New Seats for the Thunderbus (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The XXL really is needed for the Troopy’s high roof. It’s perfect. I ordered the 80 brackets because I wanted to see how the XXL’s would fit in either truck. But the XXL’s are just too tall for the 80 series. I think I’m going with the Traveler LR so I can have the flip up seat option. The Traveler or Vario are great fit for 80 series.
Define too tall. Clearance to roof with headrest down vs up, your height and noggin clearance, console or seat-to-seat clearance, etc.? Thx!

Define too tall. Clearance to roof with headrest down vs up, your height and noggin clearance, console or seat-to-seat clearance, etc.? Thx!

The Vario XXL just looks odd in the 80 series because of the extended height of the backrest. The seat itself does not cause the individual to sit higher, it’s just the overal seat proportions. The backrest is the only difference on the XXL model. The standard seat will sit perfect.

The Vario XXL just looks odd in the 80 series because of the extended height of the backrest. The seat itself does not cause the individual to sit higher, it’s just the overal seat proportions. The backrest is the only difference on the XXL model. The standard seat will sit perfect.
Thx. Hows the seat and mount clearance on the inside? Room for an 8” #013 Tuffy console there? Armrest clearance issues?

@Bjorn Ogderlund - Did you gain any legroom with the new seats and bases? If so, how much more legroom would you say you have now?
Don't know that I gained any legroom. But I'm pretty sure I didn't lose any. The seats are in and my old seats are gone so measuring them is a moot point. They feel great, my big frame and monkey legs fit well. It seems as though the butt padding is slightly taller. My head's nearer the roof. Only slightly.

I have XXL Scheel-Mann seats in my 80.

I don't think they're too tall.

Don't know that I gained any legroom. But I'm pretty sure I didn't lose any. The seats are in and my old seats are gone so measuring them is a moot point. They feel great, my big frame and monkey legs fit well. It seems as though the butt padding is slightly taller. My head's nearer the roof. Only slightly.

We gained legroom with the Scheel-Mann sliders paired with Planted brackets. Both of us are over 6 foot so it is nice.

I’ll defer to @Bjorn Ogderlund for some installed pics and measurements. I only installed mine for a test fit before I put them in the other truck. I have a regular height seat back set coming.
Be good to see that too when installed, for comparison.

how do you fellas determine which model seats to go with, especially with sigh un-seen and un-seated trial?

how do you fellas determine which model seats to go with, especially with sigh un-seen and un-seated trial?
I live close to the manufacturer's rep and could literally sit in the seats at his office. But it's in Portland. So maybe you could find him at an Overland event somewhere near NM? Or maybe drop him a line, and he could get you in touch with some Scheel-Mann owners in NM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom