New axle shaft too short. Remote location.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Oct 29, 2025
Threads
2
Messages
17
Location
Papua New Guinea
Hi,

After an outer bearing failure I am rebuilding my front steering knuckle and replacing the spindle and axle shaft. I ordered replacement parts from Terrain Tamer but the axle shaft they supplied is too short. The parts were air freighted to me and took a week and a half to come. Now I'm stuck. Any other fixes besides a different axle? I may be able to get a poor quality Chinese part locally but certainly do not want to.
1789795836405.webp
 
You need to provide a lot more information for us to help you.

Year/model/frame number/specifications.

What truck are you even driving?

No mind readers here unfortunately.

There have been numerous changes to birfields during the course of 70 series life. It’s a 40+ year old platform.
 
get the axle stretcher out
 
You need to provide a lot more information for us to help you.

Year/model/frame number/specifications.

What truck are you even driving?

No mind readers here unfortunately.

There have been numerous changes to birfields during the course of 70 series life. It’s a 40+ year old platform.
Hi,

Thank you.
You need to provide a lot more information for us to help you.

Year/model/frame number/specifications.

What truck are you even driving?

No mind readers here unfortunately.

There have been numerous changes to birfields during the course of 70 series life. It’s a 40+ year old platform.
Hi,

Thanks for responding. I'm very new to posting in this forum/website/thread and definitely don't know my way around yet.

I have a 2016 HZJ79R-TJMRS

It is a 79 series Landcruiser originally bought from the Toyota dealer here in Papua New Guinea.
 
Hi,

After an outer bearing failure I am rebuilding my front steering knuckle and replacing the spindle and axle shaft. I ordered replacement parts from Terrain Tamer but the axle shaft they supplied is too short. The parts were air freighted to me and took a week and a half to come. Now I'm stuck. Any other fixes besides a different axle? I may be able to get a poor quality Chinese part locally but certainly do not want to. View attachment 4215651

Maybe these guys. Toyota Axles - Toyota Chromoly Axle Swap Kits - https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/c-121794-axle-shafts-toyota-axle-shafts.html
 
43405-60120 is birfield for free hub and auto hubs. The drive flange birfield is shorter and is 1-2 splines different.

I have

in my truck. maybe not OEM but they seem to work well and are less expensive.
 
What’s wrong with the old axle/berfild that you decided to replace it ?
 
I’m on my phone right now so hard to see, but if you’re talking about what I see near the end of the stub shaft closest to the splines as long as the seal surfaces are good and the berfild was not damaged I would clean that up with a floppy disc or a hand file and run it.

You should be able to return the new as it’s the wrong part.
 
I’m on my phone right now so hard to see, but if you’re talking about what I see near the end of the stub shaft closest to the splines as long as the seal surfaces are good and the berfild was not damaged I would clean that up with a floppy disc or a hand file and run it.

You should be able to return the new as it’s the wrong part.
Great. I had the same thought about using the damaged one. That portion would just be "floating" inside the spindle.
 
I believe the shorter axle that was delivered is for locked hubs. You have either manual or auto-locking hubs. If you have manual hubs, then you have the same spindle as the locked hub style and therefore can temporarily run the locked hub (43421-60060) with that axle.
 

Attachments

Hello,

Does your truck have manual or automatic hubs?

You can always contact Terrain Tamer and ask them about the application for the kit you got. Then you can return it and get the proper one from them.





Juan
 
It would help if you post year and model!
Now if you have a 70 series then a longer C.V.(birfield) is what you want.
The newer 80 series C.V. will fit.
If you have part-time or electric hubs you can convert that side to functional by removing the parts and simply add a drive flange of the appropriate thickness.
Note my 75series...one part-time hub on drivers side, full-time on passenger side.
The 79 series will fit, But you need to file or machine the top outer splines to fit the drive flange.

17899847624741768418854322443543.webp


17899848708301179487468369222593.webp


17899849099985784777363806555677.webp
 
@OGBeno suggestion is legit. Stop the guess work and others chiming in with information that may not work. Provide details, pics of your truck he suggested.
 
Well I have factory 2011 HZJ7x axles from the oft seen decapitated blue hzj76 sold on eBay on my 79 series build. 5 lug axles. Converted from drive plates to standard free hubs in a dirt carport of a Tucson, Arizona rental in 2017.

Original poster has "I have a 2016 HZJ79R-TJMRS"

I think I am talking apples to apples.
 
Great. I had the same thought about using the damaged one. That portion would just be "floating" inside the spindle.
I think he has a solution already ;)
 
It would help if you post year and model!
Now if you have a 70 series then a longer C.V.(birfield) is what you want.
The newer 80 series C.V. will fit.
If you have part-time or electric hubs you can convert that side to functional by removing the parts and simply add a drive flange of the appropriate thickness.
Note my 75series...one part-time hub on drivers side, full-time on passenger side.
The 79 series will fit, But you need to file or machine the top outer splines to fit the drive flange.

View attachment 4216626

View attachment 4216627

View attachment 4216628
ghetto.....🤣
 
Back
Top Bottom