Wanted Need some FJ Advice: West Coast buyer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Hoping to tap into the forum knowledge base as a first time FJ buyer. I've been on the hunt for a clean CA emissions ready FJ40/FJ55 to DD for about a year now and it's time to pull the trigger. Need some advice on whether this truck I found (on an opposite coast) would be a reasonable purchase. It's a 1970 truck, the rust and wear seem (relatively) minimal and it's got the original 1F engine and 3 speed. Interior has been modded but that's not a big deal to me. Body is really straight and rust free, according to the owner.

My goal was to purchase something in the 12-17k range that had been reasonably looked after. We are negotiating on price but are settling towards the higher end of that spectrum. Shipping/taxes and registration are another conversation :)

Current owner drives it regularly and it's had a front disk conversion by a reputable FJ shop in the Florida area. The radiator was replaced by a previous owner.

Concerns: There's some rust on the floor pan on the driver side. A previous owner welded some plates down in the cabin, but I'm concerned that this might need a more significant fix in the long run (photo attached from a video the owner shared). There is no rust on the frame.

There's also a small oil leak but it doesn't pool when parked. I'd probably have a shop take a look at all the plugs/valve covers if I went ahead with the sale.

Any advice would be appreciated...I'm really excited about this truck but would love to hear from the experts.
PS: If anyone in the San Diego area has a shop they recommend for FJ work I'd love to connect with the community down here. Thanks in advance!

IMG_0133.JPG

IMG_0134.JPG

IMG_0135.JPG

IMG_0137.JPG

IMG_0138.PNG

Single master cylinder, drum brakes, no power steering, and a 3 spd! This is a fun putt around town rig, but pricey without those modern upgrades and safety. Oh, every seller says its rust free!!! If there is some rust, most likely there is more..

Single master cylinder, drum brakes, no power steering, and a 3 spd! This is a fun putt around town rig, but pricey without those modern upgrades and safety. Oh, every seller says its rust free!!! If there is some rust, most likely there is more..

I'm very excited to crawl underneath the thing and take a look for myself! I have the same concerns about the master cylinder and the power steering. The front does have disks, but I'll reserve judgement till I drive it. Appreciate the feedback! I'm wondering how much wiggle room he'll have in person

Unfortunately, this pictures didn't show what you are asking here..
small oil leak could be whole axles or transmission re-build...
rust on the floor pan on the driver side without whole back rust also rare ..

Unfortunately, this pictures didn't show what you are asking here..
small oil leak could be whole axles or transmission re-build...
rust on the floor pan on the driver side without whole back rust also rare ..

let me see if I can screenshot something that shows the aforementioned leak

Best tip is to not let emotions take over. I would not buy any cruiser from Florida, too many lipstick rigs come out of there. Never seen a disk conversion on a single master setup? Should be a boosted dual circuit.

Best tip is to not let emotions take over. I would not buy any cruiser from Florida, too many lipstick rigs come out of there. Never seen a disk conversion on a single master setup? Should be a boosted dual circuit.

I fear that you're right. I have a family trip planned to Florida anyway so I'll still meet with the guy and check the truck out, but I'm getting the sense that for the money there might be smarter purchases closer to home.

I would look in arizona, idaho, new mexico, oregon, colorado or texas for one. good luck in your search.

You're in the perfect spot to find a rust free 40. We east-coasters have to suffer or import from where you are. There are better buys where you live.

Ya, but you could take that one to someone who knows what they are doing and it could pass smog. $80k miles is pretty low.

Or, negotiate with this guy. FJ40 prices seem to be soft right now.

There's also a green one near me (nor cal) that I'm trying to find and I'll post when I do find it.

Good advice from everyone above. I would crawl all over and under that truck before I got excited. And you are more likely to find one here in SOCAL with less rust. She is a looker and nobody is trying to burst your bubble, but nobody wants to see your drivers seat fall through the floor either. I dig that color.

Much like 2008 we are seeing an offload of toys hit the market right now. FJ40s are popping up every other day lately. I am not saying take advantage of someone, but there will be sellers who will undercut the price of others because they need to sell now. Some will hold on to there wishful 10k price for a rust bucket that needs to be towed home while others are realizing that it is quickly becoming a buyers market. Hopefully you can find someone that you can meet in the middle to achieve a win win agreement.

Good advice from everyone above. I would crawl all over and under that truck before I got excited. And you are more likely to find one here in SOCAL with less rust. She is a looker and nobody is trying to burst your bubble, but nobody wants to see your drivers seat fall through the floor either. I dig that color.

Much like 2008 we are seeing an offload of toys hit the market right now. FJ40s are popping up every other day lately. I am not saying take advantage of someone, but there will be sellers who will undercut the price of others because they need to sell now. Some will hold on to there wishful 10k price for a rust bucket that needs to be towed home while others are realizing that it is quickly becoming a buyers market. Hopefully you can find someone that you can meet in the middle to achieve a win win agreement.
very much so. I do love that color but doubt it alone would be worth the shipping. I'll keep an eye out for a deal popping up in the SD region, I'm hopeful some of the listed prices start to soften as well. Not trying to take advantage of anyone but keen to find a deal as the market shifts

SDwagonguy. Hunting old cars is knowledge obtained thru years of experience and it's easy to get spanked.

Don't be in a hurry, and yes, buy from Western states. Your price points may be a little on the weak side but since folks have lost jobs you may be in a good position. I don't buy any hobby car '76 and newer as smog laws in California will drive you drink, maybe worse.

I don't belong to Facebook but they have a marketplace section. You might check there once in a while.

SDwagonguy. Hunting old cars is knowledge obtained thru years of experience and it's easy to get spanked.

Don't be in a hurry, and yes, buy from Western states. Your price points may be a little on the weak side but since folks have lost jobs you may be in a good position. I don't buy any hobby car '76 and newer as smog laws in California will drive you drink, maybe worse.

I don't belong to Facebook but they have a marketplace section. You might check there once in a while.
I've had an eye out for FB marketplace, Craigslist, LetGo, Offerup and even Bringatrailer as a last resort. I am getting a sense for prices trending downwards given what's happening in the world and I think we're on track for some version of the '08 bubble burst. We'll see what happens but I'll jump on a west coast smog exempt truck when it pops up!

Have you seen this ad? I asked him to send me pics and these are what he sent. I think he is asking too much for what he has, but maybe go check it out and take cash.

IMG_4009.PNG
IMG_4002.PNG
IMG_4008.PNG
IMG_4007.PNG
IMG_4001.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom