New member! 1998 JDM Land Cruiser 100 VX 4.2 L 1HD-FTE turbo diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, greetings from the Pacific Northwest. I'm excited to join the 100 Series family. Any other JDM 100 series folks out there? Right hand drive rocks! ;)

My LC is pretty much stock, 88k miles, and is in stunning condition. (I can't take credit; the former owner in ***uoka, Japan took good care of it)

I do notice a fair amount of bouncing and since it has the AHC suspension I plan to read up on those threads here to see about a solution. I'll probably start with replacing 25-yr-old shocks and accumulators and go from there...

20231007_135652(1).jpg

Welcome! There are some other JDM rigs lurking around. Cool ride!

Hi all, greetings from the Pacific Northwest. I'm excited to join the 100 Series family. Any other JDM 100 series folks out there? Right hand drive rocks! ;)

My LC is pretty much stock, 88k miles, and is in stunning condition. (I can't take credit; the former owner in f***uoka, Japan took good care of it)

I do notice a fair amount of bouncing and since it has the AHC suspension I plan to read up on those threads here to see about a solution. I'll probably start with replacing 25-yr-old shocks and accumulators and go from there...

View attachment 3453378

Great looking truck!! Really 1998?? Front grille and side trim have the appearance of 2005/2006 -- but maybe the PO just liked it that way. Wheels look good unusual on LC100 -- same design as my 2020 LC200. At only 88k miles restoration of a fully functional AHC/TEMS should not be difficult nor expensive. It is a fair bet that new AHC Fluid and new 'globes' will make a difference -- but it would be very unsual to need new shocks unless rusted out. 'Shock Absorbers' on the LC100 with AHC basically are hydraulic struts -- VERY longlived unless subjected to sustained AHC over-pressure or if/when bushes crack or chew out -- damping takes place in the 'Damping Force Control Actuators' to which the 'globes' (aka 'accumulators' aka 'spheres' aka 'gas chambers') are attached.

Here is some 'light reading' which may be useful -- actually a bundle of references in relation to the AHC/TEMS systems from the on-line Factory Service Manual for LC100 -- may be too much all at once but may be useful some day. Meanwhile enjoy the truck!

General Description of the AHC/TEMS systems with explanations and diagrams of components -- good place to start, explains how it all works:

LC100 Workshop Manual - https://lc100e.github.io/,
then scroll down through the index panel on the LHS of the opening page:
+ New Car Features
+ CHASSIS
+ Suspension
+ Active Height Control and Skyhook TEMS

Scrolling to “Repair Manual” and “DIAGNOSTICS” reveals relevant diagnostic and test information, etc. For example:

LC100 Workshop Manual - https://lc100e.github.io/
+ Repair Manual
+ DIAGNOSTICS
+ ACTIVE HEIGHT CONTROL SUSPENSION & SKYHOOK TEMS

Scrolling to Electrical Wiring Diagram and visually tracing the circuits helps with understandings of how things work:

+ Electrical Wiring Diagram
+ OVERALL ELECTRICAL WIRING DIAGRAM (RHD)
+ Active Height Control Suspension
+ Choose relevant year -- note: there can be some differences in EWD's for LC100 and LX470
The coloured EWD is better -- found at Post #420 at this thread:

The ABCs of AHC - How to Measure, Flush, and Adjust all in one place - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/the-abcs-of-ahc-how-to-measure-flush-and-adjust-all-in-one-place.1211999/page-21#post-14909889

Scrolling to “Repair Manual” reveals settings, repair information etc. For example:

+ Repair Manual
+ SUSPENSION AND AXLE
+ ACTIVE HEIGHT CONTROL SYSTEM
+ ON-VEHICLE INSPECTION

@IndroCruise Look close at the grille. It’s 06-07 style but fits a 98-02. I’m betting it was a common aftermarket thing in Japan to update it to the new look.

My LC is pretty much stock, 88k miles, and is in stunning condition. (I can't take credit; the former owner in f***uoka, Japan took good care of it)

View attachment 3453378
Nice, did you import it yourself? Or buy it from an importer?

I only have a JDM 80 series at the moment. Planning on a 100/105 next.

@IndroCruise Look close at the grille. It’s 06-07 style but fits a 98-02. I’m betting it was a common aftermarket thing in Japan to update it to the new look.
Yes, Aftermarket upgrade on the grille. I looked to order one a few years ago but it was too expensive with shipping costs.
They are hard to find now.

Yes -- seems possible as an after-market thing in Japan. Maybe there are differences in different markets. The Toyota Australia Press Room extract at the link below shows how the top-of-line Japan-built LC100 model looked when the "update" with the different grill was released in Australia in August 2005. At this time, the top-of-line version was designated "Sahara" -- ridiculous marketing given that Australia has plenty of its own deserts to use in a name, does not need an African desert!!

CONVENIENCE AND SAFETY UPGRADE FOR SAHARA - https://pressroom.toyota.com.au/PressRelease?pr-code=48eff60e-d07b-4bcd-a45d-d304c5866f87

The LC100 with 1HD-FTE turbodiesel was first released in Australia around October 2000 in various model versions and trims. The history is shown here:

AustralianCar.Reviews: #1 for Reviews and Used Car Valuations - https://australiancar.reviews/reviews.php#!content=review&make=Toyota&model=Landcruiser&gen=905

The LC100 "Sahara" versions equipped with AHC/TEMS were short-lived in Australia -- only marketed from August 2005 until late-2006/early-2007 when LC100 was superseded here by LC200.

Different to other markets, this was the only LC100 version marketed in Australia that was fitted with AHC/TEMS with either the 2UZ-FE V8 petrol (gasoline) engine or the much more expensive but far more economical and generally delightful 1HD-FTE 4.5 litre "straight" 6 cylinder turbodiesel engine.

The LX470 came to Australia with 2UZ-FE petrol (gasoline) V8 and AHC/TEMS from the beginning around 1998.

Not particularly relevant -- but sadly the LC200 was never marketed in Australia with the newer AHC/AVS suspension -- instead it was necessary to step up (with another approx AUD20,000!!) to the LX570 for this feature, then it was V8 petrol (gasoline) only, until late in the piece when the LX450d alternative appeared briefly in this market with the 1VD-FTV turbodiesel V8.

Last edited:
Beautiful rig!!! Hows about some more pictures???!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom