New suspension/lift - going in this weekend, talk to me all you DIY'ers.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Parts delivered, sitting in my garage, got a buddy helping me out this weekend to install the following:

Fronts
  • Ironman Pro Foam Cell coilovers
  • Total Chaos UCAs
Rears
  • MT rear conversion kit
  • MT upper and lower links
  • MT Medium Duty LT springs and ICON LT shocks
  • extended brake lines and rear bumper stops
What are the "tips-n-tricks" from the experts and what are the "gotchas" out there I need to be aware of. Any write-ups would be appreciated, thx!

Not a total noob to being under a rig but also never wrenched a GX either so hints/advice/sage know-how is appreciated.

thx!

Last edited:
Happy to help, I think they are public videos so you can see them without an account

@DanKunz - great vids, thx. There's two that appear to be identical with no audio, what did I miss?

Smarter to do fronts or rears first?

Any torque specs for any of these bolts?

Starting around 9am tomorrow, chances of getting done in one day......hmmmmm.

Might be a duplicate. I don't do torque specs anymore since I have done so many and none have fell into bits :p

Fronts - does the LCA need to be unbolted from the fromt axle/rotor assembly in order to get the shock/coilover assemblies out/in???

Yes..it is in the video list...but only at the spindle (two nuts)...watch your abs lines and dont need to take of brakes, etc.

must have missed that in the vids but thx!!!!

do you have to use a spring compressor to get the spring/coil out of the fronts? that's where i'm at...

nevermind!!!!

This electronic assembly, what's it for and what to do with it? After getting my IronMan's installed, there's no room atop those to reinstall as they were atop the OEM shock/spring combos. What to do???

Sorry for poor rotation here.....

upload_2016-11-11_17-2-12.png

This electronic assembly, what's it for and what to do with it? After getting my IronMan's installed, there's no room atop those to reinstall as they were atop the OEM shock/spring combos. What to do???

Sorry for poor rotation here.....

View attachment 1350137

Bump :) WTF do I do what that electronic box pictured above in the upper-right-hand corner? It won't fit atop the new IronMan's...

Remove it! No use for it anymore.

Don't need the assembly, can pull the plug up into the engine bay and zip tie it somewhere.

FRONTS DONE

weird, power windows aren't working (had to disconnect battery to get UCA bolt through and out/in).......haven't checked fuses yet, just throwing some progress out there just 'cuz.....

on to the rears......

upload_2016-11-11_21-8-57.png

Last edited:
Hold the button up till the window stops then hold it. Repeat for each at the door and the sunroof

So called it quits around 2:30am......whooped. Big props and thanks to my buddies the Cogill brothers - no way I'd be this far along without them.

Rears - we're down to buttoning things up (bleed brakes due to extended lines, a few brackets to get back in place, figure out lengths of all adjustable arms to ensure everything is equal - important since the panhard currently won't reach the frame mount).

Definitely still some work to do before I can think about driving, getting an alignment, etc. But progress is terrific....

If anyone's experienced an inability to have their panhard connect when performing a rear suspension upgrade/lift, I'd appreciate insights.

thx....

There is a special procedure to bleed the brakes on these trucks. I don't have access to the FSM at home but I searched around and found it. I would also do a little research on your own via other forums for tips etc, it is important to very slowly depress the brake pedal and hold it for a while for each stroke when initially releasing the pressure from the accumulator (step a). The rears should constantly pump with the pedal depressed when you get to that step. Most importantly do not let the reservoir go dry or you will need the Techstream to bleed it properly.

BRAKE FLUID: BLEEDING

NOTICE:
Wash off brake fluid immediately if it comes into contact with a painted surface.
If the brake pedal is depressed with the reservoir cap removed, then brake fluid will spatter. HINT:
If any work is done on the brake system or if air in the brake lines is suspected, bleed the air from the system.
When bleeding, keep the amount of the fluid between the Min. and Max. lines on the reservoir.
FILL RESERVOIR WITH BRAKE FLUID
Fluid:
SAE J1703 or FMVSS NO. 116 DOT3
BLEED BRAKE BOOSTER W/ACCUMULATOR PUMP ASSEMBLY HINT: Perform this step only if the brake booster with accumulator pump assembly is removed and/or installed.
(a) Turn the ignition switch OFF, depress the brake pedal 20 times or more to release the pressure from the accumulator.
(b) Fully depress the brake pedal 10 times.
(c) Turn the ignition switch to the ON position and start the brake booster pump.
(d) Make sure the pump operates for 8 to 14 seconds.
If the pump does not operate as specified, repeat steps (a) to (c) and recheck the operating time.
BLEED BRAKE LINE

(a) Front brake line
(1) Turn the ignition switch to the ON position and wait until the pump motor has stopped.
(2) Connect the vinyl tube to the brake caliper.
(3) Depress the brake pedal several times, then loosen the bleeder plug with the pedal held down.
(4) At the point when the fluid stops coming out, tighten the bleeder plug, then release the brake pedal.
Torque: 11 Nm (112 kgf-cm, 8 ft-lbf)
(5) Repeat (3) and (4) until all the air in the fluid has been bled out.
(6) Repeat the above procedures to bleed the other brake line.

(b) Rear brake line
(1) Turn the ignition switch to the ON position and depress the brake pedal.
(2) Connect the vinyl tube to the brake caliper.
(3) Loosen the bleeder plug and release air.
HINT: Brake fluid is sent through the pump, so keep the brake pedal depressed until the air is completely bled out.
(4) When the air is completely bled out of the brake fluid through the bleeder plug, tighten the bleeder plug.
(5) Repeat the above procedures to bleed the other brake line.

BLEED MASTER CYLINDER SOLENOID HINT: Perform this step only if the master cylinder solenoid is removed and/or installed.
(a) Connect the Techstream to the DLC3.
(b) Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
(c) Select "Active Test" mode on the Techstream.
(d) Connect the vinyl tube to the rear brake caliper.
(e) Loosen the bleeder plug.
(f) Select "TRAC Solenoid (SRMF & SRMR)" to drive the solenoids and bleed air from the rear brake caliper.
NOTICE: Do not depress the brake pedal.
HINT:
Brake fluid is sent through the pump.
To protect the solenoids, the Techstream turns OFF automatically 2 seconds after every solenoid has been turned ON.
(g) Repeat step (f) until all the air in the brake fluid is bled out.
(h) When the air is completely bled out of the brake fluid through the bleeder plug, tighten the bleeder plug.
(i) Repeat the above procedures to bleed the other brake line.
(j) Turn the ignition switch OFF.
(k) Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
(l) Clear DTC See: Antilock Brakes / Traction Control Systems\Testing and Inspection\Reading and Clearing Diagnostic Trouble Codes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom