NEW 80 Series Multigauge Clock Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

very nice product!

i have an early ('90 HDJ80 1HD-T) 80 series that I have been wishing for an EGT/BOOST in lieu of the antiquated clock.

i am not speaking for the rest of the community, but a simple EGT/BOOST seems like it would be a huge sale?

-Sean

very nice product!

i have an early ('90 HDJ80 1HD-T) 80 series that I have been wishing for an EGT/BOOST in lieu of the antiquated clock.

i am not speaking for the rest of the community, but a simple EGT/BOOST seems like it would be a huge sale?

-Sean
Current model already does that, but is only available for the late model dash (95-97)

dang! I'd be in for a RHD '93 version, particularly if you can get it reading all the OBD1 data and codes.

I have a toyobd1 reader, but apparently a recent change to firmware has tanked compatibility with some devices, so at this point it seems tp be useless

Any long term reviews? Had I seen this a couple of years ago, it would already be in my truck but just happened upon it today. Sadly, the money tree got murdered by the HVAC guys as I got home from vacation a couple of weeks ago, so this will be a few months down the road for my rig.

Just wanted to add a little writeup on my install here. I haven't driven with it yet but I'm very happy so far. 1997 HDJ81 (RHD)

The sensors seem top quality. I mounted the boost sensor on the firewall and the EGT sensor on this EGR plate to the rear of the exhaust manifold.

PCUPFTS.jpg

Ul0MUt2.jpg

RCw93Nl.jpg

8aZhW5J.jpg

The Multigauge plugs right into the clock trim.

yeRl00K.jpg

As mentioned in the instructions, to center it properly you might need to file some plastic on either side:

cniYsIR.jpg

1Tnm3qk.jpg

The option to make your own loading screen is cool. I couldn't figure out how to reduce the size of the .BMP any smaller than 230kb though and it loads slowly. But still cool.

JIjQ2Fx.jpg

All wired up and ready to go:

fGym3Q2.jpg

I ran into a snag here - the fan under the dash blocks the Multigauge. This fan was apparently only on some 80 Series, to cool down the stock head unit.

fHlnHvq.jpg

This fan is mounted using two screws facing away from the firewall. I was able to remove the right screw with a low profile ratcheting screwdriver, but the left was nearly impossible to reach behind the dash on the passenger side:

EImjps3.jpg

This is a view from below, lying down in the passenger footwell looking up. I couldn't get my hand or any sort of tool in there.

n9rbmLN.jpg

I was eventually able to get it out with this flexible right hand drill setup:

K9HEKPZ.jpg

HrVDOMn.jpg

Once that was out, it all snapped in place no problem.

m5TpczP.jpg

syneq3c.jpg

Like I said, haven't driven it yet but I really like the package. Minimal, no need to use gauge pods or pillar mounts. Quality sensors, wire and hardware. Great directions.

My only question @Lutz Auto - is there any way I can change the font of "EGT" and "BOOST" ? I know that's picky but I'm curious!

I just wanted to make a clarification on my previous post. I talked to Lutz Auto and they specifically solder the wired connection to the stock clock harness on the RHD version. You can see how it's flexible.

k2RebZ5.jpg

My problem, I now realize, is that I used long heat shrink QD connectors for all my external sensors - they're not flexible once heat shrunk. That's what was running into the fan and preventing installation. So as long as you plan for that when setting up your wiring you may not have to remove the fan like I did.

RxPPQop.jpg

I just wanted to make a clarification on my previous post. I talked to Lutz Auto and they specifically solder the wired connection to the stock clock harness on the RHD version. You can see how it's flexible.

k2RebZ5.jpg

My problem, I now realize, is that I used long heat shrink QD connectors for all my external sensors - they're not flexible once heat shrunk. That's what was running into the fan and preventing installation. So as long as you plan for that when setting up your wiring you may not have to remove the fan like I did.

RxPPQop.jpg

@ikarus That is good to know about the fan. I have my dash apart currently and I do have that fan as well.

I will be buying a Multigauge before my dash goes back in (and once my LS swap is done).

This is a really great product. I'm going to have to get one of these.

Any update on pre-95 HDJ (early dash) gauge? Thanks!

So, I made some prototype hardware for pre 95 LC's, but really wasn't happy with it. The only screen that I have found that fits properly is a single color graphic style display. It isn't touch screen and doesn't leave any room for onboard buttons. This means that the buttons would need to be placed elsewhere which would probably result in an unintuitive control. Not the end of the end of the world, but I would really like to get a touchscreen control for the ease of use and install.

I started playing with the idea of mounting a screen similar to the current offering in a housing. I am still playing with it. I will have some time in the nearer future to work on it and see how it comes out.

If your LS is obd2, let me know. I'd like to get an LS swap firmware going.

I have the OBD2 hooked up and I am able to read the E78 ECM and the 6L90E transmission via HP Tuners. Dash is all apart, so it will be easy for me to connect everything multiple times. Let me know if you are still interested in a LS swap version.

I was thinking, since you are reading OBD2, there is a very real need to read Park/Neutral/Reverse, Gear Position (to light the dash lights), Tow/Haul and Tap/Shift from the newer CANBUS transmissions like the 6L80/90e, and the newer 8 and 10 speeds. Of course, this would require outputs to be useful, which I don't think the Multi-Gauge Clock has.

There is this and RPM Extreme sells a bunch. I was going to do my own OBD2 reader for the functions, but that takes time...

The only screen that I have found that fits properly is a single color graphic style display.
perhaps the majority would disagree, but I think the above would be more than useful?

a boost and egt gauge would be the simplest "cat's meow" i could imagine

-Sean

perhaps the majority would disagree, but I think the above would be more than useful?

a boost and egt gauge would be the simplest "cat's meow" i could imagine

-Sean
The boost/EGT graph is where I tend to leave the display. (Though before that was working correctly with external sensors, it wasn’t that useful.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom