My wrecked modified LX450 is going to be auctioned near Seattle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interested in an extremely well equipped low miles Series 80 for repair or parts?

Actually I am hoping somebody will fix it and sell it back to my son who is desperate for a replacement.

He wrecked my truck over the New Years holiday and the insurance company has totaled it out. Here is the link to the impound yard in Graham WA:

Copart USA - Online Live Vehicle Auctions - Bid & Win

As of 03/07/17 they haven't received the title. Once they do, it will be listed for a future auction.
Copart phone: 253-847-8300 ext 4
Lot # 20827837

Wreck pictures taken by my son:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

The truck slid off I-90 at less than 60 mph and careened off a steel cable median barrier. Besides the visible damage, the frame is probably bent (the Slee bumper is pushed sideways). The truck has NOT been on a lift to inspect for hidden damage underneath. The truck sustained additional damage during towing - the driving lights and winch fairlead got nailed.

I have the extra items described at the end of this document as "Not installed" but they would be available from me at extra cost! Copart does not have those items.

I can email anyone the complete service history and the insurance damage estimate if you ask me by PM. There are some maintenance items due, like front axle service and front brakes, that are listed on that document.

Thanks for looking.

John Davies
Spokane WA

Here is a complete vehicle description from BEFORE the wreck:

1996 Lexus LX-450
VIN: JT6HJ88J8T0150445
History and Modifications
EDITED FOR ONLINE

rev 03/07/17

Registered owner:
John Davies
SNIP

Truck was purchased used on 04/05/03 with 83,350 miles, with three previous owners (Phoenix, AZ , Sandy, UT, and Duvall, WA). The truck was bone stock and did not appear to have been off pavement. There were no indications of rust or corrosion. Current mileage is 161,694.

Beige Metallic paint with silver trim, factory front and rear lockers and locking center differential (all work correctly), 4.10 axle ratio (stock gears), twin rear fold and tumble seats, beige leather, factory Lexus stereo with remote 6 disc changer and two tray type cassettes (works great), Weather Tech floor mats front and rear, two factory remotes, one spare small key. Original cell phone system is removed.

This truck is set up for expedition use rather than hard core wheeling. It will go just about anywhere that it will fit. The engine runs well and uses zero oil between changes. All lubes are synthetic and were changed anally. Only Toyota Red coolant has been used. It is no show vehicle, but it is a nice looking rig with very good paint and absolutely minimal chassis rust. It has normally been garaged.

Clear title, no liens.

Modifications: This truck has been an ongoing thirteen year project and there has been over $12,000 invested in modifications alone (not counting servicing and repairs).

OEM analog cell phone system removed, steering wheel switches remain intact
OEM roof rack removed and holes plugged
OEM bumpers and running boards removed
Slee Off Road equipment:
1. Front winch bumper, large old style, 3/16” high tensile steel
2. Rear bumper with single swing out tire carrier (right side), CB antenna bracket and high lift jack mount. (Jack not included).
3. Rock sliders, 3/16” high tensile steel
4. Transfer case skid plate
5. Bolt-on 2 inch receiver (no published tow rating, but very strong)

Old Man Emu HD suspension, 3 inch lift:
1. 850 front springs
2. 863 rear springs
3. N73 and N74 shocks
4. SD24 steering damper
5. CA77NB Caster correction bushings
6. Slee Off Road 1.5” sway bar drop brackets
7. Slee Off Road rear sway bar drop brackets

Engine and drive train:
1. Land Tank performance intake manifold housing (from iH8Mud.com member) with late model Toyota MAF sensor
2. EMS Powered performance intake tube (polished stainless steel).
3. EMS Powered 2.5 inch mandrel bent header-back exhaust with single cat. Solid hangers were replaced with rubber isolation mounts and the flex joints were replaced with sleeves due to cracking and failure. Added a Moroso Spiral Flow stainless resonator behind rear axle.
4. EMS Powered O2 sensor rock guard (front sensor only)
5. Safari Snorkle with standard intake scoop. This drops inlet air temps by up to 40 degrees F.
6. Distributor: installed upper and lower vent tubes for splash protection
7. Shorter air conditioning receiver drier installed, with rock guard.
8. Extended breathers for front and rear differentials, with inline filters near brake booster.
9. inline filter in PS return hose (25K mile service interval).

Wheels tires and brakes
1. OEM Land Cruiser silver painted wheels, refinished, nice condition, no corrosion
2. Cooper Discoverer AT/3 LT285R17E tires including spare, 33 inches overall diameter, approximately 10,000 miles since new.
3. Speedometer correction gear for 33 inch tires (reading is very accurate)
4. Wheel locks, including spare tire
5. Stainless extended brake hoses, remanufactured calipers, 100 Series front pads (larger area), rebuilt parking brakes.
6. Land Cruiser rubber mud flaps front and rear

Body and Interior:
1. Steel Milford Cargo Barrier with axe brackets – very stout divider, no longer available in the USA. Bungee your gear to the back side of the mesh. Crash rated! Rollover protection! Easy five minute removal.
2. Rear jump seats removed.
3. Custom tie downs along passenger floor.
4. Dry fire extinguisher mounted on bracket near rear hatch
5. New door and hatch seals. New front window runs.
6. New rear hatch struts and hood struts.
7. Land Rover Discovery cup holder, on right side of center console.
8. RAM floor mounted laptop/ iPad pedestal type mount with 1 inch swivel at top (cradles NOT included)
9. Garmin Street Pilot style (old) gps mount, attached to dash ledge with adhesive tape. Can use adapter for late model Garmin Nuvi or similar gps. Easily removed.

Lighting:
1. IPF M121 Magic Light Gold 55 watt fog lights, wired to ignition circuit. Can be used as daytime running lights.
2. LightForce 170 100 watt offroad lights with one clear spot and one clear fog lens cover (spare covers included), wired to the high beams. Adjustable focus, indestructible lexan construction.
3. Hella 55 watt back up light, mounted on tire carrier, with manual switch on dash
4. Halogen back-up light bulbs in OEM rear lights
5. Silver Star super white headlight bulbs
6. Slee Offroad H4 Headlight Harness (with relays) increases voltage (for really bright lights)
7. LED brake/ parking bulbs.

Electrical:
1. Auxiliary Cirkit Boss fuse panel (eight circuits) mounted on the firewall near the brake booster, fed by a BlueSeas MaxiFuse block and 80 amp fuse at the battery box. This supplies power through RV type self-resetting relays to the auxiliary lights and cabin power outlets.
2. Two Aux 12 volt power sockets (switched power) in custom dash panel, plus the OEM socket.
3. Two Aux 12 volt sockets in the lower part of the center console, driver side (always on) with small custom parcel shelf
4. Dedicated 20 amp “always on” 12 volt heavy duty socket in right rear side trim (behind wheel well) for running a fridge. 8 AWG wires prevent any voltage drop.
5. Toyota Center Differential Lock switch (plus “Pin 7 Mod” to give full manual control in High or Low Range)
6. 7 Pin round RV type trailer socket with integrated 4 pin connector, plastic, protected by circuit breaker. Socket is tucked up under the body for protection. NOTE: Two 000 gage wires for trailer battery charge circuit are pre-routed from the battery area to the rear socket, but are NOT connected at either end.
7. Brake controller: Jordan Ultima 2020, mechanically attached to brake pedal for superb control on rough surfaces. No longer available.
8. Titan TW12 electric winch, 92 feet of 3/8 inch synthetic rope, Viking abrasion cover, Slee offset alloy fairlead, Viking Safety Thimble (instead of steel hook). Relay box is engine bay mounted with both remote and cable type controllers. Blue Seas On/ Off battery switch isolates winch power when not in use. This is the best of the Chinese winches, rather well put together. Never used in a real recovery situation. NO LOOSE RECOVERY GEAR IS INCLUDED.
9. Land Cruiser manual throttle control cable, for raised idle rpm for winch operation or warmup.
10. Battery and alternator cables upgraded to heavy gauge cables, and lengthened for battery upgrade to Group 35 (front posts). A 100 amp MaxiFuse replaces the fusible link. (2 spares included.)

Maintenance and Repairs – major items only (Miles/ Month/Year). Note that when there is a periodic job or component change (flushing brakes for example) I have listed only the most recent date – refer to the extensive maintenance log and receipts for complete history of all routine servicing and repairs, and parts used:

1. 85K/ 05/03 Replaced “Pesky Heater Hose” under intake manifold
2. 86K 06/03 Air conditioning system inspected and serviced. New shorter receiver drier and R-134A.
3. 87K 07/03 Replaced head gasket as preventative maintenance and due to gray sludge in coolant. Head was inspected and resurfaced, valves were ground and adjusted, new valve guide seals installed. Bead blasted valve cover. Flow tested fuel injectors. Replaced all (small) vacuum and most coolant hoses in engine compartment.
4. 98K 08/04 Replaced throttle cable
5. 102K 12/04 Installed new rear brake rotors, pads and all parking brake parts. Installed new front rotors and 100 Series pads. Flushed brake system.
6. 105K 04/05 Installed new OEM fan clutch and fan shroud. Checked valve clearances. Installed new NGK spark plugs.
7. 107K 05/05 Replaced u-joints in front and rear drive shafts.
8. 110K 07/05 Flushed transmission.
9. 110K 07/05 Complete front axle service, including new knuckle bearings. Flushed axle three times to remove all traces of moly grease from center part. Serviced both axles and transfer case with Royal Purple 75W90 synthetic gear oil.
10. 112K 10/05 Replaced gas cap due to failed emission leak test.
11. 115K 03/06 Cleaned Idle Control Valve. Installed new power antenna mast assembly with cable. Replaced both O2 sensors due to trouble code.
12. 118K 06/06 Replaced water pump and idler pulleys. Replaced crank seal due to seep. Installed new OEM smooth belts (toothed belts are noisy).
13. 125K 02/07 Ignition tune-up – new cap, rotor OEM wires and spark plugs. Cleaned throttle body.
14. 127K 06/07 Cleaned and lubricated cruise control actuator.
15. 128K 07/07 Replaced EGR Switching Valve, installed high temperature wrap at wire loom.
16. 130K 09/08 Front end alignment.
17. 131K 09/08 Removed transmission pan and replaced filter and fluid.
18. 136K 06/10 Replaced crank seal again, oil pump cover gasket, and distributor oil seal (chasing small seep). Set timing at 8 degrees BTDC (stock is 3 deg BTDC)
19. 138K 07/10 Replaced alternator with an OEM reman unit. Replaced all belts.
20. 138K 07/10 Cleaned evaporator and heater core with FrigiClean. Serviced A/C
21. 142K 03/11 Rebuilt front brake system – new master cylinder, reman calipers; stainless brake hoses; new rear rotors, pads and shoes; no work done to front brakes other than new calipers.
22. 142K 03/11 Rebuilt rear outer axles – new bearings and seals, Red Line CV2 grease.
23. 145K 02/12 Repaired locking differentials – removed and inspected rear locker, finally found dirty connection at computer. Works well.
24. 145K 03/12 Replaced door and hatch seals, and window runs and seals (front windows only).
25. 145K 03/12 Rebuilt alternator and battery cables, lengthened for future installation of a Group 35 battery.
26. 153K 07/13 Installed new Toyota belts – due to one alternator belt failure.
27. 154K 09/18 Front rotors turned due to pulsing.
28. 156K 01/14 Repaired rear hatch latch mechanism (failed linkage bushing). Spare included in kit.
29. Flushed cooling system, serviced. Flushed brake system.
30. 158K 04/14 Exhaust system repaired – bad flex couplings removed.
31. 160K 03/16 Installed new radiator and large hoses. Installed 7 new power steering hoses. Installed 2 transmission cooler hoses. Installed an inline filter in PS return hose.
32. 160K 03/16 Installed AGM battery (775 CCA, Group 34, front terminals), 48 month full replacement warranty.
33. 160K 04/16 Repaired trailer wiring (internal corrosion). Installed new converter and 7-way connector.

Gear – Not installed at time of wreck:

Custom Baltic Birch “gear storage” box replaces right rear seats. Lid is hinged and carpeted for appearance and dog traction. 400 watt 120 volt inverter mounted on the front wall of the plywood storage box. There is a space on the left for a RubberMaid or similar bin to be strapped down to the floor. Custom tie downs along floor.

Rear jump seats.

Parts and accessories NOT in truck

1996 LX450 factory Service Manual and Wiring Diagrams (books)
Chilton Service Manual
54 mm hub socket
Toyota special tool 09509-25011 rear axle nut adjuster.
Any left over Toyota specific fluids, filters, parts and supplies.
Factory tools in tool roll.

The big question is: are you being investigated for the disappearance of your son?

And sorry for your loss! Of the truck....

Why don't you buy it back from the insurance company? Am I missing something?

That sucks! I have learned in my short years that vehicles come and go, some are missed more than others. Glad your son is ok. I am suprised the insurance company did not offer a buyback price. A friend of mine inherited his dads jeep. He drove it four years , wrecked it, got a check for 4K and then bought the jeep back for 500 and drove it for another 4 years. I am new to owning a 80, but that is a gold mine of parts to us here. Some one will snap it up, if they do I am looking for a tan fuse cover;)

The big question is: are you being investigated for the disappearance of your son?

I am not mad at him at all - it was a nasty situation that claimed two other vehicles in separate slide-offs, and they were much more heavily damaged. I am thankful that he was completely unhurt. He is devastated by the loss of the truck and wants to acquire a similar replacement. Unfortunately neither he nor I are in a position to rebuild the wrecked one, if that is even possible, or salvage the good parts.

John Davies
Spokane WA

I was with you until I saw that you used Land Rover parts. Yech. :flipoff2:

But on a serious note, I'm glad your son is fine and I hope you get back in a Cruiser asap!

Dang...if I had the space, I'd swoop! Glad your son is OK. If anyone is considering buying and parting who doesn't need/want the rear bumper shoot me a PM!

Did they offer you to buy it back? could you still buy it back? I'd gladly buy it from you

Dang, who's bright idea was it to create a barrier made from CABLES? Good way for someone to get decapitated and it virtually assures major damage to any vehicle striking it.

Sheeesssh!

Dang, who's bright idea was it to create a barrier made from CABLES? Good way for someone to get decapitated and it virtually assures major damage to any vehicle striking it.

Sheeesssh!
Actually the cable barriers seem to work awesome. They're not low or high enough to decapitate drivers, they're pretty thick cable and they're set up like arrestor cables on aircraft carriers where they give up length as they take the impact. Unlike jersey/k barriers which cause a near instantaneous deceleration which is what causes the most most trauma to the body. As far as vehicle damage I have no idea how it compares, but I know that since they put these up along our interstate barrier impact related fatalities cross over fatalities have decreased.

Edit: before someone goes off about the aircraft carrier arrestor cables remark...I know they're not set up physically the same, it's the idea that they give up length to absorb the energy that I was going for.

Last edited:

Sheeesssh!
The idea is to stop a vehicle from spinning headlong into oncoming traffic and also decelerate the car as gently as possible, and they are effective. You are correct though, I do not want to contemplate what it would do to a motorcyclist.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/publications/fulltext/design/Policy/CableBarriers.pdf

John Davies
Spokane WA

Last edited:
Well crap on a stick, John. That sucks. I'll watch for it to come up. That's a great setup and the pictures made it look not as bad. I get over that way once in a while so maybe I'll think of an excuse like finding that elusive 924 in a wrecking yard in Seattle!

Wow, I'll be keeping an eye on it! Thanks for the heads up on the auction.

Also, sorry about your loss. Glad your son was unharmed.

Actually the cable barriers seem to work awesome. They're not low or high enough to decapitate drivers, they're pretty thick cable and they're set up like arrestor cables on aircraft carriers where they give up length as they take the impact. Unlike jersey/k barriers which cause a near instantaneous deceleration which is what causes the most most trauma to the body. As far as vehicle damage I have no idea how it compares, but I know that since they put these up along our interstate barrier impact related fatalities cross over fatalities have decreased.

Edit: before someone goes off about the aircraft carrier arrestor cables remark...I know they're not set up physically the same, it's the idea that they give up length to absorb the energy that I was going for.

Depends on who's study you choose.

Saving Lives and Reducing Injuries from Cross- Median Crashes

"Researchers at MATC analyzed more than 6,000 cable barrier crashes from 12 different states in order to determine the causes of cable median barrier containment failures. It was found that vehicles pass under, over, or through a cable barrier in approximately 10 percent of all cable barrier crashes, and experience rollover in approximately 7 percent of cable barrier crashes."

http://www.sbes.vt.edu/gabler/publications/TRB-11-3958-Motorcycle-Barriers.pdf

Assessment of Injury Rates Associated with Road Barrier Collision - ScienceDirect

Can you buy it back from insurance? if you can i would do that and then pass it on here. That way it stays in the community

Bidding started on it today. As I said before, if you want the full service history let me know by PM and give me your email address. There is a ton of good equipment on this truck. I owned this rig for 13 years and did most of the work myself - i know it inside and out so fire away with any questions.

Sale ends Tuesday at noon PDT.

Direct link: Copart USA - Online Live Vehicle Auctions - Bid & Win

John Davies
Spokane WA

Last edited:
I see it sold. I checked at Noon and bidding was up to ~$3,500 if memory serves. Anybody know what it sold for? Anybody here pick it up? Looked like a great deal to pick up a lot of goodies at once.

It is probably on its way to Russia. Seriously, co-part sells a good percentage of their Cruisers to Russia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom