Wanted Need some FJ Advice: West Coast buyer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Hoping to tap into the forum knowledge base as a first time FJ buyer. I've been on the hunt for a clean CA emissions ready FJ40/FJ55 to DD for about a year now and it's time to pull the trigger. Need some advice on whether this truck I found (on an opposite coast) would be a reasonable purchase. It's a 1970 truck, the rust and wear seem (relatively) minimal and it's got the original 1F engine and 3 speed. Interior has been modded but that's not a big deal to me. Body is really straight and rust free, according to the owner.

My goal was to purchase something in the 12-17k range that had been reasonably looked after. We are negotiating on price but are settling towards the higher end of that spectrum. Shipping/taxes and registration are another conversation :)

Current owner drives it regularly and it's had a front disk conversion by a reputable FJ shop in the Florida area. The radiator was replaced by a previous owner.

Concerns: There's some rust on the floor pan on the driver side. A previous owner welded some plates down in the cabin, but I'm concerned that this might need a more significant fix in the long run (photo attached from a video the owner shared). There is no rust on the frame.

There's also a small oil leak but it doesn't pool when parked. I'd probably have a shop take a look at all the plugs/valve covers if I went ahead with the sale.

Any advice would be appreciated...I'm really excited about this truck but would love to hear from the experts.
PS: If anyone in the San Diego area has a shop they recommend for FJ work I'd love to connect with the community down here. Thanks in advance!

IMG_0133.JPG

IMG_0134.JPG

IMG_0135.JPG

IMG_0137.JPG

IMG_0138.PNG

What does the rear sill look like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom