New vendor "Bowfin Cruisers" and new 80 series roof rack option (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What would really be awesome is retractable side rails and a mesh floor. I got rid of my prinsu because I literally can't put anything up there unless I have a mounting solution. Which defeat the purpose of having a roof rack....which is just throw sh!t up there as needed.

Btw you owe me a free rack if you go that route!!!:hillbilly:
Ok, finally got what you meant about retractable sides (a little slow on the uptake). Sides that can pop up to make a basket style rack, right? Interesting concept, I wont forget that one at least (and that you told me about it). Never know, might work. But dang man, free rack? Hardball from Qball!

Ok, finally got what you meant about retractable sides (a little slow on the uptake). Sides that can pop up to make a basket style rack, right? Interesting concept, I wont forget that one at least (and that you told me about it). Never know, might work. But dang man, free rack? Hardball from Qball!
I have the Prinsu. Love it because it allows me to park in the garage with the rack attached, but like Qball said mounting things can be a challenge. I was thinking a good solution would be to use the prinsu or your rack as the base and have a small, additional lightweight aluminum basket that can be secured to the T-slots and removed when not needed. Kinda of a modular system. Now you have two complimentary racks for sale! Don't forget who gave you this idea..;)

I have the Prinsu. Love it because it allows me to park in the garage with the rack attached, but like Qball said mounting things can be a challenge. I was thinking a good solution would be to use the prinsu or your rack as the base and have a small, additional lightweight aluminum basket that can be secured to the T-slots and removed when not needed. Kinda of a modular system. Now you have two complimentary racks for sale! Don't forget who gave you this idea..;)
Another good idea. I wont forget. Making money is overrated.

This looks like an awesome rack! If you need help with a website let me know.

Should not be a problem on the sides and front panel. I can coat the cross bars but it would be better to leave them black if that would work for you
I'm sure that would work.

Looks Great and I'm in as long as I can put a RTT on this and one of the Bat Wing Awnings that TT has been selling !!!
I will definitely have mounts for those. I have to get my tent and awning on my 80 too!

I kind of wish I didn't already have the arb awning. It's nice but the TT batwing is sweet.

Help me with who your referencing as TT Batwing? Please Group buy from Trail Tailor is what i found

Last edited:
@dogfishlake if you are using the 80/20 1x2 slotted cross bars, there is a nifty tie down solution. @619TOY posted it in the 200 section, and I have used it as well.

619TOY’s 200 Series Build & Adventure Thread

Go to post #58, and later is the link for the parts. What I like about this solution is you can put the anchors wherever you want at locations around the rack, and then install the rings as required for tying down cargo.

I've also attached an old yakima cargo basket using carriage bolts to the 80/20 bars. It's great to have a rectangular basket just to throw stuff into that can't be strapped down easily.

For example, pumpkins. :) Good luck with the new business. :cheers:

IMG950967.jpg

My sister (whom now owns my beloved white 80 series) lives in Chelsea. I'll give a shout when I'm over that way. Decent brewery there.:beer:
That's Manchester and Chelsea on the same road sign. How's that for crazy.

Pat,

Next time you're in the area, I'd love to see this. I have a couple ideas too; I'll PM you this week.

The pop up side rail shouldn’t be too hard, just fashion after hospital beds, that being said it’s a lot of small parts. Easier if you just do some sort of L metal piece that can be bolted on and off. The important ones are the 2 sides And rear. Side bolt options should be really easy, also pretty easy to add channeled pieces at bolt locations to make it strong.

You can mount L tracks as an option like I used to to offer lots of secure tie down points and strengthen the cross bars.

As far as floor goes make it in smaller panels so people have options on coverage. Since you have T slots might as well make it easy to bolt to the T slots which gives lots of flexibility. Use recess bolt heads please.

Both you and prinsu have a great platform and should be easy to develope accessories that would fit both and you will have a real busensss there!

First off. I dig the latch system. That's a nice feature.

But, as others have mentioned already, there's clear similarities to the Prinsu rack. I'd go so far as to say it's a twin with just a couple minor changes. Similar enough that a lot of people are going to think it's a Prinsu rack. Maybe that's what you were going for? The Prinsu is a great rack and has been very popular. I'm all for people going after a new venture, especially when it's someone in the "community" that understands what the customer is after. But honestly I would have hoped for more originality instead of a copycat approach. Little disappointed in that regard, but otherwise good luck with the venture.

Eh, roof racks aren't something that has a lot of differences in design. A low profile rack like this can only look so different from any other low profile rack out there. What were you expecting?

Eh, roof racks aren't something that has a lot of differences in design. A low profile rack like this can only look so different from any other low profile rack out there. What were you expecting?
Something that wasn't a copy. There are a number of low profile racks out there. I can think of Front Runner, Eezi Awn K9, Gamiviti, Bajarack that are all low profile and are very different in appearance.

I get that the flat side rail is a different style than those other racks I mentioned but even a change to the profile shape of the rails would have made it more unique. Listen I'm not bagging on the rack, it looks like a great rack! I personally just respect when a new product becomes available that serves the same function as existing products but there is a clear effort to make it unique and different from the stuff that's already out there. (The latch system is a step in the right direction). In the end I think it would also benefit dogfishlake to have his product not confused with another one.

First off. I dig the latch system. That's a nice feature.

But, as others have mentioned already, there's clear similarities to the Prinsu rack. I'd go so far as to say it's a twin with just a couple minor changes. Similar enough that a lot of people are going to think it's a Prinsu rack. Maybe that's what you were going for? The Prinsu is a great rack and has been very popular. I'm all for people going after a new venture, especially when it's someone in the "community" that understands what the customer is after. But honestly I would have hoped for more originality instead of a copycat approach. Little disappointed in that regard, but otherwise good luck with the venture.

Exactly! They are both good starting point and prinsu got busy building more rack. I suggest to make not only rack but accessories to take it to the next level!

I don't mean to take anything away from dogfishlake and I applaud his effort to develop something new for our trucks! I genuinely wish him the best of success with it. I shared an opinion based on my first impression of the product. I don't want to turn his thread into an argument of any sort so I won't comment any further.

I looks like a really nice rack and I'm sure it is. A lot of people will love it I'm sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom