New F & 2F carbs (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Excellent plan. That will make it much closer to a bolt-on for the 75-80 models.

Thanks. Jim in all my measurements from what I can tell the original spacers were 19mm. This doesn't include the gaskets. My carb has a 9mm spacer. So I have made a 10mm spacer that goes on the top of the carb. I wasn't aware of the 15mm difference just a 10mm.

I would be very interested in these. You'll be getting a PM.

Quick questions, is the boss/port there for the fuel return. I know these are settup without it, but just capping it off can be problematic. Can it be tapped for use if wanted?

Also on parts interchangebility, would a rebuild kit for a 2F carb work just fine in these? Will a toyota secondary diaghram work in it? Also, on the dizzy, will a petronix kit bolt in, and do you just order early cap and wires for tuneups?

Looks like a great product though and a great alternative. I tried to retrofit mine, ended up with a 77 high altitude 2F carb on my 73 1F. It works pretty good, and there is not much smog stuff to worry about, but the carb is just overall tired. I had to JB weld the top stud in, as it was boken out, shafts are sloppy etc... I think it would run good with a new carb.

You also mentioned jetting, I'm at 6200 feet, jetting down is needed for me usually, would you have some jet options available, as Toyota jets are hard to come by?

I don't care if your TBI solution looks like a stock carb or not and I'm more than happy to just put a cover plate over the stock fuel pump opening. What really matters to me is you can get 100% of everything you need in one bolt-on plug & play kit AND it really does work right AND reliably without 200 iterations of trial and error. That is currently what is keeping me away from TBI since from what I read it seems to take people forever to get the bugs worked out and get their units dialed in and running reliably.

If you can offer up a TBI solution that fits those criteria for a fair price, then I'm all over it.

I would be very interested in these. You'll be getting a PM.

Quick questions, is the boss/port there for the fuel return. I know these are settup without it, but just capping it off can be problematic. Can it be tapped for use if wanted?

Also on parts interchangebility, would a rebuild kit for a 2F carb work just fine in these? Will a toyota secondary diaghram work in it? Also, on the dizzy, will a petronix kit bolt in, and do you just order early cap and wires for tuneups?

Looks like a great product though and a great alternative. I tried to retrofit mine, ended up with a 77 high altitude 2F carb on my 73 1F. It works pretty good, and there is not much smog stuff to worry about, but the carb is just overall tired. I had to JB weld the top stud in, as it was boken out, shafts are sloppy etc... I think it would run good with a new carb.

You also mentioned jetting, I'm at 6200 feet, jetting down is needed for me usually, would you have some jet options available, as Toyota jets are hard to come by?

Researching your questions. I do know a stock secondary diaphragm will fit right in.

As far as the Pertronix I would say yes. That being said I have yet to install one. But until I can verify that I have to say no until I can say for a definite.

Boss port. Same as above. Though if you have a rich issue you could always run the later fuel pump.

Cap and wires. Will have all the numbers for the rebuilds later this month. GSMTR is stating tomorrow for me and well I'm leading it up. So please understand my mind is a little scrambled right now. Should be back to normal Mon.

I don't care if your TBI solution looks like a stock carb or not and I'm more than happy to just put a cover plate over the stock fuel pump opening. What really matters to me is you can get 100% of everything you need in one bolt-on plug & play kit AND it really does work right AND reliably without 200 iterations of trial and error. That is currently what is keeping me away from TBI since from what I read it seems to take people forever to get the bugs worked out and get their units dialed in and running reliably.

If you can offer up a TBI solution that fits those criteria for a fair price, then I'm all over it.

I like your ways of thinking.;)

Marshall,

I'm with MtnTrucker...I'm going to do TBI at some point on the 40, but with all the issues I'm having with the new TD 80, I don't have the time to futz with it for months! If you can pull off a near bolt on set up, with a correctly programed PROM...I'll send the $$ ASAP.

Great work on the carbs and looking forward to the TBI setup!

see ya in a few days!!

Todd

So, I have a 72 with cable linkage -- How big of a PITA is it going to be to switch back to mechanical linkage, or is it possible to figure out a cable setup?

So, I have a 72 with cable linkage -- How big of a PITA is it going to be to switch back to mechanical linkage, or is it possible to figure out a cable setup?

I'm working on that. I'd much rather have an adapter made that will allow for the cable than to have you try to put the mechanical on it. Give me a little time to figure it out.

I'm currently running a 77 on a 73 F with cable. I rigged up my own setup for the cable, that kind of mimicks the late 60's cable setup. However I have sourced a used bell crank, which is the peice at least on mine that bolts down with the carb base studs on the left side of the carb, and takes the cable movement and translates that into a rod and onto the carb linkage. With a few tweaks, I think this part will bolt right back on with a 2F carb, and still use the cable just like stock.

The next issue will be finding these aftermarket, refurbished or in good shape used. I haven't put mine on yet, because the rivited pivot point is pretty sloppy. I think I will have to drill it out and repair it somehow. But it appears it will work great when done.

Marshall, would like to get one for my grey 40 and get that Webber off of it. Put me down for F engine one.

The factory could install the 1968 FA throttle arm & cable clamp on the 1981 FJ40 carb.

Issue with that is the choke cable holder gets in the way.

I can get the cable cam from a 3f carb and add it but I still don't have the mount for the early cable. hmmm.

IMG_3320.jpg

I am interested in a carb with the accelerator cable option.

Or could I get the linkage off of a '78 or so and mount it on my '69 (which is getting a 2f sometime soon)? I think I can get the linkage of off a '78 fj55 - would that work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom