New F & 2F carbs (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OK, I think I will got with a carb, confused by the talk of cable etc, assume that referes to the cable going directly onto the carb (like F engines?) or the pivoted cam on the bracket that drives a lever? Have not seen an F engine for 25 years.
Need to fit carb on a '76 2F

Customs should be my problem? Usally they pickup on the invoice and charge against that, I don't mind the duty, usally it's almost nothing, problem is the carrier gets to charge a handling fee that can be much more than the duty on small values, $10 tax and $40 handling...

Top spacer???????????

From what I can tell the early cruisers started off with a mechanical linkage. Mechanical in the sense there were rods and fulcrums that actuated the carb throttle plates. That was from 1958-1967.

Then in 1968 Toyota switched over to a cable driven linkage. For 2 years 1968-1969 that cable was around 18 inches long.

Then in 1970 Toyota made the cable longer. Like 25 inches long. This was used from 1970- 09/1973 we Toyota decided the mechanical rods were the way to go.

From 09/73 to 07/87 Toyota stuck with the mechanical linkage.

Initially this carb would only fit 1980-1987 2f's. The reason it's just for these years is it's 9mm shorter than the 09/73-1979 carbs. Because those cruiser came equipped with the EGR tube that was sandwiched in between the carb it made them taller than the later carbs. Also the choke cable changed during that transition. It went from having a throttle stop (the little clamp on the carb that holds the throttle cable to the choke linkage) to having a place where the later choke cable ends clipped in.

So in summery

1970-09/73 throttle cable linkage
09/73-07/87 mechanical linkage

09/73-1979 tall carb
1979-07/87 short carb (9mm short).

So what I did was design a carb that would fit all those years. With a few modifications. Here is what I did.

If you have a later 1980-1987 cruiser the only thing you will need to modify is the idle solenoid power connection. If you want to keep the stock look I'd suggest cutting my end that I have supplied off and splice yours off your old carb on. There were way to many variations. Mine is a simple spade connector. Not much though in the way of modifications. But it's probably wise to inspect your carb and see if it has the EGR tube sandwiched in the middle.

If you have an earlier cruiser 09/73-1979 you will need to do a few things to make it fit.

1. the carb is shorter than the original. If you are using the stock air cleaner and use this carb there will be a 9mm gap between them. I have made an adapter that will fix this. You just slide it over the top. I designed it to be a tight fit and if you still have your gasket on your air cleaner I'd recommend installing the adapter in the air cleaner first. You can use a twisting motion to get it in.

spacer.jpg

2. The early choke cables have no provision for a cable stop (little lead barrel on the end of the cable). I supply a cable stop so that you can still use your early choke cable. It should be pretty easy to figure out how it goes. Basically you insert the stop in the choke cable mechanism on the carb with the screw facing out. Then insert the cable and tighten it down.

3. Fuel lines. The carb sits 9mm lower than the stock early carbs. This means the fuel inlet is 9mm low. This shouldn't be a problem but it will require you to slightly bend the fuel line to get it to fit.

4. You will need to attach a female spade connector to your idle solenoid wire on your harness. Or if you have your old carb you can cut that connector off and splice it on the new one so it has the factory look.

5. If you have a fuel return line currently on your carb. Plug it. You won't need it for this carb. You can cap it at the carb or better yet cap it at the fuel pump. One less thing to have to worry about.

If you live in a higher altitude. Say above 5000 feet the high altitude jets are included. They reside behind the float bowl drains.

All in all it's a very simple swap.

Dash throttle cable hooks to your pedal right? Not aware of one that connects to the carb.

I've never actually seen a 68-69 carb. How does the choke attach. As long as it's a cable driven linkage it should be fine hooking it up.

As far as the cable throttle cable it will be at least 6 weeks before I can get a conversion kit for this carb. I am working on other solutions in the mean time.

I'm thinking my 1969 Dash throttle cable hooks to the carb, but I converted to a weber, so I'm not sure (I think I have a couple of unused cables hanging in the engine compartment). Looking at SOR site, it looks like it goes to the pedal, but I don't remember this. I'll check and get back.

Got my new carb installed!

Got mine in the mail today and wow, I didn't know my cruiser could sound so good. Idle is amazing, power is much improved. Can't wait to see if I have an improvement in mileage. Going from original 160k carb to this is like night and day.

Install was a piece of cake. 45 minutes and I was on the road. Don't mind my messy engine bay.

Mine is a 12/79 2F on an fj40. No issues with choke or linkage hookup.

Thanks again, one of the best upgrades i've done so far.
IMG_3069.JPG
IMG_3070.JPG

This looks like a great option.
My only hesitation is that the carb looks much more complicated than my '67 Single Barrel.
(Actually a Carter YF of the same year thanks to the PO)
Hell, the choke is manual and the only external adjustment is the idle screw.

However, since I can't seem to get it and the new HEI running correctly, do you see this being a good option for someone in my situation?

(Regardless, telling the Australian guy about the company selling the same goods down there was cool)

Cheers and good luck,
Brog

This looks like a great option.
My only hesitation is that the carb looks much more complicated than my '67 Single Barrel.
(Actually a Carter YF of the same year thanks to the PO)
Hell, the choke is manual and the only external adjustment is the idle screw.

However, since I can't seem to get it and the new HEI running correctly, do you see this being a good option for someone in my situation?

(Regardless, telling the Australian guy about the company selling the same goods down there was cool)

Cheers and good luck,
Brog

67 as in the two bolts holding the carb to the manifold 67? If so this will not bolt on to a 67 that I know of. But I'm willing to figure something out so it will.

How about a picture of what you have?

You've got $. This is going on a friends '78 40. If all goes well i'll be ordering one up for a friends '85 fj60.

Thanks for your commitment to the good ole f & 2f engines.

Mike

I put in my order on Monday and look what arrived today. Marshall, Thanks for the excellent packaging job and super speedy shipping. Once I get my engine back together I will post up some install pictures. These pristine clean parts look so out of place when installed on a dirty old engine I think I may have to clean my old 2F up. :hillbilly:
IMG_8366.jpg

I'll have to 2nd that John, I received my carb. in a short order. I appreciate it Marshall, I like doing business with people like you. No run around, just turn around. I'll also post up some pics of the install. I might have to do some cleaning myself. One question, What size plugs do I use to plug the air rail ports once I've removed it? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again Marshall, Great product.

Mike

I'll have to 2nd that John, I received my carb. in a short order. I appreciate it Marshall, I like doing business with people like you. No run around, just turn around. I'll also post up some pics of the install. I might have to do some cleaning myself. One question, What size plugs do I use to plug the air rail ports once I've removed it? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again Marshall, Great product.

Mike

Your welcome.My goal is to ship within 24 hrs of getting the order. Don't know if that will always happen but that's the plan. I'm doing a 10 point inspection on every carb before it leaves me.

Idle solenoid check
all bolts torqued to spec
all linkage moves freely and is to spec
(Some of you will notice a zinc washer on the primary throttle linkage. I put it there because I wasn't happy with the spacing.)
Check secondary diapram operation
Check base plate that it's square
Check for and casting issues that prevent proper operation
Install high altitude jets if specified
And well about 3 or 4 more basic checks

All so you get a good quality product. And well packaging them is a challenge also. I hope y'all like some of my packaging materials. lol

Yep, i'll agree with all the above about fast turn around and good quality ! I installed it today on a '78 2f and it went smooth, no issues, and fired right up and is running great. Thanks for pre-installing the high altitude jets.
No more rebuilds for me or anyone i know, in fact, you will be shipping another early next week to go on an '85 60. Order up kids, this is the real deal.

Mike

For those of you that have taken the air rail off, What kind of plugs, and what size plug do you use to put in the holes once it's removed? Also if someone has some pics of which vacuum lines can be removed and which ones will have to be plugged. This is my first time doing this, and any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

For those of you that have taken the air rail off, What kind of plugs, and what size plug do you use to put in the holes once it's removed? Also if someone has some pics of which vacuum lines can be removed and which ones will have to be plugged. This is my first time doing this, and any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

For air rail plugs see here. https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/63970-air-rail-plug-pics.html

Then call Lance at Iron Pig and just get him to send you some. Or go OEM. I always have used the OEM route.

DSC00795.JPG

As far as hoses. If you have a distributor that is vented I'd keep that plumbing.

Only thing you need is a vac line from the carb to the distributor and one to the brake booster. Everything else can come off or be capped off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom