Builds My '78 FJ40 "44" (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Still waiting for cooler weather... in the meantime, 44’s enjoying the garage.

Sold my oem wheels, MasterCraft tires, hubcaps and both heaters.

Still disposing parts I don’t plan to reuse, so I can drop my storage room.

Man have I been missing out! Been running through some of my favorite threads as I’ve been away from mud for a bit and there was so much good stuff to catch up on. The screen name change is appropriate, and your literal month of solicitude was amazing. Love the pics man... the big skies, the puffy cloud, the luring two-tracks... your thread remains one of my favorites Danny. Still subscribed for sure.

When’s the next trip?

Man have I been missing out! Been running through some of my favorite threads as I’ve been away from mud for a bit and there was so much good stuff to catch up on. The screen name change is appropriate, and your literal month of solicitude was amazing. Love the pics man... the big skies, the puffy cloud, the luring two-tracks... your thread remains one of my favorites Danny. Still subscribed for sure.

When’s the next trip?

Thanks Joel!!

You’ve been missed!!

No trips for a while... unless I can slip out unnoticed... Dianna had rotator cuff surgery (right shoulder and she’s right handed)... I’m the house keeper, cook, barista and bottle washer, until she recovers... she’s doing well... but, starts PT in a week and it’s gonna be a slow go.

So, I’m home-bound and watching a lot of Aussie outback truckers, BC heavy recoveries & British/Welsh crime shows... along with watching Longmire again.

I walk my dogs at 4am, while the sidewalks won’t cook their feet... it’s finally cooling down into the
High 90s here, in the daytime, so one day it will be tolerable again... but, you know nothing about hot weather. ;)

:cheers:

Dianna still has two more months of physical therapy until she can rice again.

She’s doing very well, but is VERY restricted in what she can do... her bicep tendon head was shredded very badly, so the surgeon “released” the tendon.

That’s the source of much of her pain.

Her sister came over to spend this past weekend with her, so I threw the boys into 44 and drove out to the Refuge for 2 nights.

The first night was great, just cold.

Sunday morning was sunny and cool, after the sun came up. So, we headed out, for a 6 hour hike... over hill and dell, near where Mark and I hiked a couple of years ago.

We saw a lot of new drainages and rock formations, but all the same, in appearance, as those I’ve shared before.

So, I didn’t bother taking pictures.

By the time we returned to 44, the wind was blowing ~30mph and dirt was blowing.

The wind and dirt was forecast, so I had put everything back into 44 before we left on our hike.

We went home and now I have dirt everywhere again... when my eyes clear, I’ll clean it all up.

IH8BLOWINGDIRT!!!

But, we had a lotta fun... especially when Chester took off, after a YUGE Jackrarebit, and Teddy took off, after Chester... whining the whole time.

The rarebit took a very steep route, up a high hill... Chester reached the bottom and stopped. He stared at the rarebit for a few seconds, then turned toward me and shrugged before leading Teddy back to me.

That made their hike... as well as mine!!

I forgot... coming home, some YUGE Ram dually flew by, in the left lane. I checked the side mirror and saw the side of his 5th wheel coming WAY close to 44.

Edit: his trailer axle was out of “square” or his whole frame was skewed. The rear of his trailer tracked about a foot to the passenger side of his truck. He probably ran a number of people off the highway.​

I drove off-road, to escape, and laid on the horn. meep-meep!!

I decided then that I would install an air horn, for next time. Probably won’t help, but it will be much more satisfying!!

Horn should be here Monday.

Last edited:
I installed a Hadley air horn about 5 years ago. I run 110psi in a little about 1 gallon tank. It really gets attention when used!!! Glad to hear your wife is doing better and on the mend. You will love the air horn.
JP

I installed a Hadley air horn about 5 years ago. I run 110psi in a little about 1 gallon tank. It really gets attention when used!!! Glad to hear your wife is doing better and on the mend. You will love the air horn.
JP

Thanks JP!!

Dianna still has two more months of physical therapy until she can rice again.

She’s doing very well, but is VERY restricted in what she can do... her bicep tendon head was shredded very badly, so the surgeon “released” the tendon.

That’s the source of much of her pain.

Her sister came over to spend this past weekend with her, so I threw the boys into 44 and drove out to the Refuge for 2 nights.

The first night was great, just cold.

Sunday morning was sunny and cool, after the sun came up. So, we headed out, for a 6 hour hike... over hill and dell, near where Mark and I hiked a couple of years ago.

We saw a lot of new drainages and rock formations, but all the same, in appearance, as those I’ve shared before.

So, I didn’t bother taking pictures.

By the time we returned to 44, the wind was blowing ~30mph and dirt was blowing.

The wind and dirt was forecast, so I had put everything back into 44 before we left on our hike.

We went home and now I have dirt everywhere again... when my eyes clear, I’ll clean it all up.

IH8BLOWINGDIRT!!!

But, we had a lotta fun... especially when Chester took off, after a YUGE Jackrarebit, and Teddy took off, after Chester... whining the whole time.

The rarebit took a very steep route, up a high hill... Chester reached the bottom and stopped. He stared at the rarebit for a few seconds, then turned toward me and shrugged before leading Teddy back to me.

That made their hike... as well as mine!!

Sometimes these camping trips and hikes are better when you don't bother with photo taking, ya know? I've fully documented several of our camping trips... but then sometimes I just don't take a single photo. There's something nice about the trips where you only have it in memory...

Sometimes these camping trips and hikes are better when you don't bother with photo taking, ya know? I've fully documented several of our camping trips... but then sometimes I just don't take a single photo. There's something nice about the trips where you only have it in memory...

Exactly!!

It alleviates the stress of trying to capture a picture that looks as awesome as the real thing!!

Removed my oem horn (only had one)... meep, no meep-meep... and installed this little AIR HORN.

The horn includes its own compressor and came with a Bosch relay... the horn draws 18amps, so use of the relay is required.

The oem horn wires connect to relay-86 (trigger) and relay-85 (ground), battery+ to relay-30/51 and relay-87, to horn+, using an inline 20amp fuse.

The horn- grounds.

I’m pleased... rather than a shy meep, I now have a manly horn, with the ability to blow truck/trailers into their own lane.

:steer:

Danny won’t you blow,
Danny won’t you blow,
Danny won’t you blow your hor, or, orn
( I couldn’t resist! :D)

Just got back from four days of camping in DV. Perfect weather.

I have been thinking about an air horn that sounds like a train horn. I was stuck in traffic in Memphis and someone behind me hit his train horn and scared me silly as I immediately started looking for railroad tracks. It really gave me pucker factor of about 9.

Looks like a nice compact horn Danny, let us know how it sounds.

Nice horn Danny, I agree it is louder than the single originals.

Removed my oem horn (only had one)... meep, no meep-meep... and installed this little AIR HORN.

The horn includes its own compressor and came with a Bosch relay... the horn draws 18amps, so use of the relay is required.

The oem horn wires connect to relay-86 (trigger) and relay-85 (ground), battery+ to relay-30/51 and relay-87, to horn+, using an inline 20amp fuse.

The horn- grounds.

I’m pleased... rather than a shy meep, I now have a manly horn, with the ability to blow truck/trailers into their own lane.

:steer:

This looks like a nice solution! However, if your OEM horn isn’t working for unknown reasons (I’ve spent way too much time trying to figure it out), I’m guessing this won’t work either until the issues are solved. Of course it is cheap so might be worth the shot.

This looks like a nice solution! However, if your OEM horn isn’t working for unknown reasons (I’ve spent way too much time trying to figure it out), I’m guessing this won’t work either until the issues are solved. Of course it is cheap so might be worth the shot.

Huh?

Oem horn worked... just shy and embarrassing.

Those I honked at either ignored me, didn’t hear me, or laughed their ass off at me.

This air horn works, its loud and makes me feel markedly substantial.

I'm thinking I might go with a train horn one day, just to make sure people get the message.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom