NATO tow hook ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NATO hooks with tow ball...

Dear all,

Read your posts related to NATO hook fitting and from where one can get hold of one.

I don't intend to use this forum for advertising but I stock them and can supply them inc. ship them (depends on your location too due to costs).

More info and photos of them can be found on WWW.SIWELMOTORS.COM. You only need to register and your account gets activated to gain full access and prices.

Thanks and keep up the forum posted with useful info.

put to work the first time...:D

2212967.jpg

I've got a pintle hook on my 93'. My dad saw the four bolt holes and said they install them at his work for the public utility trucks. He gave me this one. I didn't put it on to tow anything though. Instead, I put it on in the anticipation of the drunk hit and run drivers :bang: so common here in the greater Phoenix area!
It says CAP. 15 TONS on it!
24.JPG

I've got a pintle hook on my 93'. My dad saw the four bolt holes and said they install them at his work for the public utility trucks. He gave me this one. I didn't put it on to tow anything though. Instead, I put it on in the anticipation of the drunk hit and run drivers :bang: so common here in the greater Phoenix area!
It says CAP. 15 TONS on it!

I want!! :bounce2:

I know that someone just started another Pintle hitch thread but I thought this one had more info so I posted here.

There are quite a few of the NATO swivel type pintle hooks that the UK MOD uses on their Landrovers on ebay.co.uk and I was about to bid on one but decided to do a bit more research on the US options first.

I thought this one made by Holland looked pretty good. I like the ball/pintle combinations but don't like the looks of one with the ball bolted on. I've found prices from about $85 to $120 but haven't tried to order one yet.

I was a bit concerned about clearance when you drop the tailgate but I haven't heard anyone complain about that being an issue. Is it?
Holland pintle hitch.jpg

I've got a 8-ton version on our 80. Where it sits, the top of it just clears underneath the extended plane of the top of the bumper. When you drop the tail gate, the license plate recess is over the area that is over the top of the hitch, so if there was a pintle that stuck up a little, it would be accommodated by that recess.

I've got a 8-ton version on our 80. Where it sits, the top of it just clears underneath the extended plane of the top of the bumper. When you drop the tail gate, the license plate recess is over the area that is over the top of the hitch, so if there was a pintle that stuck up a little, it would be accommodated by that recess.

Thanks. I thought that was the case but it's good to have first-hand knowledge.

I think I'm going to order one of these and use M12 threaded eye bolts for the two bottom bolts for chain anchor points. I found some with 100mm shanks (~4") which should allow me to get a lock washer and nut on the back side.

I have tailgate clearance, even with the hook open.

IIRC, with my 8 tons or something like that hook directly on the crossmember it was fitting OK with the tailgate down but only if the hook was closed and I think it was really close. Not sure. Posted about it someplace.
The dimensions of these things probably vary a lot.

Brett, the 2 holes with captive nuts are M12 X 1.25 pitch. They need to be 70mm long. The 2 bottom holes can be any M12 bolts as they do not have captive nuts.

Apologies but I am not in the same country as my 80. Can anyone verify that the top two holes are threaded and are M12? I would also like to know that the bottom two holes are not threaded and that an M12 bolt will go through (or if not, what will). I was going to order some high grade eyebolts for the bottom and normal bolts for the top but need to make sure that I'm ordering the correct size.

Thanks!

The top 2 bolts are a fine thread and have captive/wedled-in nuts behind the holes. I don't recall the size. The bottom 2 holes are not threaded and require a nut, etc behind them. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I pitched my documentation on that after installation a couple of months ago. Anyone else?

Don't worry it will not bust . The rear bumper is the same as a weight carrying hitch. as for the load the truck can carry.

The rear crossmember is welded to the frame and will not just come off.. Mine has a small bend in it from being rear ended and I can tell you it is tough .The body shop used a 5 ton jack to try to bend it back and it does not move.
Use you pintel hitch and not worry about it.
Of course the USA owners manual says not too,, every thing in the USA is dummied down.

If this guy can pull a car with his motor cycle you can pull a trailer with your bumper any day. 80's all over the world do it every day.
24bogux.jpg

Maybe is a 80 motorcycle :hillbilly::flipoff2:! Cool picture!
Third world always are rock when is about adapting and surviving :clap:!!

:cheers:

Yeah, but doesn't that look like a big pool of oil forming underneath the motorcycle?
:crybaby:

I'm a bit late on this thread. =) Our 80 also has a Pintle. Will try to scan and upload the portions of the owner's manual concerning this.

Almost all rigs have a pintle hook here. Land Cruiser (even new models), Pajero/Montero, Nissan Patrol, etc. Towing seems to be a pastime around here with all the rustbuckets running around and breaking down on local roads.

I'm a bit late on this thread. =) Our 80 also has a Pintle. Will try to scan and upload the portions of the owner's manual concerning this.

Almost all rigs have a pintle hook here. Land Cruiser (even new models), Pajero/Montero, Nissan Patrol, etc. Towing seems to be a pastime around here with all the rustbuckets running around and breaking down on local roads.

Thanks OTEP, that'll go a long way in giving some "hard" data in terms of max allowable tow/tongue weight of the pintle.

I won't be home till tomorrow (stuck here at the hospital). But to give you a rough idea, the pintle hook on a Pajero is rated to tow 750kg for an unbraked trailer. Sorry that's all I remember at the moment. :)

750kg=1653.5lbs.

I ordered a Pintle hook with ball combo from the J.C. Whitney catalog the last time I was Stateside. Had a very high rating but I'm pretty sure the rating for the vehicle would take precedence over the rating of the pintle hook unit itself. =)

FWIW, I installed this Holland combo pintle a couple of months ago and have since then rented a 6x12 U Haul tandem axle trailer. The specs on the trailer from the U Haul site says it weighs a bit over 1900 lbs empty. I've made 3 trips with one of these. Each trip was 150+ miles each way and each time the trailer was loaded with furniture. I'm guessing there was at least 1000 lbs each time and on one trip the contents incuded a very heavy pool table and other furniture which must have totaled well over 1000 lbs.

Now the trailer does have surge brakes which obviously helps but I had no trouble with any of the trips and never felt like the load was too much for the 80. Also, having a tandem axle helps with the tongue weight but I always front loaded the trailer so I'm sure I had at least 400 or more pounds on the tongue. As far as the rear crossmember and the pintle hitch, there's no sign that they've ever been used. Obviously your results my differ from mine.
Hitch 001.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom