Builds My first FZJ80 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Testing out the new tires today. Perfect!
20210314_131633.jpg
20210314_131603.jpg

Ripped off a fender flare on my last upstate trip, so i decided to take the others off as well. They were sort of broken anyway. I got patches and for a little extra strength, i put some JB weld around them to ensure they'll hold. Then I filled the holes with bondo, followed by glazing putty. Im going to be painting, but one panel at a time...paint is expensive!

20210511_120315.jpg

20210516_122505.jpg

20210516_185506.jpg

The holes that held the metal brackets on the rear doors are going to be difficult, but for the remaining holes I will be able to remove the door panel to get to them. That will also give me the opportunity to replace/fix anything while I am in there.
As for the fenders, both are in bad shape with one of them rotted pretty good. So I will be ordering reproduction ones that I found online. At almost 600 each they are pricey but worth it, and they dont come with holes that i need to fill.

Also, patiently waiting for my 4x4 Labs front and rear bumpers, White Knuckle sliders, and Superior hyper flex radius arms. :)

The holes that held the metal brackets on the rear doors are going to be difficult, but for the remaining holes I will be able to remove the door panel to get to them. That will also give me the opportunity to replace/fix anything while I am in there.
As for the fenders, both are in bad shape with one of them rotted pretty good. So I will be ordering reproduction ones that I found online. At almost 600 each they are pricey but worth it, and they dont come with holes that i need to fill.

Also, patiently waiting for my 4x4 Labs front and rear bumpers, White Knuckle sliders, and Superior hyper flex radius arms. :)

You mind sharing the fenders that you found? I have a feeling that source might be handy for me at some point.

After waiting awhile, my White Knuckle Off Road sliders came in. Install was pretty straight forward. Only snapped one bolt behind the cat, but everything else went smooth. These are beefy and appear very well built. Cant wait to break em in on the rocks!
20210527_193721.jpg

Passenger side front door done.
With the rear door there, i am taking a different approach and using JB Weld Metal Stik. It is a putty which hardens and is sandable. Squish it around till it activates, then push it into the hole. Going to sand, and cover with bondo.
20210601_134957.jpg

Whole side, minus the front fenders done. I ended up buying 2 new fenders, will just need the bolts and clips for the new ones, plus some bolts for the lower front grille (metal section). Has anyone ordered them directly through Toyota?
Also started prepping the back and started on the drivers side.
20210616_194409.jpg
20210616_194604.jpg
20210616_194420.jpg

Got the whole drivers side done. Also got the fenders in, I just need to paint them and get them ready to mount back on.
The hyperflex arms came in and put them right inView attachment 2716997
Baller. Are they the stock arms? (basically double the arm setup I have) Or are they caster correcting arms? Either way, let me know how it drives and what you think of it.

Baller. Are they the stock arms? (basically double the arm setup I have) Or are they caster correcting arms? Either way, let me know how it drives and what you think of it.
They are much better than stock. Way beefier, heavy etc. They do correct castor as well. They are a step up from these:

It was either this or three link it, but this is as good as you can get without 3 linking. A friend of mine runs the Super Flex arms. We don't run sway bars so it leans in the turns, other than that I can't speak on road manners with the sway bars.
Screenshot_20210629-134149_Facebook.jpg

Got the whole drivers side done. Also got the fenders in, I just need to paint them and get them ready to mount back on.
The hyperflex arms came in and put them right inView attachment 2716997

Why the Hyper Flex over the Super Flex? I am weighing different options as far as radius arms go for my 80. Thinking 3 link, Superior Engineering or Delta VS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom