New Split T-case Fail (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hudd

SILVER Star
Threads
I have converted my 78' FJ40 to an spankin new H55F with split t-case from Cruiser Outfitters. It is in, and am not pleased with the length of throw of H/L with a twin sticks. So I proceeded to replace that with my original OEM single stick. Everything went well until... when I was changing the clasp that connects to the selector pin that extends out of the top of the case--I let it fall. I can barely grab it with a magnet, but unfortunately it won't pull past the rubber seal.

I'm looking for advice. The options that I see are:

1) pull the rubber seal and mash it back in there after I have the pin out. I don't know if the rubber seal has a metal holding spring in it, if so I don't stand a chance to get it back in.
2) Open up the t-case and do over. The last thing I want to do is split a new t-case.

Thanks for input on these an any other ideas.

Subscribed and good luck.

Then it was the dreaded “what do I do to avoid dropping the lever into the case”. Scratching my head I call one of my “go to” friends @POTATO LAUNCHER and Casey and I brainstorm. He had a great idea to get welding wire to stick to the top of the rod. Well…he’s one of the few I know that can make the mig dance the way he wants. Needless to say I could not make it happen and then it hit me…cut a piece of hanger and tack it. Was able to hold the lever up and get the washer installed. Filed off the excess and all is good. Ian had a great suggestion as well so I appreciate all the cruiser wisdom.

My luck would get a piece of slag in there and destroy some gears.

Not sure how the new cases are but some US cases did not have a PTO gear. Wonder if you raise the cruiser high on the driver's side then remove the PTO opening cover. Then get excess with something fished in thru opening to lift from the bottom. Should see it thru idler gear. Maybe something just round enough to fit over the top shaft and line it up. Doesn't work shouldn't cause any damage trying.

Guess this is something to check on a brand new transfer case. Unless you had loosened it for some reason.

I have converted my 78' FJ40 to an spankin new H55F with split t-case from Cruiser Outfitters. It is in, and am not pleased with the length of throw of H/L with a twin sticks. So I proceeded to replace that with my original OEM single stick. Everything went well until... when I was changing the clasp that connects to the selector pin that extends out of the top of the case--I let it fall. I can barely grab it with a magnet, but unfortunately it won't pull past the rubber seal.

I'm looking for advice. The options that I see are:

1) pull the rubber seal and mash it back in there after I have the pin out. I don't know if the rubber seal has a metal holding spring in it, if so I don't stand a chance to get it back in.
2) Open up the t-case and do over. The last thing I want to do is split a new t-case.

Thanks for input on these an any other ideas.
As mentioned I was in a bit of a different situation. I had to voluntarily remove the lever to get the spacer washer on that I left off earlier. So I dropped the trans crossmember about 5-6” and did what Jim reposted. I actually like your option 1. Here’s a pic of what the seal looks like. If you remove it, pull the lever up with a magnet, secure it somehow (maybe the same way I did by tacking a hanger to it), then grease up the seal and slide it back into place. Worst that can happen is you go to option #2. Good luck and hope this works out for you.

904CE6F5-2B13-4FCC-9718-DB1B7F8FDADB.jpeg

12957CD6-F7CF-46BB-9097-5BE0BC226210.jpeg

As mentioned I was in a bit of a different situation. I had to voluntarily remove the lever to get the spacer washer on that I left off earlier. So I dropped the trans crossmember about 5-6” and did what Jim reposted. I actually like your option 1. Here’s a pic of what the seal looks like. If you remove it, pull the lever up with a magnet, secure it somehow (maybe the same way I did by tacking a hanger to it), then grease up the seal and slide it back into place. Worst that can happen is you go to option #2. Good luck and hope this works out for you.

View attachment 3267550

View attachment 3267553
Thank you so much for the photo! That is exactly what I needed for option 1 to be viable.

My luck would get a piece of slag in there and destroy some gears.

Not sure how the new cases are but some US cases did not have a PTO gear. Wonder if you raise the cruiser high on the driver's side then remove the PTO opening cover. Then get excess with something fished in thru opening to lift from the bottom. Should see it thru idler gear. Maybe something just round enough to fit over the top shaft and line it up. Doesn't work shouldn't cause any damage trying.

Guess this is something to check on a brand new transfer case. Unless you had loosened it for some reason.

Yes indeed, and that will be option 2, moving the split down to option 4, because I received another brilliant option that will be #3- drain the fluid, get the pin (hockey stick) positioned with the magnet, and then charge the case with compressed air! From an invasive-evaluation perspective, this may be #1.

There are some bright stars in this think tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom