PX6 Android head unit - Wood trim Air Vent panel replacement/alternatives (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have any experience with these tesla style headunits? I have seen various reviews some good some bad. One of my biggest concerns is removing the trim paneling, my drivers side is already cracked from a previous mechanic. I see a few on ebay for $200, are there cheaper replacements any where to be found. Any opinions on the unit itself? Thanks

I purchased my Tesla style android head unit back in January of this year from AliExpress. It was advertised as wireless Apple play but that didn’t end up being the case. The seller said they had too many bugs so they would eventually have a software update. That was annoying but everything else has worked well.

You also have to use a new 12v back up camera. Oem uses 6v so it’s not compatible. I bought the more expensive version 64gb with 8gb ram. It does take some time to boot up 20-30 seconds so when it’s hot inside I can’t immediately turn on the AC.

When I installed the head unit, several of my vent tabs crumbled to pieces. My dash does have some cracks but I didn’t cause any further damage. Unfortunately, we don’t have many options to choose from but I am happy with my purchase for what it is. I hope it lasts a while.

Did you install it yourself and for the back up camera do you have to run new wiring or just swap out the camera? Just wondering if I need to hire the install done, I was looking at PX6 with fast boot but with CarPlay single and camera it’s over $700 before installation cost.

Yes. I installed it myself. It’s pretty much plug n play. Most, if not all of the plastic panels just need to be pulled apart. I do not remember there being any screws Except for the trunk.

You have to run a new video signal wire from the head unit to the back of the tailgate unfortunately. I ran the wire underneath the passenger door sills and was able to push the wire under the plastic trim in the trunk. With extra effort, I ran the wire through the rubber grommet where the factory oem wires pass through into the rear door. The camera wires need to be spliced into the factory reverse light for power and ground.

There are gx470/Prado rear back up camera options that have an intergrated back up camera that replaces the oem license plate light that fits well. HD Car Rear Backup Camera Reverse Parking For Lexus LX 470 LX470 J100 GX470 J120 702455801279 | eBay

If you have experience with installing radios you can do it no problem. If not, I am not sure how much labor will cost. These kits do not come with good instructions. If you do plan to buy it, do a little research on setup. Before you take out your factory unit, certain settings must be adjusted back to 0 and the volume set to “40.”

Thanks that is useful knowledge and I fear maybe more than I am qualified to do. How do you set the volume to 40 without blowing your speakers? Mine is a ML system, the fader and balance is set right in the middle, do I leave the DSP and surround on or off it has DVD so I think the sound processing is different from what I have seen online. Also if the trim panel is already cracked is it worth even risking to remove them again?

Here is a link to instructions that I found helpful
Installation & Use: Phoenix Android Radio Lexus GX 470

This link is what I used to figure out the back up camera wiring.
Lexus GX470 2003-2009 Rear View Camera Installation – Aftermarket

I guess it’ll be your call on removing the trim panel or not. The cost to replace those things on the used market is quite pricey! If you intend to replace them anyways it could be a consideration. I found far more value in having this setup than the risk of cracking my plastic panels. I did think something would break!

Thanks. The instructions make it seem straightforward. I’m sure once you get into it becomes more difficult. I have continue to think about but I’m really tempted; just hard to imagine putting 10% of cars value into radio and then have my son smash into a tree 6 months later 🤦🏽‍♂️

There aren’t any plug in play rear camera setups that I am aware of. I probably would have went that route too.

The rear view mirror back up camera option will still need a power lead to trigger the video on when in reverse is my best guess. I’m not familiar with the wiring in those setups. Maybe someone else can chime in.

As far as the trim goes. I just purchased some 3M vinyl wrap and wrapped the trim. Used black brushed aluminum as the color.

This is the only picture I have right now.

Not sure why the need to replace the OEM camera. I have a PX6 Android unit from Aliexpress also, and I connected it to the OEM backup camera without issue.

As for the trim, mine was also cracked and I just had to be very careful and pull from the top and bottom with even force to remove it. Two or three of the tabs were broken or cracked but I used Loctite plastic bonding glue to repair it. It's held up very well in the past 1.5 years and I've since removed the trim piece 5-6 times without further cracks/breaks.

Not sure why the need to replace the OEM camera. I have a PX6 Android unit from Aliexpress also, and I connected it to the OEM backup camera without issue

Which connector is it? I didn’t see where I could even use the OEM camera with my px6.

Which connector is it? I didn’t see where I could even use the OEM camera with my px6.

The "television camera ECU" is under the passenger side of the dash on the right side near the door harness. It's a very tight space, but I was able to disconnect the connectors and then tap into the video signal (+/-) there. The "reverse lamp" signal is also that connector so I also tapped there for the unit to auto-switch to the backup camera when in reverse.

Connector A, pin 3 (Red w/ Black stripe) = reverse signal
Connector A, pin 19 (White) = video ground (shielding)
Connector A, pin 20 (Black) = video positive/signal

1596044361453.png

The "television camera ECU" is under the passenger side of the dash on the right side near the door harness. It's a very tight space, but I was able to disconnect the connectors and then tap into the video signal (+/-) there. The "reverse lamp" signal is also that connector so I also tapped there for the unit to auto-switch to the backup camera when in reverse.

Connector A, pin 3 (Red w/ Black stripe) = reverse signal
Connector A, pin 19 (White) = video ground (shielding)
Connector A, pin 20 (Black) = video positive/signal

View attachment 2387488

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom