New EFI relay to the rescue 2000 miles away. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So our daughter has our 97 Cruiser at college in SE Michigan. Its got 270,000 bulletproof miles on it. But it began starting hard after she came back to it when Christmas break ended. I had her face time me when she started it and I said "EFI Relay, I will send you one right over". So I did and it has run perfectly ever since. So all the stuff we learn about these old girls just keeps on giving, ya know? A $9 part and $4 shipping and 10 minutes of her time. Versus bringing it to some shop for $300 worth of exploratory work.

I was pumped it worked and I get to keep wearing that huge medal on my chest that has a Cruiser on it and underneath says "Go on - Break something!" Heh.

To help others, I should add the symptoms I've seen over the years that turned out to be the EFI relay: Engine just turns over and over but occasionally cranking speeds up as a couple cylinders briefly fire but the engine will not catch and run without pressing the gas pedal. Commonly happens when hot such as stopping for fuel on a road trip when starting up to continue. Hot engine soak. Or when stone cold in winter, cranks fruitlessly. I don't know what fails but it seems like every 120-150k miles these days and I only used Toyota parts. I have a spare now.

Isn't there already a spare in the under hood fuse panel? I need to check this.

No spare relays in the block, only fuses.

Isn't there already a spare in the under hood fuse panel? I need to check this.

There is space for a spare in the under the hood fuse block.

The window relay in the drivers kick panel is the same. You can free up the by doing the window power without the key on mod below.

Window power without key on made EZ

I was pumped it worked and I get to keep wearing that huge medal on my chest that has a Cruiser on it and underneath says "Go on - Break something!" Heh.

Sorry to hijack the thread but @IdahoDoug you've had lots of people sending you money and no one has gotten a DVD since April. If you'd like, I can help you set up an online option where you don't have to mail a DVD and they can get instant access once they pay. PM me, I am one of many that would love to get our hands on the DVD. Thanks

Upon IH8MUD's advice I carry a spare EFI relay and fusible link (in addition to my other army of parts). I haven't needed them yet but when I do I'm going to feel like super-cruiser-man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom