Newb with Pictures and Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok guys. Thanks for the info on the weather stripping. I have another question about power steering. I was going to try and use the toyota minitruck steering box as I found the setup for 150 dollars at a junk yard near by, but after reading many different articles etc I am not sure if that is my best bet. If I used the toyota minitruck setup I would be using all the linkages and arms that are used with the current gearbox stock setup, I have seen on MUD that many people eliminate many of the arms for a simpler setup. Any ideas there and any clue or opinion to what the best/least expensive solution is? Thanks

Carmon
I bought an FJ60 setup from a fellow mudder and will be putting it on my 55 sometime in the future. From what I read, it is a good setup and you might even be able to find one at a local junkyard as well. There's a good write-up about it as well located here:
Welcome to ROCKCRAWLER.COM (Add Power Steering to Your FJ-55)

If it has the right profile, it should work... OTOH, you end up with a cut seam somewhere and perhaps a funky gap where the stock cargo weatherstrip was squarish;)

It wouldn't be OEM but for $15 per window vs $130 I would go with it!

Re: PS - I ran a mini-truck setup for awhile on my Pig and now I'm running a Sag pump and Mini gear - worked fine when all mini. I'm SOA on 35's and never had a problem.

I broke my pickup and had to use the Pig for wheeling yesterday, love that big ugly thing.

It's a 1969, early, like yours. Before you pull that fresh air vent knob, clean out the junk. It goes to the vent infront of the windshield. Those are a cool thing other pigs didn't get. The throttle control is something I've never seen hooked up, but is still intact on my pig.

I have the dash 4WD and hi-lo lever and I love them. It always goes into and out of 4wd and low without any hassle. When I first got it, the vacuum diaphram in the transfer case was bad. It was cheap, available from toyota, and easy to change. The vacuum actuators seem to last forever. I really prefer the dash set up. A plus is that modifying it for 2WD low is simple, there is just a pin to remove under the dash, that's it. No tools needed.

The rubber is crazy priced in my opinion also, but that's how it works. I really give props to those who stepped up to reproduce them (like PVCruisers). Too bad they ain't cheap to make. FJ55-100 used a windshield rubber gasket for the cargo windows by cutting it to size and glueing it back together. It looked very nice and was cheap. With the profile of the window frame, universal rubber seems like an awesome idea.

My pig also has a toyota power steering conversion. I run a supra pump on the passenger side. (currently kind of rigged, need to change the harmonic balancer on the new motor I installed. The old F145s came with a 2 groove pulley). I have 33" TSLs on it and it turns super easy, 1 finger steering on the road. At low RPMs on the rocks, there is much to be desired but still way easier. The FJ60 setup is way pimp compared to the stock setup, but the stock still works great. If you never need to get too crazy in the rocks the stock toyota setup is great. The pump arrangement is bad though. I have a weber, but am hard headed and refuse to use the tiny airfilters and have a stock one instead. With a stock air filter and PS, something has to go.

Guys. Thanks again for all the info. I have been trying to get this thing on the road. It was sitting for about 3-4 years and my brakes are trash. The clutch was pretty messed up to but after a master cylinder rebuild she works flawlessly. The next question I have is, What is the most cost effective disc brake conversion? I just can't justify spending the 60 dollars a wheel cylinder and still having all that maintenance on drums. I have been researching different routes you can go, whether that be JT'S GM setup with bracket or Mini truck knuckle swap but my question is what is the best? I know I will have to replumb my 69 and that is ok because it needs it but is there a better option out there? Can you just use newer land cruiser setups? Why can't I use land cruiser rotors? The GM ones have to be honed out like .125 inches before I can use them and I thought maybe I can just use land-cruiser stuff. Sorry if this is a huge question but I haven't found any comparison between the three maybe four options. Thanks again, this info is keeping me going for sure!

I'm not too sure but on the older models (I don't know when it changed over) the axles are different than the 70's models and it is far easier to source a complete disc brake axle than to only add disc brakes(Anyone...is that right?). However, if your axle is the updated 70's style (not ball and claw) then you can just source parts from a 75 and up or FJ60 disc brake parts. You'll need everything from the birfields on out. I did that to my 74 and the brakes work great! I haven't changed over the rear axle yet, and I don't think I will. cylinder rebuild kits are cheap from napa if your cylinders are still serviceable.

I like staying all Toyota, my opinion only. you can pick up a 60 series knuckles out for $250, (PM if interested, as I'm in Helena). Yes you will need new seals and bearings also, but I'd have a l;ook inside the front end anyway as you have no idea what sharp everything is in.

You'll also have to upgrade to a dual circuit brake system, which is a wise move anyway!

Lil john, would yo really do that? Send me everything I needed? = ) Cause that sounds pretty good to me! Also when you say Ball and Claw, what are you refering to? I think I know what you are asking but I want to make sure

Last edited:
Awesome Lil John. I am still thinking about what I want to do but funny story. I just found another 1969 Pig in a town about 2 hours from here and the guy only wants $500 for it. I am waiting on a picture of it before I freak out and drive down there but it may slow down my disc brake conversion as you never know if this thing may just have everything I need to get my Piggie on the road. Anyway I will keep everyone informed. Thanks again for the info guys!

I have another question about power steering. Any ideas there and any clue or opinion to what the best/least expensive solution is? Thanks
Carmon

Best and least expensive rarely go together. Especially when you're talking about steering.
Some people are quite satisfied with a 60 power steering box. Some people are not satisfied with the 60 box and change to a Scout box. Some people go straight to the Scout box and skip the middle step. Scout box is more expensive and involved. But I think it is the best.
What I did was download and print all the power steering conversion write-ups. Then read them over and over for a month. Look at the big picture. Only you can decide what is best for your rig.

. The next question I have is, What is the most cost effective disc brake conversion?
I have been researching different routes you can go, whether that be JT'S GM setup with bracket or Mini truck knuckle swap but my question is what is the best?

Again, no "Cheapest/Best' questions please....
IMNSHO, the miniknuckle/4runnercaliper/60disc is the best setup. Don't know how it compares in price. I did not even consider a GM setup.

Thanks Pighead. After looking at alot of different setups I think that I need to change my mindset on all of this and go with what is the best, after looking at all the disc brake options I think you guys all made me understand that the bolt on JT stuff isn't all its cracked up to be and after reading a few issues they have had I am scared to even try. The only down side of the miniknucle setup is the down time on the rig but that is something I need to get over, I need this thing to be mechanically sound before I go play... So Pighead when you say Miniknuckle, what all does that involve, if I were to go pull this off a salvaged truck what all would I want to take?

So Pighead when you say Miniknuckle, what all does that involve, if I were to go pull this off a salvaged truck what all would I want to take?

It involves a fair amount of research and independent study. I'm not going to spoon-feed it to you.
Lil' John has offered up a smokin' deal.
You MIGHT be able to put your own package together locally and save two bucks.
But you won't find it easier. I can vouch for Lil'John and his good taste in parts.

Awesome Lil John. I am still thinking about what I want to do but funny story. I just found another 1969 Pig in a town about 2 hours from here and the guy only wants $500 for it. I am waiting on a picture of it before I freak out and drive down there but it may slow down my disc brake conversion as you never know if this thing may just have everything I need to get my Piggie on the road. Anyway I will keep everyone informed. Thanks again for the info guys!

is that the one on craigslist in Missoula??? sat for years in a field before he got it?

with NO TITLE, that's why I passed on it.

Hey 3 not sure if it is the same one or not but here is the link, I am not gonna mess with it. The thing looks rough. I will post a pic as soon as I get off work today..

1969 fj55 Toyota Land Cruiser

Thanks again guys for all the help. I am gonna research my butt off this week and try to get my head around the idea of how this works. You guys have helped a bunch but I want to make sure I know what I am doing before I just tear the thing down. I may go ahead and do the power steering first as I think I have that down.

Last edited:
So quick question, will mini truck axles just swap right in to a fj55? And if so would that be a bad move? I have a guy telling me that I could do that and get both axles from a parts truck with all disc brakes and be better off. Yes No? Just want to make sure...

Well I got my question answered on the axle swap and I am just gonna try and pick up a cheap axle from a friend here in Kalispell and do the knuckle conversion. Found one for 100, that price seems pretty reasonable to me and I will use the 80 series vented rotors with the 4 runner calipers, that is what I was told is the best. If anyone thinks otherwise let me know. Thanks lil John for the offer on parts but that shipping would kill me... I will see what I can get local and if it doesn't work out I will definitely let you know.

Last edited:
Ok guys. I have another question. Has anyone ever built their own shackles? I only ask because as I am taking apart my cruiser's front axle I noticed that they really do not look that complex. I work for a place that has a fabrication shop and was wondering if anyone has ever done this. I will not make them, as I am not that great of a welder but I know a few exceptional ones and the only thing I can think is that it may be a safety hazard, thoughts?

the only thing i can think of being an issue is if you make big (+2or3") shackels you would want to use a higher grade of steel than your run of the mill mild steel, maybe some 4140 or better?? my 2cents

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom