Nav to Non-Nav Conversion Walkthrough (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finished my non-navigation conversion this weekend. The wiring was a bit of a pain, but mostly just because of trying to untangle the wires in the harness inside the small area under the dash.

I used the PAC RP4.2-TY11 to interface my Pioneer double-DIN headunit with the ML amplifier. That works perfectly, although you do lose the ability to use the fader controls, and the auto EQ and time alignment in the headunit (because only the front channels are sent to the ML amplifier). The PAC RP4.2 harness is quite bulky so I spent a lot of extra time depinning it and removing the wires and connectors not used in the GX.

The trim piece for the climate control is a discontinued part so I had to use an aftermarket trim piece from Aliexpress. Unfortunately, they only came in black, which doesn't match the OEM gray. The aftermarket piece doesn't fit very well and doesn't align with the buttons perfectly, so a few of the buttons rub against the trim and can get stuck. Also, the top part of the aftermarket trim doesn't align well with the Metra double-DIN trim from Crutchfield. There is a decent gap between the Metra piece and the climate control. I ended up using the aftermarket black trim for both the climate control and the double-DIN.

While I had the climate control unit out, I also changed the linear polarization film on the display to invert it. Looks a bit less dated.

I wired the reverse camera to the factory rearview camera at the "television" ECU on the right side of the passenger footwell.

View attachment 2748524
Can you explain further about the linear polarization film inversion process? I like the look of the inverted climate control display.

Can you explain further about the linear polarization film inversion process? I like the look of the inverted climate control display.
You need to dismantle the climate control unit. There is a clear film glued to the front of the LCD. Peel that off. You can pick up some new polarized film on Amazon (with an adhesive). You then plug the unit back into the car and hold the new film over the LCD. Rotate the film until you get the orientation correct to invert the display -- then cut the film to size and adhere it to the LCD. Reassemble.

Fundamentally the same as this video:

You need to dismantle the climate control unit. There is a clear film glued to the front of the LCD. Peel that off. You can pick up some new polarized film on Amazon (with an adhesive). You then plug the unit back into the car and hold the new film over the LCD. Rotate the film until you get the orientation correct to invert the display -- then cut the film to size and adhere it to the LCD. Reassemble.

Fundamentally the same as this video:

Thanks!

Any advice on the Android alibaba unit vs a 2-DIN head unit? Android tablet screen looks so much better/nicer, but I'm worried about it being glitchy...

Any advice on the Android alibaba unit vs a 2-DIN head unit? Android tablet screen looks so much better/nicer, but I'm worried about it being glitchy...

I had the Tesla-style 10" Android unit for a while and I hated it. I ended up ripping it out and doing the non-nav climate control conversion and went with a Pioneer double-DIN. Overall, it's a more expensive route, but I (and the wife) are much happier with it. More details here.

Thoughts on the T'eyes CC3 system (in-dash Android tablet to replace our crappy old nav screen) - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/thoughts-on-the-teyes-cc3-system-in-dash-android-tablet-to-replace-our-crappy-old-nav-screen.1274503/

gonna leave this here, this is the route I'm saving for. You can order it from Teyes Australia instead of dealing with alibaba, plus they have upgraded cameras for front/rear/dashcam/sides. It's probably as plug and play as you can get. Other articles I've read recommend getting the max ram/GB version for snappiness/responsiveness.

Thoughts on the T'eyes CC3 system (in-dash Android tablet to replace our crappy old nav screen) - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/thoughts-on-the-teyes-cc3-system-in-dash-android-tablet-to-replace-our-crappy-old-nav-screen.1274503/

gonna leave this here, this is the route I'm saving for. You can order it from Teyes Australia instead of dealing with alibaba, plus they have upgraded cameras for front/rear/dashcam/sides. It's probably as plug and play as you can get. Other articles I've read recommend getting the max ram/GB version for snappiness/responsiveness.
I ordered this and returned it. I don't get why the temperature control button has to be on the screen. I'm doing non-nav conversion with Joying 9" unit to keep climate controls and radio 100% independent.

Couple of questions/clarifications I couldn't surmise from thread and I hope someone can chime in on these......

Converting an 08 to Non Nav and Joying 9" 10.1.

1. To retain the ML amp with the Joying head unit, which of the 2 offered harness' will work? Pioneer or JBL
2.. With the proper harness is all functionality retained? Fader? Balance, etc. Or is a canbus needed. If so which one?
3. Back up camera - Any success with voltage adapters to retain stock camera and wiring? Something like this....

Metra Axxess AX-CAM6V 12-Volt to 6-Volt Camera Stepdown​

I'm doing the same conversion. Did you find answers to your questions?

I ordered this and returned it. I don't get why the temperature control button has to be on the screen. I'm doing non-nav conversion with Joying 9" unit to keep climate controls and radio 100% independent.

Lazy engineering. The OEM unit has a physical temp button, and for whatever reason they decided to swap that for a physical fan speed button. Like why not both? People just want all physical buttons and none of the touch screen BS that is currently rampant.

Maybe lawmakers will pass a law on vehicle touch screen standards given all the no cell phone use laws and we can move past this trend.

I had the Tesla-style 10" Android unit for a while and I hated it. I ended up ripping it out and doing the non-nav climate control conversion and went with a Pioneer double-DIN. Overall, it's a more expensive route, but I (and the wife) are much happier with it. More details here.
Wonder if the Joying unit is any better? I'm hoping to do non-nav with Joying, but can't decide if I should just go old school double-DIN. Some of the other oversized head units fit nicely I've seen, but they're $1,000+...

Wonder if the Joying unit is any better? I'm hoping to do non-nav with Joying, but can't decide if I should just go old school double-DIN. Some of the other oversized head units fit nicely I've seen, but they're $1,000+...
Why not just get a name brand head unit and the oem climate controls?

My Sony unit (AX-5500) + all the harnesses and a paint matched trim piece was a bit over $500. Then about $300 for climate controls. All in was under $1000 for the conversion, have car play and Android auto, have oem climate controls with buttons.

Lazy engineering. The OEM unit has a physical temp button, and for whatever reason they decided to swap that for a physical fan speed button. Like why not both? People just want all physical buttons and none of the touch screen BS that is currently rampant.

Maybe lawmakers will pass a law on vehicle touch screen standards given all the no cell phone use laws and we can move past this trend.
Yeah...it was a huge dealbreaker!
Why not just get a name brand head unit and the oem climate controls?

My Sony unit (AX-5500) + all the harnesses and a paint matched trim piece was a bit over $500. Then about $300 for climate controls. All in was under $1000 for the conversion, have car play and Android auto, have oem climate controls with buttons.
the double-DINs look pretty dated to me with the recessed bezel, the flush mount screens look so much more modern. The oversized name-brand units don’t fit flush, but are close - just expensive as sh!t.

Well, I’m pretty confused here.

I pulled my head unit today to clean up the wiring and change the cigarette port USB plug from a single to a double.

Everything seemed to go well. HVAC controls work. Head unit works.

However, I lost the green LED to the heated buttons and center diff lock. All the buttons still work. They light up orange when the seat heater is on.

Also, the temperature control panel doesn’t dim with the controls.

The bizarre thing is that I removed the taps for the illumination….and the HVAC still lights up. My understanding is this shouldn’t be possible.

Also, the green led in the ash try is dead, but I don’t know if that ever worked.

Any help is appreciated because I’m at a total loss.

Last edited:
Also, the temperature control panel doesn’t dim with the controls.

Did you unplug the dimmer control in this process? If so, make sure it's plugged back in.

The bizarre thing is that I removed the taps for the illumination….and the HVAC still lights up. My understanding is this shouldn’t be possible.
The center LCD of the HVAC lights up regardless of the dimmer. Without the dimmer/illumination tap it won't dim when the parking/headlights are on, and the other buttons around it won't light up at all.

What you're describing sounds like the dimmer control isn't plugged in or working properly. You might want to check that the DOME or ECU-B (Body ECU) fuse isn't blown.

okay, it’s not a wiring issue. Turns out I had a bad ground when using the multimeter today. So I mistakenly thought a harness was bad.

Pretty sure the problem was my t-tap into the ashtray harness + bad bulbs.

Re-did the t-tap, and the lights + dimming work. Two of the buttons on the HVAC don’t have backlight, but I figure that means the bulb for those 2 is out.

One of the seat heater backlight works now, but the center diff lock, other seat heater switch, and DAC have no backlight. Again, likely bulbs since the buttons work and everything else is backlit + dimmable.

Need to replace:
- green incandescent switch bulb x 3
- bulb for ashtray x 1
- bulb for glovebox x 1

Last edited:
Need to replace:
- green incandescent switch bulb x 3
- bulb for ashtray x 1
- bulb for glovebox x 1

You can find T3 LEDs for the switches on Amazon in 10 packs for under $15.

I've used these -- the fitment is a tad tight but they work great. You will get "hotspots" using LEDs with a few switches though since the LEDs are more directionally focused than the incandescent bulbs.

You can find T3 LEDs for the switches on Amazon in 10 packs for under $15.

I've used these -- the fitment is a tad tight but they work great. You will get "hotspots" using LEDs with a few switches though since the LEDs are more directionally focused than the incandescent bulbs.

Im gonna stick with the incandescent because the contrasting shades of green will drive me nuts. If there was an easy way to have all of the illumination swapped to LED, I’d do it in a heartbeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom