Need pics, ideas for a winch bumper - plate... not tube (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cut the ugly over-rider stuff off and you could fit a whole case on there. :)

I ordered the ARB through 4Wheel Parts. After a week of no update, I checked on the bumper... "Processing." I asked customer service what that means...

4WP: It's backordered with no ETA
Me: So... you ran my card, confirmed the order, but don't actually have the bumper and ARB's not planning on sending any more to the U.S.? Were you going to tell me?
4WP: Do you want to wait?

Unbelievable.

I started calling and emailing... probably contacted 10-12 off-road shops/online stores. Several showed they had one. But then, said "Oh, looks like we don't."

One shop - Fortec4x4 Jeep Customizing in Roswell, GA hunted down the ONE bumper currently in the country (according to ARB's database) and snagged it. He wouldn't run my card until he had a tracking number and was 100% certain the bumper was on its way. The bumper will be here next week. Andreas, the owner, could not be cooler. He went to all that effort... and he runs a Jeep shop - he knows he's likely not getting more business from me. That's just a solid dude. I'm going to drop in on some Jeep forums to spread the love.

I ordered the ARB through 4Wheel Parts. After a week of no update, I checked on the bumper... "Processing." I asked customer service what that means...

4WP: It's backordered with no ETA
Me: So... you ran my card, confirmed the order, but don't actually have the bumper and ARB's not planning on sending any more to the U.S.? Were you going to tell me?
4WP: Do you want to wait?

Unbelievable.

I started calling and emailing... probably contacted 10-12 off-road shops/online stores. Several showed they had one. But then, said "Oh, looks like we don't."

One shop - Fortec4x4 Jeep Customizing in Roswell, GA hunted down the ONE bumper currently in the country (according to ARB's database) and snagged it. He wouldn't run my card until he had a tracking number and was 100% certain the bumper was on its way. The bumper will be here next week. Andreas, the owner, could not be cooler. He went to all that effort... and he runs a Jeep shop - he knows he's likely not getting more business from me. That's just a solid dude. I'm going to drop in on some Jeep forums to spread the love.
SummitRacing was similar. It's drop shipped from ARB and they only charge when it ships and shipping is free. I think you get email and post card reminders and for when it ships.

Time to start texting my buddies "Hey, wanna swing by for a beer?" "So, while you're here, hold this right like that... okay... almost there... one more bolt... and... done. Let me get you that beer."

60219518020__440C8BA4-4F67-466A-80AB-943966186B1D.jpeg

The installation looks pretty straightforward. The biggest challenge will really be just holding in place 'til the first two bolts are in. 20 years ago, I would've absolutely done this solo - on my back, bumper on my shins, one hand on the bumper, wrench in the other hand, bolts on my chest. Hmm... that could work ;)

Last edited:
Time to start texting my buddies "Hey, wanna swing by for a beer?" "So, while you're hear, hold this right like that... okay... almost there... one more bolt... and... done. Let me get you that beer."

View attachment 2197664

The installation looks pretty straightforward. The biggest challenge will really be just holding in place 'til the first two bolts are in. 20 years ago, I would've absolutely done this solo - on my back, bumper on my shins, one hand on the bumper, wrench in the other hand, bolts on my chest. Hmm... that could work ;)
What is that old saying? Work smarter, not harder.

I like Chad's idea - that seems pretty easy. I got mine on with ease after lifting it up and holding it and balancing it on some blocks to keep it in place.

My recommendation would be if you want a winch in your pickup - put it in now. To install one down the road you'll be taking that bumper off again.

Time to start texting my buddies "Hey, wanna swing by for a beer?" "So, while you're hear, hold this right like that... okay... almost there... one more bolt... and... done. Let me get you that beer."

View attachment 2197664

I had my wife hold it, kept the beers to myself.

Definitely putting a winch in there. But, doubling the weight while trying to figure out why it won't slide on... uh uh.

A buddy stopped by to help - actually brought two beers. That's a good friend right there.

Right now, the bumper is just not going into place - like there's a hidden bolt/bracket in the way. Wondering if it's these...
IMG_6331.jpeg

... the little tabs at the bottom of the fender that the valence bolts to. I'll take another swing at it tomorrow.

Friend #2 stopped by. No beers, but he did bring a motorcycle jack. That was the perfect (!) tool for the job. Still have some wiring to do. The turn signals are sitting on the bench; but Patty doesn't look like Beaker any more. When I pull the bumper back off to put the winch in, I'll shoot the tabs on the bottom of the fender with satin black.

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 1.16.30 PM.png

I really like how this bumper works on this truck - the overhang is virtually nothing... and yet there's still a place to set a beer!
Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 1.18.38 PM.png

Last edited:
Looks great! What are the plans for the rear bed? Flat bed? Custom camper?

I like that. I like that a whole lot.

Yeah...that ARB on THAT truck is perfect. Progress on the tray?

Thanks!

Still in the planning phase on the bed - sketching things out. And, still keeping an eye out for a factory bed.

I love that truck more with each picture I see. Maybe I should have been more kind to my 87 when it was that strait.

Any idea which ARB Bumper would work with my 1991 factory solid axle import. I think it would have the same frame as the 79-85 then the same body as the 89-95's. ARB has 3414090 for the early solid axles, 3414070 for the 89-95 ifs and 3414020 for my model but it's not readily available here unlike the others.

I'm sure all 3 are almost the same minus a few details. Like needing some extra mounting holes drilled or some different washers. Just curious if anyone would have a better idea which would work. Couldn't get anywhere with ARB directly.

ARB USA or ARB OZ? I'd think that the fellers in OZ would know what the differences are where the fleers inthe US don't deal your application p/n and probably would have no idea how it the same or it differs.

Pappy beat me to my second suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom