Next big expedition (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My only conflict is Oct 20 weekend. I’m not sure how Utah weather plays in late Oct/early Nov, but the later the better for me. I’d consider myself a strong yes. Not necessarily feeling the need to bring my taco either. I’d be fine passengering if Mitch and or Steve bring their rigs this time. Also would consider flying out. If I flew, and the caravan departed Oct 20th weekend then it wouldn’t matter as I could fly and catch up.

My only conflict is Oct 20 weekend. I’m not sure how Utah weather plays in late Oct/early Nov, but the later the better for me. I’d consider myself a strong yes. Not necessarily feeling the need to bring my taco either. I’d be fine passengering if Mitch and or Steve bring their rigs this time. Also would consider flying out. If I flew, and the caravan departed Oct 20th weekend then it wouldn’t matter as I could fly and catch up.
I would most likely drive my Black Betty over there, so if any of you wants to hop along, let me know.

I'm also a solid maybe as a passenger.

I just got off the phone with Ben @fireball , and we have a plan for early November. He'll post up the details later today.

It'll be a good one! :steer::clap::steer::clap:

Glad you can do this @Pacer

He'll post up the details later today.

To go were?

upload_2018-6-18_11-23-16.jpeg

Friends, Romans, Countrymen, Lend me your ears:

Here are the preliminary details for an epic trip to explore UTAH. I am happy to work out a good many of the logistics and do the research on route planning, mapping, etc. Early November should be fantastic weather wise - low 70s/low 40s in Lake Powell, HiTR area and low 60s/low 30s in western CO at end of the Kokopelli.

Dates: Nov 1 - Nov 10th.

Tentative plan:
11/1 - fly into SLC. (Delta, $301 round trip, PHL to SLC, direct flight, arrives 837pm). Overnight in SLC hotel or just outside of SLC.
11/2 - gather supplies, hit the pavement down to start of HOLE IN THE ROCK TRAIL. (maps suggest 5hr45min drive time). Overnight at camp spot at start of HiTR.
11/3 - HiTR trail day 1. Overnight at end of trail or super secret location
11/4 - HiTR trail day 2. Overnight at end of trail or super secret location
11/5 - HiTR trail day 3. Travel to Moab. Camp in Moab.
11/6 - Kokopelli trail day 1.
11/7 - Kokopelli trail day 2.
11/8 - Kokopelli trail day 3, camp near Fruta, CO at end of the trail.
11/9 - pavement from Fruta to SLC. (maps suggest 4hr30min drive time). Private tour of Land Cruiser Heritage Museum Home hopefully led by the famous @cruiserdan. camp in the back of one of the Expedition 7 vehicles inside the museum that still have RTTs mounted to them. Or hotel in SLC.
11/10 - fly out of SLC. (Delta, $301 round trip, SLC to PHL, one stop, departs 11am, arrives 654pm).

For those of you who are driving, you can leave 11/9 am from Fruta, CO to start heading east.

Shipping trucks from Manhiem Auto Auction to SLC will be roughly $2,200 to 2,600 round trip.

We can discuss and fine tune the details and intinerary, but the above plan gives us enough time to tackle two very famous, awesome trails. It's easy to cut off parts of the Kokopelli if needed if we run into problems or @Pacer breaks down. For now, let's lock down the dates and get a preliminary head count of who can make it. I believe we should cap this to a max of 7 trucks.

Please post any comments or feedback and provide a fairly realistic idea if you can make it!

I've only met the elusive @Von Hayek once. Seemed like a nice guy. Would be good to see him in Utah!

RT on United for $305 IAD to SLC

OK, NoVA gang, anybody thinking of driving out west instead of flying?

I am 99% in. I already have my 80's out in UT and with any luck I will have completed my relocation to SLC by then.

We just did a 800 mile all UT back country trip the week before cruise Moab, there is a ton of amazing and differing terrains out there.

I am 99% in. I already have my 80's out in UT and with any luck I will have completed my relocation to SLC by then.

We just did a 800 mile all UT back country trip the week before cruise Moab, there is a ton of amazing and differing terrains out there.
In the 12 valve 80?

In the 12 valve 80?
Correct. A lot of the time we were pushing the trucks very hard and fast to cover so much ground. It was a good time!

Von Hayek could be overrated, but certainly a needed addition to this voyage. Pushing this into November, makes my solid rating upgraded to a near definite. Sounds like we have a lot of traction going here. Loving it.

Mitch, I’m not out of consideration to drive out with the taco. I just speculate that you and Traffic Sux both need to break your Western cherries with new rigs, and I’d rather bring more bullets to the gunfight than guns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom