Need Opinion on Seat Solutions with OEM Seats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My rig is bone stock. I am the second owner and plan to keep it stock except for an eventual OME 2" lift. My OEM upholstery is in great shape. No rips, except one small tear in the vinyl in the rear bench seat. So, I am a bit torn on what to do. I definitely need to re-stuff the front seats and I am definitely not paying for the $or replacement foam. I am sure I can solve that problem by shaping some foam myself, but what to do with the seat covers? I love the OEM look, but every time I slide out of the truck I am paranoid that I am going to tear them. I could stick with this plan until they eventually rip. On the other hand, I really like the CCOT vinyl replacement seat covers. I will definitely save the original seat covers if I go that route. Opinions?

I am a fan of keeping them stock. Most alternatives still look good and sounds like you’d save the originals which would be good. I actually have a complete Brown/tan vinyl set with matching door cards. Would make a good donor set for someone interested in that color and material.
Also, a good Upolstry shop should be able to beef up your foam. Not sure what the cost would be vs. the SOR.

Thanks. Off topic what do you think of the OME lift. I only do light wheeling but my suspension is original and sagging. Should I just throw some new leaf springs in there and call it a day?

I did the OME 2.5-3" lift as I broke a front spring. It made it a new truck! I also fitted the 33" 10.5 BFG's and never looked back. Best part besides improved ride, is the rubber overdrive. Being able to cruise at 75 made it worth the $$$. Plus the much needed clearance.

I did the OME 2.5-3" lift as I broke a front spring. It made it a new truck! I also fitted the 33" 10.5 BFG's and never looked back. Best part besides improved ride, is the rubber overdrive. Being able to cruise at 75 made it worth the $$$. Plus the much needed clearance.
I like the ride and it’s a good look

I just installed new Cruiser Corps seat covers. Look good/stock. I'm very pleased with how they turned out - especially at the mercy of my untrained hands!

IMG_1241.JPG

IMG_1242.JPG

The $$$OR seat foams are totally worth their outrageous price.

I reluctantly agree with this. They are outrageous but the foam is high quality and fits perfect. The money you would spend on an apholstery shop to build new foam would be more expensive.

Reclining Bucket Seat i cant remember paying that much for these seats, but i have two of them, they arnt very comfortable at first but i used the provided spacers to lift the front of the seat so i fall back into it LOL. i bought new because my driver side seat metal hinge broke off when i hit a gnarly bump, i had no back support. but these are a good option

I reluctantly agree with this. They are outrageous but the foam is high quality and fits perfect. The money you would spend on an apholstery shop to build new foam would be more expensive.

I agree with this statement. They use high density foam and is as good as OEM. After looking around myself this was a good price. Buy the pair and it is $165 each.
I can tell you that is a steal. I just purchased one for my F150 at $220. Buying one from SOR at 199 is not a good deal IMO.
I used the SOR seat foam and the Cruiser Corp covers and I am very happy on how they turned out. I also repainted my frames while they were apart. I cannot believe Toyota never painted the seat frames, my rear back was covered in surface rust.
If you are worried about the door panels not marching, Cruiser Corp sells extra fabric you can have a shop use to make them match (my plan).
I find the foam more stable, comfortable and just looks good. Plus it fit perfectly.

Now for the tear in the vinyl, any good shop can fix this. However, due to the age of the seat cover, wear and condition of the rods and fabric the hog rings use, you may find more repairs are needed.

Personally I would not do all vinyl in a 60, it just does not look right, but that is me.

On some older seats, the wires below have cut through the seat foam and/or the wires have stretched out a bit below the seat.

The fix I have used for many years is to remove the seat and flip it upside down. Then find some stiff, indoor-outdoor carpet, and slide squares of carpet (cut to the appropriate size with a razor knife) between the seat springs and the bottom of the foam. This pushes the foam higher in the seat and firms it up. You might even stack 2 pieces of carpet atop each other for more height.

I have used this trick on various Fords and Chevys, as well as 4Runners and my FJ62. The seat will look more plump afterward and you will sit higher. This is not magic, but it's nearly free, hidden from view, easy to do, will make a noticeable difference, and does not require removing the upholstery.

I’m looking into fixing my seats. The Cruiser Corps seat covers looks like a great option. For the foam (specifically Driver Seat), what are the best options? I’ve looked at SOR but haven’t pulled the trigger.

I too reluctantly ponied up for the SOR foam for my Drivers seat. They are speedy, but its been about 6 years with that new foam and its made a huge difference. They are a perfect fit to stock and make the cover fit better. If you want the stock look, it may be worth it

SOR seat foams rock. I have one pair with new foams, and one pair with rebuilt foams...I'll say this; done right, the rebuilt foams are not bad at all. the sor foams make it impossible to do wrong. a good upholstery guy can take seat back covers and repair your seat bottom covers. I love the OEM upholstery look... HTH

You guys sure love the stock seats, i did not.

I installed 9 way power leather seats in my cruiser that were free, but they are rough and do not match the interior.
I understand that's a deal breaker for some, but there has to be a seat in SOMETHING that might tickle your fancy. My next seats will be power heated Lexus seats, but that's for the new body.

If you have a welder, this is a pretty nice option not to mention cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom