I look at it as a badge of honor my Rhino needs to earn (before my daughter gets to drive it again)

I know it takes more time and I understand that some of us can't take so much leave from work. I just put the word out there to see if anybody might be interested in taking the road instead of flying.

I also considered, just like you, maybe flying out there and renting a Jeep, but only for a very short second :)

In the end, if I wont find another driver I may be considering shipping my truck there....

It's all part of the adventure!!

I think that @jcj_78FJ40 would fit in your passenger seat quite well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom