Thoughts on the T'eyes CC3 system (in-dash Android tablet to replace our crappy old nav screen) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to put this out there, because I know that the old nav screen is one of the most complained about parts of our GXs (me included!).
I saw some guys on the FB GXOR & on here with the T'eyes, & they seemed to like it, so I pulled the trigger & bought the highest spec (I think it had the most RAM) T'eyes CC3 from their vendor in Australia (it was ~$500 with 2 cameras). I have finally gotten it fully installed & used it enough to have some opinions about it now, & I wanted to make sure anybody considering this has as much info as possible. If you have it, please feel free to add your thoughts below.

Positives:
- The screen is nice! It's super high resolution & looks great!
- You can run apps (like Spotify, GAIA, etc.) natively in the system. So, even though it has Apple CarPlay/Android Auto, those aren't really necessary.
- You can add additional cameras! I have a second camera (in addition to the new backup cam, which is required) that I plan to install in the grill for when I'm off-roading. There's also a dash cam add-on kit, etc.
- It was relatively easy to install. There's a million different plugs coming out of the dash & out of the T'eyes unit that make it intimidating, but almost everything is "dummy proof" (the connectors are all different, so they really only go together one way).

Negatives:
- I think the biggest complaint about our factory system is that you have hard controls (buttons!) for the temp, but not the fan speed. Well, the T'eyes swaps things...you get hard controls for fan speed, but not temp! Now, if I had to choose just one set of hard controls, it would be fan, not temp (like the T'eyes)...but COME ON...can't we have both?! On the T'eyes you have to go into the HVAC widget (it's the little snowflake button on the right of the screen) in the screen to get to temp. Personally, this is a big let down...I was hoping to get all the hard controls I needed to run the HVAC. Worst of all, the hard buttons don't always work for me, which forces me to use the widget even for things there are buttons for!
- It seems to be glitchy...Pandora radio has crashed lots of times, & other times it will show it's playing a song but I have no music/sound. Then, the next time I start up, everything works perfectly!
- The T'eyes supports plugging in a SIM card, so it can have it's own data signal (that you pay for separately); but I use my phone as a hot spot. Since I've gotten the system I've found that I have to unlock my phone & go to the pairing screen every time I start my truck in order to connect. I've been told this is an iPhone issue & that Androids will auto connect...regardless, it's another layer of annoyance.

Overall, if I had to do it over again...I'd just keep the factory system. I used to plug my phone in & play music/run nav through my phone via the AUXIN plug. It was simple & easy & pretty "bulletproof". The T'eyes is fancy & it definitely has some strong points, but with the lack of full HVAC buttons & the glitches (that are sure to increase over time!) I don't think it's worth the money or the effort.

*The dash "frame" part with the buttons comes black, so I had my family body shop paint it to match our "bronzish" dash trim.
**Additionally, that dash part doesn't fit nearly as well as the factory parts. It's not terrible, but it's wider, so it pushes on the wood/vent trim parts & they don't sit flush anymore. It's not a big deal...just another small issue.

T'eyes.jpg

Last edited:
appreciate the review. I don’t see a lot of people posting the negatives on GXOR. I agree with your point about just keeping the factory nav. It sucks but at least it’s simple and probably won’t glitch out on you.

appreciate the review. I don’t see a lot of people posting the negatives on GXOR. I agree with your point about just keeping the factory nav. It sucks but at least it’s simple and probably won’t glitch out on you.
Yeah, I noticed that the peeps on FB only have positive things to say, & that's why I wanted to get this out there...I don't want everyone to think this is an amazing & perfect solution. It's fine/good...but if I could snap my fingers & get my money & time back, I would.

Yeah, I noticed that the peeps on FB only have positive things to say, & that's why I wanted to get this out there...I don't want everyone to think this is an amazing & perfect solution. It's fine/good...but if I could snap my fingers & get my money & time back, I would.
I like the FB group for browsing pics but I feel its lacking for more technical questions. It seems to be very vendor dominated (dobinsons etc) which is okay but there is so much more out there. I also notice that a lot of people who point out flaws in products or have bad experiences get roasted lol. I find myself searching mud and other forums when in search of more technical questions

This is a similar outlook I had on my Tesla unit. I enjoyed it for what it was, but it had enough flaws to level out with the factory unit. Ended up getting lucky and finding a reasonably priced set of non-nav hvac controls and that was the end of that.

I like the FB group for browsing pics but I feel its lacking for more technical questions. It seems to be very vendor dominated (dobinsons etc) which is okay but there is so much more out there. I also notice that a lot of people who point out flaws in products or have bad experiences get roasted lol. I find myself searching mud and other forums when in search of more technical questions
Sometimes the Facebook side is just a daily rolling ad of people posting crappy Amazon products and other junk in that group. The one nice thing I saw was the guy getting kick backs for rounding together members for grom group buys (he also trashes other products he knows nothing about) is relegated to the marketplace group now and not the main group.

Then in between there’s some nice technical posts and good info.

appreciate the info. been thinking about the Teyes as my next upgrade. I have a 2005 so I don't have AuxIN and my previous car had Android Auto so I wanted that. Started down the road to track down non-nav parts, but had some shipping issues, feel like this is more plug and play-ish than the non-nav conversion and then paying the same amount or more for a headunit. I'll still go with the Teyes, but appreciate the honesty about it. know there's no perfect solution.

Update: I also threw out a very brief version of this in one of the original T'eyes FB strings. I was told there is a firmware update that may solve some of my glitching problems...so, I'll do that & report back.
Either way, this is one of those things I don't think I should have to do...if I could put a name brand double DIN unit in (I may be back on the lookout to find some non-nav HVAC controls!), I don't think I'd have to be doing constant firmware updates to avoid issues, it would JUST WORK.

I just installed mine. I need some time with it to tell if it was worth it but my initial thoughts kinda mirror yours.

Almost went with this, but decided to go non-nav conversion instead. Probably trying the Joying 9" android 10.0 head unit. If not, I would find an oversized head unit from Pioneer, Kenwood, etc., that fits snugly against the radio bezel (GXOR FB group has come good examples) but they're pretty expensive. Last option is a double-DIN, but they are a bit smaller and don't look as good in the space. Already have the non-nav climate controls, just waiting on plug-and-play harness from Eldar, brackets, and ordering the aftermarket head unit (most likely Joying).

I have a non-nav 2004 and I will most likely be going the joying route as well once I can bring myself to pony up the cash for it, or rather, convince my wife that I need to buy a radio after we just had a baby 😅 I also need to first figure out why I have no audio coming from my speakers.

Thanks for the review. Hope their update fixes the software. That said, I'm all about the audio. I'm looking to deal with the wierdo Mark Levinson amp. It's decent enough quality, but WHO does 13 ohm speakers? I'd like to have a sitdown with whatever genius let that matchup off the drawing board. Maybe a pair of sensitive sealed box of 8's will skate.

Yeah, those large fan buttons - each one could have been split into two buttons to include fan up/down and Temp up/down and then they would have it all. I'm hoping they sort out the dashcam so that it automatically starts recording when powered up, I'll hold out for that since it is a software fix, I hope there is a good fix for the temp control as well, since I have to fiddle with mine when the climate control doors decide to seek/grind. I wonder if you can program the temp up and down into the steering controls to replace something you don't use as often in the short press/long press functionality?

Getting the sony for the rear cam and using the included cam as a front crawling camera sounds awesome, looking forward to seeing if that works out.

There is a good bit of dead space there as well, if they had moved their switch bank all the way up or down there might be enough space for OEM size switches and could really increase the value add of the product for people who want to switch all the things.

I have a non-nav 2004 and I will most likely be going the joying route as well once I can bring myself to pony up the cash for it, or rather, convince my wife that I need to buy a radio after we just had a baby 😅 I also need to first figure out why I have no audio coming from my speakers.
For what it's worth, I would NOT go the Joying route. If you have non-nav, (first, the rest of us are very envious!!!) you have the ability to get any double DIN radio, which will not have any of the issues of this "tablet style" receiver.
I've seen lots of non-nav guys on FB going with the Joying, & I just don't understand why no one wants the simplicity (& reliability) of a simple Sony, Kenwood, etc. Apple CarPlay/Android Auto enabled receiver. My advice is to just get something plug & play from Crutchfield, Best Buy, or wherever...on Crutchfield they're as cheap as $300!
But, to each his own!

For what it's worth, I would NOT go the Joying route. If you have non-nav, (first, the rest of us are very envious!!!) you have the ability to get any double DIN radio, which will not have any of the issues of this "tablet style" receiver.
I've seen lots of non-nav guys on FB going with the Joying, & I just don't understand why no one wants the simplicity (& reliability) of a simple Sony, Kenwood, etc. Apple CarPlay/Android Auto enabled receiver. My advice is to just get something plug & play from Crutchfield, Best Buy, or wherever...on Crutchfield they're as cheap as $300!
But, to each his own!
Quoted for truth, if you have non-Nav, a traditional HU is the way to go.

Not wanting to detract from the OP's thread... (or I can start a new thread)...
I have a '04 470 WITH Nav - rather old school as we know. I see replacement Nav systems from Grom and Phoenix Automotive.
They look interesting... both Android based. I am an Apple guy... will my iphone sync with these systems? Or should I look at other nav radio systems?
I haven't looked into it real deep yet. Are there other systems to look at? TIA

But, to each his own!
I think I would like the control/do whatever I want aspect of an Android based head unit. Android auto is fine, but I think I just don't want the limitations that come with a traditional head unit. Again this is what I THINK I want 😅 I've used Android auto and Android tablet style headunits before in other people's vehicles, and I think I just want to be able to have more apps/functions out it. That may change with more experience but 🤷🏼‍♂️

I have a '04 470 WITH Nav - rather old school as we know. I see replacement Nav systems from Grom and Phoenix Automotive.
They look interesting... both Android based. I am an Apple guy... will my iphone sync with these systems? Or should I look at other nav radio systems?
Have you looked at this? Beat Sonic MVA-81 - https://www.beatsonicusa.com/mva-81.html

Does anyone know if this unit has active 3 way crossover? I can't seem to get an answer on this anywhere.

Screen glare on those chinese head units is bad, blindingly bad.

Best bet (which is also trash) is the Grom unit.

If you do some searching on here you'll find lots of info on the Grom & Phoenix systems.
My understanding is the Grom has Apple CarPlay & Android Auto as it's main benefit.
The Phoenix is similar to this T'eyes system, & the advantage of these Android "tablets" is that they can download & run any app you want on their own (they do need data from your phone as a hotspot or from a SIM card). So, you don't need to "use your phone" to run music or whatever through your GX. I guess it depends what you mean by "sync"...these Android systems do have Apple CarPlay & Android Auto, but I don't use it because of the above capabilities, so I can't comment on how well it interfaces.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom