New steering wheel for the old LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.sdsysdesign.com
This was a purchase I debated over for quite some time. My newish to me LX450 is cosmetically flawless inside and out since I did the front row seats, but the steering wheel has pretty much sucked since the day I bought it. It was ripped and worn and became horribly sticky when the heat and humidity got high. I cleaned it at least a dozen times with various things, but it was just too far gone.

Since Metric fell on it's arse over the last year or so I started looking for other options.
I decided on Dallas Custom Steering Wheel and had several conversations with these good folks. Since I needed a core to send them, I had Jason at Cruiseryard @arcteryx send them a core on my behalf along with a detailed spec and contact document. Thank you again for your help Jason. You are truly a stand up guy and a pleasure to deal with.

While it turned out to be more money than I had wanted to spend on this, the results are absolutely outstanding. I want to say that the truck has been completely transformed, but it might just be that my wallet is so light right now that the truck just feels better to me.

I'll snap some final pictures of the wheel installed in the truck, but here are some pics from DCSW that they sent me before shipping. I added thicker than stock foam and thumb rests at 2 and 10 like my wife's BMW.

It is a dead on color match to the plastic surrounds and looks 100% OEM. It is an absolute pleasure to drive.

011.JPG
013.JPG

Last edited:
Wow. :cheers: That looks great!

Yea, it FEELS great. It really makes a difference.
How much horsepower do you think you gained from that mod?

Seriously, that looks good.

:cool:

How much horsepower do you think you gained from that mod?

Seriously, that looks good.

:cool:
It's like I dropped a 350 in. Hugs the corners until those 35s squeal. I getting about 26 or so MPG now.

That's beautiful.

Reactions: cpg
Now you won't have to worry about the dirty looks anymore at the country club... :flipoff2:

It's like I dropped a 350 in. Hugs the corners until those 35s squeal. I getting about 26 or so MPG now.
yeah on a flatbed, going downhill with a tail wind and drafting a semi truck,But she's looking good doing it

Looks great! Is there a link to show pricing?

I'll be pulling mine and doing something similar. Good thing is that mine is not a DD so I can take the wheel and have it done with little affect to me.

Just curious but what what the price range for this refurbishment? I am just thinking from a budgeting perspective.

That turned out great!

Looks great! Is there a link to show pricing?
I did this 2 years ago and it was a-la-carte pricing on all the available options, from stitching pattern, fill thickness, leather color, wood trim, etc. Too many to list. I would speak to them and get a list of options/prices.

I'll be pulling mine and doing something similar. Good thing is that mine is not a DD so I can take the wheel and have it done with little affect to me.

Just curious but what what the price range for this refurbishment? I am just thinking from a budgeting perspective.
This is not an inexpensive endeavor as it is labor intensive. I would imagine it would be close to $500 now.
I will say that the steering wheel is the driver's primary input and feedback. Having an awesome one makes me smile every day.

Most whines emanate from that area.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom