New death wobble all of a sudden (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I've owned this truck for 2 years (1981 bj60 SOA) and never once had a death wobble, at any speed, any terrain. the steering box has been a bit sloppy the whole time I've owned it but its never caused me grief. I installed a high steer kit from 4x4 labs with the GM 1ton ends a few weeks ago as well. dampener seemed fine when I installed it.

So I just had my new tires put on, I got a set of 37x12.50r17 goodyear mtr/k on 17x9 wheels w/ a 3.5"bs. the tires are balanced with beads inside. after a few minutes I noticed the steering wheel beginning to shake, slowed right down and it stopped. it doesn't happen every time but I have no idea when it will or will not start.

I've read that going around and confirming everything is tight is a good place to start. it looks like my leaf spring bushing could use a replacement too.

my question is, is this just a coincidence that I developed death wobble at the same time I got the new tires or is it possible the new tires are causing it?

thanks!

13427721_10209538773890582_5875728632264836669_n.jpg

I think the new tires with the combination of beads for balancing could be your source.

Were you using beads previously?

Are the wheels new? I had a bent wheel on the rear and did a rotation to the front. Death wobble started. Also needed to re torque the front leafs. Might be a start.

Maybe need a bigger steering dampner?

Balanced with beads? Aka Dynabeads?

Yes exactly

I think the new tires with the combination of beads for balancing could be your source.

Were you using beads previously?

No I wasn't using them before, just your average hammer on weights

Are the wheels new? I had a bent wheel on the rear and did a rotation to the front. Death wobble started. Also needed to re torque the front leafs. Might be a start.

Wheels are brand new, I have to go back today anyways so maybe I'll see if the shop can do something about it. At least hear what they have to say

Also ots worth noting it happens at 60kmh, could happen at faster speeds but tend not to push through it. Instead I slow down and re accelerate. Doesn't always wobble

37" tires are heavy, I'd opt for hammer on weights or stick on weights on the inside of the wheel if you don't want them to show. It seems like beads would only work at higher speeds when I think through it in my head. I know people run them on the street, but I personally would never even try.

37" tires are heavy, I'd opt for hammer on weights or stick on weights on the inside of the wheel if you don't want them to show. It seems like beads would only work at higher speeds when I think through it in my head. I know people run them on the street, but I personally would never even try.

A good question for me to ask later, thanks!

What triggers your DW? Hitting a pothole or uneven road?

What triggers your DW? Hitting a pothole or uneven road?

I haven't even figured it out, I've only driven a grand total of an hour on them probably. It happens s at Complete random from what I can see. Quicker acceleration (as fast as a SOA bj60 can) seems to make it happen more frequently. It happened while making a sweeping corner at about 50kmh this morning, but not again afterwards.

I've tried aiming for the potholes, quickly making a swerving motion with the steering wheel back and forth...consistently not a factor. Seems to just happen for no reason upon acceleration

All the above suggestions make sense to me. Also, check things like wheel bearings, knuckle bearings, etc.

Watching the wheel today, it's not spinning straight. It's noticeably off kilter. Wobbly by itself at any speed and I'm assuming that it just compounds on itself until it's a full blown death wobble

^ by "the wheel" do you mean the steering wheel or the wheels on the truck?

id get those beads out of there.. thats old school tech that work sometimes, but will never be as consistent as a weight.

^ by "the wheel" do you mean the steering wheel or the wheels on the truck?

id get those beads out of there.. thats old school tech that work sometimes, but will never be as consistent as a weight.

Wheel as in the rim...my bad.

Heading back to the tire ship today, you g to ask to get those beads outta there

They seemed like a cool idea at first but after this and hearing everyone's opinion on them I'm not so keen anymore

For sure. they can work, but they also have to be spinning at a high rate of speed for them to balance out. because they move around, and are always re-balancing themselves... especially during acceleration, i think they likely point to your random death wobble....

I run beads as well. If you don't have the right amount of weight your tire will wobble. Did you get an alignment after your hi steer set up was done?

OK so I think I may have solved this. The way the steel wheels mount, there are actually two surfaces that make contact, while the section with the stuff holes is actually spaced off the drum or caliper. The spacers I was running were too small OD and too big ID. With them like this they were seating properly on the rim (rolling off to one side creating a lopsided surface). Pulled the spacers off the front and threw in some larger new ones in the rear

Tires aren't wobbling at any speed so far

More to come

Old on the right, new on the left
IMAG1820.jpg
IMAG1821.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom