New FJ60 Owner - with some minor problems to fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

Last year I bought a 1985 FJ60. I grew up with an old FJ60 as our main camping vehicle and always wanted one. So when the opportunity came up to purchase one of my own I jumped at the chance!

It's been an awesome vehicle so far, despite a few minor issues that are more related to operator error (attempting to teach someone to drive stick on an older 2F engine was not the smartest idea) the truck has been awesome. But now I want to start tweaking some things now that I have relatively enough time to start.

One I'd like to start with is aligning the hood. On the drivers side, the hood sinks about a 1/4 inch lower than on the passenger side, which is aligned fine. Along with that, the hood gets kind of hung up on the center back, near the windshield, and pops when the hood is opened. I've taken a look at hood a little bit trying to find out why hood is off kilter, and gets hung up on the top. I would really appreciate any suggestions anyone might have and am excited to be a part of the community!

IMG_1632 (1).jpg

IMG_1635 (1).jpg

View attachment 1666569

Welcome. Overall, sounds like you have a nice looking cruiser. I'm no body man, but it there a chance your frame is twisted? I've had 2 cruisers and never had a similar issue.

Welcome. Overall, sounds like you have a nice looking cruiser. I'm no body man, but it there a chance your frame is twisted? I've had 2 cruisers and never had a similar issue.

I guess there might be a chance. Trying to get it registered we found out that the car was at some point, about 13 years ago, declared totaled by insurance, but then someone fixed it up and got a salvage title for it. So that could be a definite possibility.

see where it is binding on the back and ease in some clearance. bring the hood bumper on the drivers side out to keep the corner from dipping... cardboard and tape are paints friend. a shovel makes a nice curve shape pry bar for areas like the rear of the hood, where you may need to add a bit of a big bow to it...

I guess there might be a chance. Trying to get it registered we found out that the car was at some point, about 13 years ago, declared totaled by insurance, but then someone fixed it up and got a salvage title for it. So that could be a definite possibility.
Good luck.

Hi, Where the hood hinges on the firewall there are 4 bolts holding the hood , on each side .Also where the hood is bolted to the hinges as it is raised up underneath the hood itself. Take a black marker an outline each as it sits now. These can be loosened !DONT REMOVE THEM COMPLETELY. Now you can adjust the hood up and down in the rear and left and right, in and out . I would start with the ones under the hood itself first. Go slow ,have help ,loosen just enough to move the hood. This takes time, don't be in a hurry .Mike

see where it is binding on the back and ease in some clearance. bring the hood bumper on the drivers side out to keep the corner from dipping... cardboard and tape are paints friend. a shovel makes a nice curve shape pry bar for areas like the rear of the hood, where you may need to add a bit of a big bow to it...

So create a little space between the rear o
Hi, Where the hood hinges on the firewall there are 4 bolts holding the hood , on each side .Also where the hood is bolted to the hinges as it is raised up underneath the hood itself. Take a black marker an outline each as it sits now. These can be loosened !DONT REMOVE THEM COMPLETELY. Now you can adjust the hood up and down in the rear and left and right, in and out . I would start with the ones under the hood itself first. Go slow ,have help ,loosen just enough to move the hood. This takes time, don't be in a hurry .Mike

Awesome! Thanks!

Mine dips in the front like your and I believe it was from an unreported front end accident. When I replaced the radio at the beginning of the year I found other small things indicating such. PO did a pretty good job of straightening everything out but I believe this was a major catalyst to the crappy paint job she has now. Just something I have grown to live with after trying to twist the hood some on my own to make it a bit straighter.

Otherwise the hood is like any other door on the vehicle and can be moved, adjusted to make even gaps and what not. Grab a buddy, some beer and get at it.

Ive seen a lot of 60’s, torn several down and even reinstalled many hoods. It’s rare to see a 60 that lines up perfectly on the front clip. Micheal’s post above is spot on for adjusting. My most recent truck is from two totaled 60 s. Took the best of everything and still had a hard time with alignment. Good frame and all :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom