Newb with Pictures and Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know that there are plenty of people on mud that have made their own.

Yup. I do know that Don (FC Fabrications) made some gorgeous shackles for his 55 project...see if you can find a pic either here or POR...have your fabricator friend shamelessly copy them.

Ok so i am stripping the interior to start prep for the adventure of rust removal and noticed that I have no clue how the back seat backrest attaches. When I bought it, the backrest was folded down and it didn't occur to me to ask how to attach it to the brackets there. I just want to make sure I understand how it works mechanically before I start taking everything out for sandblasting and paint. If anyone has a picture from the old manual I would really appreciate it. Thanks Pics to come as soon as the this stinking snow storm stops!

Not sure that Pighead understands the question. Are we talking abot the two pylon-type things that bolt to the rear fenderwells with the built-latches that the seat back gets held in place when up with? Or the rear seat hinges? Or the latch on the floor?
More description, or even pics of what you got would help.
Pighead did notice that there were pics of the pylon-type things with the built-in latches on badass' "build" thread elsewhere in this section...

Ok guys. I have another question. Has anyone ever built their own shackles? I only ask because as I am taking apart my cruiser's front axle I noticed that they really do not look that complex. I work for a place that has a fabrication shop and was wondering if anyone has ever done this. I will not make them, as I am not that great of a welder but I know a few exceptional ones and the only thing I can think is that it may be a safety hazard, thoughts?
Howdy! I built mine from 2" angle iron. I rounded off the bottom corners so they won't snag on the rocks. I put a crossbar on mine at the center so they make an "H". Some guys leave that off so they can get a little more flex. John

hey John, you wouldn't by any chance have a picture of those would you? I have tons of that laying around. Did your pig get retired, i remember reading a bunch of stuff on your rig.

hey John, you wouldn't by any chance have a picture of those would you? I have tons of that laying around. Did your pig get retired, i remember reading a bunch of stuff on your rig.
Howdy! No digital pix yet, but I might be able to snap a couple over the weekend. My Piggy is on extended Furlough right now. I cracked the frame under the Saginaw PS box, so I am building up a sub-frame to hang in there. It it taking way too long to finish up, just too many other things going on in life. No chance on retirement for this Piggy, as I have only had it for 23 years, and I plan on keeping it on the trail/road for at least that much longer. John

Awesome. That is good to hear John. I am going to take a bunch of pics tomorrow to see if any of them can help with my random questions that I have had. I also got all the minitruck stuff today to start on my disc brake setup... I am really stocked about that.

Ok. So I have been sitting down and reading all I can on the front disc conversion stuff and I am a little confused. I am waiting on some axle rebuild kits to come in but I have a few concerns/questions. I picked up a mini truck axle 82' and the master cylinder and booster with lines from an 85'. I know that once I get into it I may have some issues on the lines hooking up etc as I may not have gotten all that I needed but I am a little confused about the idea of a portioning valve sp?. I am not really sure what that does for you, am I crazy to think that you wouldn't need it as mini trucks had disc front and drum backs... seems counterproductive. Also i can only find one write up about installing a booster on a 71 fj40 and he is saying you have to move the clutch cylinder... really? That doesn't seem right. Any input guys, sry lots of questions.

I don't think you need the proportioning valve, that is more for 4 wheel disc to keep the rears from locking up, by reducing the preasure that goes to the rear. If your thinking residual valve, the mini master won't have one as you stated disc front and drum rear.

The firewall on a 55 is different than a 40. It will probably take a little fab work to get the booster to fit properly. Not sure if you'll need to add a plate on the firewall for added strength?? You will need to seperate you brake lines front and rear, you should have a single circuit brake system now and need to go to the dual.

X2 on no need for a proportioning valve. I don't have one, brakes are great,

Back Seat bracket Setup

Ok Pighead, this ones for you. About the back seat... I got some pics of the brackets that I cannot really understand how they work. Want to get some idea on the exact setup before I tear anything out. Let me know what you guys know....

1: Pic one is the bracket that the donut type thing goes into...
2: So I can't get this thing to work... anyway if anyone has a page from a manual etc that would be sweet!:D
DSC02793.jpg

Ok Pighead, this ones for you. About the back seat... I got some pics of the brackets that I cannot really understand how they work. Want to get some idea on the exact setup before I tear anything out. Let me know what you guys know....

1: Pic one is the bracket that the donut type thing goes into...
2: So I can't get this thing to work... anyway if anyone has a page from a manual etc that would be sweet!:D

OOh...that is entirely different from anything Pighead has seen....thinking that is entirely a '69 thing...hooboy, what does the seatback look like?

Howdy! OK, here goes. This shows two angles on them. Notice the extra hole at the top end. I can extend the shackle from 6" to 8", giving me 1" of lift if I am really loaded up. The bolts are grade 8, 7" x 3/4". I think, whatever the right size is for OEM spring bushings. John
P3140246B.jpg
P3140247.jpg

Last edited:
Backseat brackets

Ok... thanks Pighead. At least I am not the only one that hasn't seen anything like the setup in my truck. Here is another picture of the actual seat back and the donut things I was referring to. The second picture is of the floorboard below the back seat. The bottom right has a bracket that has something to do with the backrest... Odd really.. what do you guys have in your rigs? This seat just kinda hangs out when folded down, kinda weird... :meh: John thanks for the pics... I am gonna make some of those this week for sure!
DSC02800.jpg
DSC02792.jpg

Last edited:
Ok... thanks Pighead. At least I am not the only one that hasn't seen anything like the setup in my truck. Here is another picture of the actual seat back and the donut things I was referring to. The second picture is of the floorboard below the back seat. The bottom right has a bracket that has something to do with the backrest... Odd really.. what do you guys have in your rigs? This seat just kinda hangs out when folded down, kinda weird... :meh: John thanks for the pics... I am gonna make some of those this week for sure!

That is what my rig has too, it is a '69. I cannot figure out how they work either. I thought something was missing, as I dont see how the parts hold the seat upright.....:confused:

Howdy! I'd bet that the latch on the side of the seat back only works to fasten it in the down position. Look in the second pic and there is a bracket with a little nipple sticking out from it, about even with the front of the fender well. There's got to be more parts missing to secure it in the upright position. John

That is what my rig has too, it is a '69. I cannot figure out how they work either. I thought something was missing, as I dont see how the parts hold the seat upright.....:confused:

-crazy! Man that is nuts. Now I defiantly have to figure it out. :confused: That is really odd that this is just a 69 thing. I wonder if I could just put a hinge on the bottom and redo the way it ties in... we will see. If I figure it out I will let you know txJake. By the way where in oklahoma city do you live. I just moved to montana from Shawnee less than 2 years ago... :D

-crazy! Man that is nuts. Now I defiantly have to figure it out. :confused: That is really odd that this is just a 69 thing. I wonder if I could just put a hinge on the bottom and redo the way it ties in... we will see. If I figure it out I will let you know txJake. By the way where in oklahoma city do you live. I just moved to montana from Shawnee less than 2 years ago... :D

lemme know if you come up with anything. My main problem is fastening it in the upright postion. those nylon roller things wont stay in the lugs on the body....:frown:

I live in the SW corner, west of West Moore and SE of Mustang. basically south of the airport Rockwell & SW 134th area. Been here about 3 years and love OKC, except there is not a lot of wheeling going on around here.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom